Gulf Oil Spill 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf Oil Spill 2010

I'm thinking this needs it's own thread separate from the Obama one now, since some rumors say that they're having no luck sealing the well and it may be *months* before they can seal it.

*****http://media.nola.com/news_impact/photo/oil-forecast-043010bjpg-7aabc677a5788ff0.jpg******

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/deep...cret_memo.html

"The following is not public," reads the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Emergency Response document dated April 28. "Two additional release points were found today in the tangled riser. If the riser pipe deteriorates further, the flow could become unchecked resulting in a release volume an order of magnitude higher than previously thought."
    In scientific circles, an order of magnitude means something is 10 times larger. In this case, an order of magnitude higher would mean the volume of oil coming from the well could be 10 times higher than the 5,000 barrels a day coming out now. That would mean 50,000 barrels a day, or 2.1 million gallons a day. It appears the new leaks mentioned in the Wednesday release are the leaks reported to the public late Wednesday night.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Re: Gulf Oil Spill 2010

Oil is such a wonderful natural resource.

Comment

if NOAA's scenario is true, we've got a catastrophe on epic proportions.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I'll reiterate my comments after watching the ABC news show this morning where they interviewed the BP rep.

It's fun to watch BP get caught in their lies this morning about their safety precautions and their ability to react to a spill. The letters ABC showed this morning shows clearly how they lobby against safety regulations, AND they lied about their ability to react to a spill on this platform.

Good job outta them.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So why weren't they able to get some oil booms around the slick earlier, kept it semicontained??
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
            So why weren't they able to get some oil booms around the slick earlier, kept it semicontained??
            Sounds like

1) BP downplayed the severity of the issue for the first couple days.

2) 20,000 gallons of oil a day is too much

3) Weather's been so windy and waves so choppy that in the places where they've tried to isolate portions and burn it, that it isn't always working anyway.

4) Because it's starting so deep, it's seeping out and reaching the surface in a very big area instead of being able to point at a spot in the ocean and say "it's surfacing there."
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Sounds like

1) BP downplayed the severity of the issue for the first couple days.

2) 20,000 gallons of oil a day is too much

3) Weather's been so windy and waves so choppy that in the places where they've tried to isolate portions and burn it, that it isn't always working anyway.

4) Because it's starting so deep, it's seeping out and reaching the surface in a very big area instead of being able to point at a spot in the ocean and say "it's surfacing there."
              The letters BP wrote in favor of this platform clearly said that 20,000 gallons WAS NOT going to happen.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                The letters BP wrote in favor of this platform clearly said that 20,000 gallons WAS NOT going to happen.
                Clearly they were just running efficiently and should be praised for their ability to overachieve!

Comment

Drill, baby, drill!

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Drill, baby, drill!
                    It's a pretty sad situation. One industry is effectively destroying two others with this spill. The economy down there just starting to recover after Katrina is going to be decimated again.

Comment

Friend of mine had this FB status a few days ago, which I will post here for it's awesome irony:

BP would not accept my paper resume at a career fair because it was "harmful to the environment". Now, they are responsible for what might be the largest oil spill in human history. I simply don't have words to describe what I think BP can go do to themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Friend of mine had this FB status a few days ago, which I will post here for it's awesome irony:
                        To be fair, and certainly not excusing BP for this oil slick, but that's what happens when you make "being green" into a litmus test and politically correct attitude. "Green"ness is probably the most ridiculous pseudo-scientific idea to come down the pipe in quite awhile and it trivializes the issues into some sort of awkward encompassing belief system.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Awful luck of BP to have to announce their 6.1 billion quarterly profit yesterday.
                          I'm assuming the clean-up bill will cut into that somewhat.

After four years of record profits through gouging, its payback time (cost of doing business).
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Awful luck of BP to have to announce their 6.1 billion quarterly profit yesterday.
                            I'm assuming the clean-up bill (cost of doing business) will cut into that somewhat.
                            Awww, poor babies.
                            Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                              To be fair, and certainly not excusing BP for this oil slick, but that's what happens when you make "being green" into a litmus test and politically correct attitude. "Green"ness is probably the most ridiculous pseudo-scientific idea to come down the pipe in quite awhile and it trivializes the issues into some sort of awkward encompassing belief system.
                              it a belief system based on the poor grasp of economics and mathematics. Oil and natural gas are so superior in regards to energy density, storage and cost that nothing will compete for some time. The corn ethanol and woody biomass movement is a complete scam too. Went to the Biomass conference up at crystal city in march, and it was basically a bunch of guys trying to advocate burning down trees because they are "renewable" (they grow back in what, 30 years?)

We hate on oil, but by using our computers, driving out cars and living our lives, we support it. Its easy to sit here behind our screens and wave our hands at these guys, but by living our lives, we automatically assume some responsibility. Oil is getting harder to get, they have to dig 5 mile wells to get it...they will deliver as long as we consume.
                              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Working...
                              X