Computer Question Release 100.200-Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Question Release 100.200-Mac

I have an iMac with Tiger OS-X 10.4. I bought the "Mac Box" for Snow Leopard, and all of the other "goodies" that come with it . For a number of reasons, I did not go with the $29 Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade, even though I've read it usually installs pretty easily w/o Leopard. But I figured Steve Jobs needs to pay the rent too. Has anyone done the complete Tiger to Snow Leopard "leap" as Apple prescribes? Any issues with regard to backing up files, etc.? Most of the stuff I've found online is from/for people with more technical background than me and they went the $29 upgrade route with few problems. I presume Mac Box route should go smoothly, but who knows?

Thanks.
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Re: Computer Question Release 100.200-Mac

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
    I have an iMac with Tiger OS-X 10.4. I bought the "Mac Box" for Snow Leopard, and all of the other "goodies" that come with it . For a number of reasons, I did not go with the $29 Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade, even though I've read it usually installs pretty easily w/o Leopard. But I figured Steve Jobs needs to pay the rent too. Has anyone done the complete Tiger to Snow Leopard "leap" as Apple prescribes? Any issues with regard to backing up files, etc.? Most of the stuff I've found online is from/for people with more technical background than me and they went the $29 upgrade route with few problems. I presume Mac Box route should go smoothly, but who knows?

Thanks.
    I've never done the upgrade path you're talking about - my work machine went Leopard -> Snow Leopard and my personal machine is a Powerbook G4 so I can't even run Snow Leopard on it. I suspect everything will be fine for you, but if you're really worried you should get something like carboncopycloner and make a full, bootable clone of your HDD on an external drive of some kind. That way, if everything goes horribly wrong you've got a full backup of your machine and you can restore it to its original state.

You could also use rsync to accomplish something similar, although I've never needed a bootable rsync copy of anything..

I haven't used 3.3 - my version of CCC is outrageously old, and I don't actually use it anymore - but I was happy with it.

http://www.bombich.com/

You'll want to back up all of your documents and whatnot before you upgrade anyway, so you may as well go for the whole thing. Whether you use CCC or some other backup utility is up to you - that just happens to be the one I've used in the past.

Comment

I have done it, and didn't have any problems.

You still should have a backup just in case.

Comment

Update ... I did the Snow Leopard install last night and it went pretty well. Did a clean install to clean up potential issues with the hard drive. It didn't take too long, and I'm amazed at how much faster this OS seems to be. The only hitch was it didn't automatically recognize my Airport wireless, but it took Safari about 30 seconds to figure out the issue and get me online. I'll probably install "iLife" this weekend. Not sure if I'll do "iWork" or just use Office. Thanks for the comments.
        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
          Update ... I did the Snow Leopard install last night and it went pretty well. Did a clean install to clean up potential issues with the hard drive. It didn't take too long, and I'm amazed at how much faster this OS seems to be. The only hitch was it didn't automatically recognize my Airport wireless, but it took Safari about 30 seconds to figure out the issue and get me online. I'll probably install "iLife" this weekend. Not sure if I'll do "iWork" or just use Office. Thanks for the comments.
          Snow Leopard is built completely for the intel based machines and is much than Leopard on them. I still on PPC hardware (dual G5 tower bought about 6 months before the announcement of the intel switch ) and Leopard is blazing fast so I'm putting off upgrading to intel for another year.
          Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
          NFL Min
          MLB NYM, Min
          NHL Min, Dal
          NCAAB Min, Baylor
          NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
          Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

Working...
          X