Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patriots' Offseason: Last Days of the Dynasty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Patriots' Offseason: Last Days of the Dynasty?

Well, here we go. First official day of training camp.

All the draft picks are signed and will be on time. LG Logan Mankins is still holding out.

Shawn Crable was cut yesterday. They spent a third-round draft choice on him three years ago and he never played a regular season down for the team.

Going into last year I thought New England had one of the best 7-8 rosters in the NFL. This year I don't feel that way, but I don't really know what to expect.

If the 2009 draft class can emerge (Butler/Chung in the defensive backfield, Vollmer at RT, and Tate/Adelman at WR) and they get some contributions from the 2010 class (if McCourty can slot himself as the third DB, Hernandez contributes in a pass-catching sense, Mesko improves last year's horrible punting game, and either Cunningham or Spikes --hopefully both -- show they know what they're doing out there), I'll feel pretty good about them making another run at a championship in the next 2-3 years, even though it might not be this year.

Should be an interesting season.

Comment

Huh.
      Nine-year veteran pass-rusher Derrick Burgess, who did not report Thursday for the start of the New England Patriots' training camp, is considering retirement from the NFL, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

Burgess, 31, re-signed with the Patriots this spring, after a three-month stint as an unrestricted free agent garnered only modest interest in him. He received a one-year, $1.5 million contract from the Pats.

Expected to provide New England with an outside pass rush, Burgess recorded only five sacks in '09, his first season with New England.

Sources said that, as recently as Wednesday, Burgess told associates that he was leaning toward retirement. Those same sources indicated, however, that Burgess could still change his mind about his immediate future. Patriots officials have been apprised that Burgess may retire.
      Starting OLBs project to be Tully Banta-Cain and either Rob Ninkovich or Pierre Woods. Not exactly Wilber Marshall and Otis Wilson . . .

Comment

Three-time Super Bowl champion David Patten retires as a Patriots this morning. He was a longshot to make the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
          Three-time Super Bowl champion David Patten retires as a Patriots this morning. He was a longshot to make the roster.
          I wonder if in the long-run he made more money by leaving or if he would have had 1-2 more years in his career, a la Troy, if he had stayed with the the Pats.
          I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
            I wonder if in the long-run he made more money by leaving or if he would have had 1-2 more years in his career, a la Troy, if he had stayed with the the Pats.
            Very possible. IIRC he hurt himself shortly after leaving, so that made it pretty tough.

Welker has passed his physical and is being removed from the PUP list. He will practice today.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason A View Post
              Welker has passed his physical and is being removed from the PUP list. He will practice today.
              His speed and ability to change direction are what made so good, I can't imagine him having much of a season this year.
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                His speed and ability to change direction are what made so good, I can't imagine him having much of a season this year.
                Can we quote you?
                Originally posted by mookie1995
                bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                  Can we quote you?
                  I've had many knee problems so yeah you can quote me. I realize he's pro but it takes time to rehabilitate from something as traumatic. I'd like to see him light it up but...
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Pats worked out Ogunleye yesterday. Sounds like they might bring him in if Burgess doesn't show.

Comment

Or perhaps (per Reiss) . . .
                      FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The situation involving veteran defensive end Aaron Schobel and the Buffalo Bills is worthy of monitoring from a Patriots perspective.

The Bills announced this morning that they are moving on without Schobel.

If Schobel is released, and decides he is not retiring, he could be exactly what the Patriots need.

With Derrick Burgess contemplating retirement, the Patriots have a question mark at rush defensive end/outside linebacker. Five players are currently on the roster at that spot: Tully Banta-Cain, Jermaine Cunningham, Rob Ninkovich, Pierre Woods and Marques Murrell.

Of the group, Banta-Cain was called a "leader" by coach Bill Belichick on Monday morning. Cunningham is a second-round draft choice who shows some early promise. Ninkovich, Woods and Murrell have primarily been special teams contributors to this point, with Woods seeing the most time in the regular defense (20 percent of the snaps in 2009).

If the Patriots could sign Schobel, he would immediately become their top rush defensive end in sub packages. Considering the Patriots were in sub packages 50 percent of the time in 2009, that would be a big addition.

Schobel has been a pure 4-3 defensive end over his career, so there would be a learning curve in terms of him playing outside linebacker in the 3-4 alignment, where setting the edge against the run is a top responsibility.

But if the Patriots pursue him, it's hard to imagine they'd be relying on him much in that type of role. They'd want him to rush the passer, where he could potentially answer one of the team's top question marks.

Comment

that's interesting...all depends on what he has in the tank...we had a few hits a while ago but a few misses lately...but better than Tully and the No-names.
                        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I'd be all for this. I recall him giving Matt Light fits in the past, which isn't saying much but still he seems like a good player. Somebody get that Schroder guy's opinion of him will ya?
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

This is bad. I was all for playing hardball with Mankins, but this could throw a wrench into that.
                            FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots opened training camp with a large void at left guard -- the result of Logan Mankins not reporting in a contract dispute -- and now the void could be even larger.

Mankins' replacement, Nick Kaczur, has, according to a league source, told teammates that he has a significant back injury that could sideline him indefinitely and potentially threaten his 2010 season. Kaczur could still seek another medical opinion, but the initial diagnosis is grim.

The Patriots, through a team spokesman, did not confirm the injury or the long-term prognosis for Kaczur.

Kaczur, a six-year veteran making the switch from right tackle to guard, has been sidelined for the Patriots' past 11 training camp practices, not including walk-through sessions.

That has the Patriots down to their third layer of depth at left guard, with five-year veteran Dan Connolly lining up with the starting unit. Connolly, who originally joined the practice squad in 2007, has four career starts, all coming last season.

Second-year player Ryan Wendell, who has spent parts of the past two seasons on the Patriots' practice squad, projects as Connolly's top backup. He has played in two career games.

The Patriots also signed veteran center/guard Eric Ghiaciuc, who has played in 48 career games with 42 starts from 2005 to 2008, on Wednesday. Second-year player Rich Ohrnberger (2009 fourth-round pick) and rookie Ted Larsen (2010 sixth-round pick) are other options at left guard.

Comment

Great to see football again.

That was a pretty good performance tonight. It's always tough to tell much from preseason, but they seemed to know what they were doing out there.

Butler struggled a bit, I thought, while McCourty looked solid on D and great on special teams. Could be a competition to see who starts opposite Bodden.

Comment

Is it just me or was Bob Kraft hammered last night during the Sam Cunningham HOF induction? The man made Rover look sober which is saying a lot.
                                Fighting the good fight

Comment

Working...
                                X