X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grinding Away..Things that grind your gears, part three

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
    I've seen that a lot around here lately. And I'm pretty sure its illegal in Minnesota.
    It's not as bad of an offense as talking on a phone or texting while driving, but its still patently dangerous.

At least with a loud stereo, there's still some hope that you might hear exterior noises like sirens and people honking at you.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      It's not as bad of an offense as talking on a phone or texting while driving, but its still patently dangerous.

At least with a loud stereo, there's still some hope that you might hear exterior noises like sirens and people honking at you.
      After some quick internet research, it looks like its illegal in MN to have earphones in both ears while driving. One ear is permitted; I'm assuming for cell phone use. However, it doesn't appear its a "moving" violation, so it won't affect your insurance if you're ticketed for it. That's bogus, IMO.
      Last edited by johnnypohlfan; 04-27-2010, 04:34 PM. Reason: forgot to say that this is MN law

Comment

Originally posted by JuveGG24 View Post
        People with earbuds in while driving. There is no way you can be aware of your surroundings while wearing them.
        I admit, I'm guilty of that. But I only do it when driving home from the gym at night if there is nothing good on the radio.

Speaking of people honking at you, I was sitting in rush hour last Friday, moving at most at 5 MPH every now and then. I left some room between myself and the car in front of me, pretty standard stuff.

All of a sudden this lady pulls into the right lane from behind me (I'm in the left lane) and she starts just letting me have it for no good reason. I've got my windows rolled up at the time, so I couldn't hear what her complaint was. But I can't imagine I did anything at those speeds to offend anybody.
        04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
        USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
        I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
        Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
        I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
          I admit, I'm guilty of that. But I only do it when driving home from the gym at night if there is nothing good on the radio.

Speaking of people honking at you, I was sitting in rush hour last Friday, moving at most at 5 MPH every now and then. I left some room between myself and the car in front of me, pretty standard stuff.

All of a sudden this lady pulls into the right lane from behind me (I'm in the left lane) and she starts just letting me have it for no good reason. I've got my windows rolled up at the time, so I couldn't hear what her complaint was. But I can't imagine I did anything at those speeds to offend anybody.
          What's even worse than that are the people who nearly run you off the road, then get upset at you for it.

Saturday, someone tried to change lanes into me and didn't know I was there til I honked. Of course, he proceeded to make "what's your problem?" gestures at me, as though he were baffled by my lack of a desire for him to merge into me.

Friday, I was on the freeway, and there was a fairly sudden stop (like from 35 to 0... annoying, but standard rush hour stuff). I, not being a moron, had left myself enough space in front of me that I was able to stop without coming to too jarring of a halt. Person behind me (on a cell phone, mind you) has to go onto the shoulder to avoid rear ending me. She is either (a) following me too closely, or (b) not observant enough to notice when to stop or (c) all of the above. Of course, she makes the "what are you doing?" gestures to me from the shoulder. Clearly, it's my fault that she's on the shoulder.

If I'm ever behind someone that does that, and they're all the way on the shoulder, I will be very tempted to edge up and take their place in traffic, stranding them on the shoulder. Is that asking for trouble? Yes. Is it still fun to imagine doing it? Of course.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Tell me you didn't actually call the hotel- but the 800 number...

Never, never, ever call the actual hotel for a H.I. reservation.

We did that once, and they hung up on us, so I called the 800 number, and got a room (it was the only one in the area- I told the manager about the "incident" and he denyed it- so we just don't travel there anymore).

I'd bet that we could call H.I., use the g-rate, and get a room in 8 months from now for the FF...
            I called the 1-800 number, was reconnected/transferred to the res manager. Don't care now, I got my room.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Neighbors who decide to start working on their basement at 9:30 PM and begin operating power drills at full blast right on the other side of the wall from where you are sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Neighbors who decide to start working on their basement at 9:30 PM and begin operating power drills at full blast right on the other side of the wall from where you are sitting.
                http://www.municode.com/
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Umpires and Jesse Crain.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Umpires and Jesse Crain.
                    And Scott Baker.
                    04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                    USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                    I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                    Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                    I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                      Umpires and Jesse Crain.
                      Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
                      And Scott Baker.
                      These.

Makes me glad I didn't watch the game last night.
                      I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Google's new layout.

Fugly...
                        Code:
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The headache I have had for three days now.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

so, this is completely minor but I found it ridiculous.

Went to Dairy Queen with the softball team and was told I couldn't have peanut butter cups on my sundae. Appearantly the manager/owner/policy maker of the Stadium Blvd, Ann Arbor Dairy Queen has decided not to allow "Blizzard toppings" on sundaes. Preposterous! Charge me extra and let me have toppings on my sundae.

Besides, isn't "Blizzard toppings" is an oxymoron? They put stuff "in" Blizzards and then mix it in/smash it to pieces. "Toppings" are what go "on top" of sundaes.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              so, this is completely minor but I found it ridiculous.

Went to Dairy Queen with the softball team and was told I couldn't have peanut butter cups on my sundae. Appearantly the manager/owner/policy maker of the Stadium Blvd, Ann Arbor Dairy Queen has decided not to allow "Blizzard toppings" on sundaes. Preposterous! Charge me extra and let me have toppings on my sundae.

Besides, isn't "Blizzard toppings" is an oxymoron? They put stuff "in" Blizzards and then mix it in/smash it to pieces. "Toppings" are what go "on top" of sundaes.
                              I used to work at a DQ. They aren't supposed to allow this anywhere.
                              Code:

Comment

I seem to have misplaced my watch (probably in my yard, which means I now need a new watch), and have now looked at my empty wrist 8,247 times today...... so far. It is grinding my gears.

Comment

Working...
                                X