Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite App? (iPhone, Droid, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite App? (iPhone, Droid, etc)

Please forgive me if this has already been done before... I float in and out with uscho...

Just got a new phone... looking for a few cool apps.... what are some of your favorites!?!
    This space for rent... cheap!

Re: What's your favorite App? (iPhone, Droid, etc)

I really like SoundHound, which lets you record a bit of a song on your phone and it will contact its server and tell you the name of the song. There's another app that does the same thing that was shown in an iPhone commercial a while back (can't remember the name) but I tested both and found SoundHound to be quicker.

The mobile apps for Yelp and IMDB are also useful, and if you use a major bank they probably have an app for accessing account information and using your phone's GPS to find the closest ATM.
    Cornell University Men's Hockey
    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
      I really like SoundHound, which lets you record a bit of a song on your phone and it will contact its server and tell you the name of the song. There's another app that does the same thing that was shown in an iPhone commercial a while back (can't remember the name) but I tested both and found SoundHound to be quicker.
      Not sure about for the iPhone, but Driod has "Shazam" which has the same feature.

I like CalorieCounter, which has a pretty good range of both fast food and regular food and gives you a pretty good estimate of your daily intake. It can also take into account your daily activity and give you the net gain/loss of calories for the day.

Haven't found a sports widget that I like yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
        Haven't found a sports widget that I like yet.
        SportsMobile (I believe) is a good way to check on scores on anything but college hockey.

Also I enjoy the MLB App because of the nice boxscores and whatnot.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I phone (all free apps):

Google: Fantastic

You tube: Great

Bump: Allows you to share contacts and things with nearby Iphones without wires

Dragon: Good voice to text transcription

Sirius XM: If you already subscribe in your car, you can get it on your I- phone for a few bucks more a month.

News: AP, NPR, New York Times, CBC radio, BBC, CNBC, Time, Local news

SocialNetworking: Facebook and LinkedIn. Tune Out is also good for following only the people you really like on facebook

Travel: TripTracker (itinerarries), Gate Guru (airport info), AroundMe (GPS tells you stuff around you at that moment), TaxiMagic (for taxis), MetrO (global city transit system info), translator, currency (converter), CondeNast Traveller Gold List

Food: OpenTable (restuarants), Epicurious, Wine Prices,

Entertainment: TV Guide, IMDB, Fandango, Fart sounds (always fun), National Film Board of Canada (has loads of interesting films), EarthCam (different live cameras aroud the country and the world)

Sports: ESPN Score Center, NHL Ice Time, The Hockey News (THN), NCAA Videos

Real Estate: Zillow

Shopping: Amazon, ShopSavvy (reads bar codes)

Comment

I only use a couple apps for my Blackberry at the moment (besides the stores themselves).

MLB At-Bat ($15) - The price tag is the cost of the radio broadcasts for the year that comes with it, so the app in essence is free. Has Box scores and live gameday. Gets better with each update, as it just became compatible with BB this season.

Weatherbug (Free) - Lets me save several locations for quick weather info when I travel to visit family and friends.
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I have an Android:

Google Sky is probably my fave

I use the Dolphin Browser instead of the stock one...it is the Dolphin is the Mozilla browser.

I have way too many apps
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I have a Black Berry Tour with Verizon.

I like the Amazon and Weather Channel apps.

I bought a "white noise" app for $2.99.

I also use KQ-92 (Minneapolis radio station) and Pandora quite a bit. The NHL app is also pretty good for catching scores, and hockey news.
                "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

ESPN Score Center is a MUST.

The CNN app is very good too.
                  UNH Wildcat Hockey

Comment

Thinking about getting the HTC Incredible on Thursday.

Anyone hear good/bad things?
                    Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

I've got a blackberry storm with VZ.

Youmail: Voicemail app, sends me emails/texts when I get a voicemail and has several pre-loaded messages to give callers (even on a per-caller basis... that ex you don't want calling? Yep, you can prank him/her with a couple)

Pandora/Slacker Radio: I've got both, as both have their +'s and -'s.

Skydeck: Syncs contacts to my phonebook and will "name" unknown contacts based on who the # is registered to. Has become pretty useful and runs in the background without slowing my phone down.

Quickpull Light: Simulates a hard-reset with the battery pull that so many of us blackberry users know all too well.

Blackstar: GPS addon that can track speed/location/altitude and is ideally suited for geocacheing, although I'm not using it for that.

Comment

iphone

twc
                        echofon
                        directv
                        ebay
                        fandango
                        golfshot gps ($30 )
                        scorecenter
                        iodds
                        at bat 2010

have many others (news & sports & games), but these are the ones i use most.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Shazam
                          Facebook
                          ESPN Scorecenter
                          MLB At-Bat
                          AIM
                          App Sniper

If you jailbreak
                          iFile
                          SNES4iPhone

Those are the ones I couldn't do without.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                            Thinking about getting the HTC Incredible on Thursday.

Anyone hear good/bad things?
                            G4 gave this a 5/5 rating in their review.

They said the only thing you might not like is that the accelorometer only works in 1 direction (i.e., turning it right it will shift, turning it left it won't) . Otherwise it does everything great.

It made me want to get one since its running Android 2.1 and the HTC UI. But I will have to wait till after September. I don't want to re-buy MLB At-Bat for this season.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

It made me want to get one since its running Android 2.1 and the HTC UI. But I will have to wait till after September. I don't want to re-buy MLB At-Bat for this season.
                              I think android apps are tied to your google email address, so you would be able to just redownload it on your new phone. Unless you have it on some other platform and then you can just ignore this.

Comment

Working...
                              X