X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama XI: Turn And Face The Strange

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
    We can start with the definition held by 99% of the world since the beginning of recorded history.
    You mean this definition?

"According to the Ethnographic Atlas Codebook, of 1231 societies noted, 186 were monogamous. 453 had occasional polygyny, 588 had more frequent polygyny, and 4 had polyandry. At the same time, even within societies which allow polygyny, the actual practice of polygyny occurs relatively rarely. There are exceptions: in Senegal, for example, nearly 47 percent of marriages are multiple.[7] To take on more than one wife often requires considerable resources: this may put polygamy beyond the means of the vast majority of people within those societies. Such appears the case in many traditional Islamic societies, and in Imperial China. Within polygynous societies, multiple wives often become a status symbol denoting wealth and power. Similarly, within societies that formally prohibit polygamy, social opinion may look favorably on people maintaining mistresses or engaging in serial monogamy."

Try again.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
      Perhaps Obama then should have gone to a Wal-Mart on a Saturday.
      But those people don't know whats best for them .
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Patman

As I see it, because any consumption tax that is collected at the point of sale is easily auditable, plus is it should be more "fair" than the current income tax.
        Right now, the government doesn't see one red cent from under the table transactions and other "underground" transactions (to include illegal stuff, like the drug trade), because babysitters and drug dealers aren't exactly filling out W-4 forms.

Since the FairTax is a tax on consumption rather than productivity, those people are taxed for the first time. Say a drug dealer makes 100k a year selling weed. He doesn't pay a dime to the government, because what he does is illegal. Under the FairTax, however, when he goes to spend that money on anything legal (which everyone has to do at some point), from a burrito at 7-11 to a brand new sports car, he's paying the consumption tax.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Plante26 View Post
          We can start with the definition held by 99% of the world since the beginning of recorded history.
          Always like the "because its always been this way" argument. Plante, are we to take it that you're okay with slavery too, since you know, its been a common practice for 99% of recorded history.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Fair enough. There's just something about particularized identities having reserved slots that makes me queasy, while generalized identities are less an issue. To pick on liberal causes, I don't like the idea of a specifically black or Latino seat, but I understand the need to have racial minorities on the Court. All IMHO of course.
            agree. f. I agree with Kepler. my life is going down the tubes!
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              But those people don't know whats best for them .
              Based on the time I've spent at WalMart, and to some degree Target as well, I'm almost glad voter participation is around 50% most cycles.
              "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                I usually don't agree with Scooby but this analysis is spot on.

Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                  Right now, the government doesn't see one red cent from under the table transactions and other "underground" transactions (to include illegal stuff, like the drug trade), because babysitters and drug dealers aren't exactly filling out W-4 forms.

Since the FairTax is a tax on consumption rather than productivity, those people are taxed for the first time. Say a drug dealer makes 100k a year selling weed. He doesn't pay a dime to the government, because what he does is illegal. Under the FairTax, however, when he goes to spend that money on anything legal (which everyone has to do at some point), from a burrito at 7-11 to a brand new sports car, he's paying the consumption tax.
                  ??? - But isn't he paying that tax on burritos and cars anyway? Furthermore, what's to stop him from just bartering his drugs for the new sports car? Or better yet just paying cash for it for a low amount and "trading" some of his product for it?
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                    You mean this definition?

"According to the Ethnographic Atlas Codebook, of 1231 societies noted, 186 were monogamous. 453 had occasional polygyny, 588 had more frequent polygyny, and 4 had polyandry. At the same time, even within societies which allow polygyny, the actual practice of polygyny occurs relatively rarely. There are exceptions: in Senegal, for example, nearly 47 percent of marriages are multiple.[7] To take on more than one wife often requires considerable resources: this may put polygamy beyond the means of the vast majority of people within those societies. Such appears the case in many traditional Islamic societies, and in Imperial China. Within polygynous societies, multiple wives often become a status symbol denoting wealth and power. Similarly, within societies that formally prohibit polygamy, social opinion may look favorably on people maintaining mistresses or engaging in serial monogamy."

Try again.
                    Dude you don't get it, his "recorded history" is basically the European Record. Remember, Europe was the first at everything, just ask them.

In THEIR recorded history marriage was between a man and a woman. So what if most of the rest of the world didnt say that throughout history, Europe did so it must be the way it is. Those other cultures are ignorant savages!
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      ??? - But isn't he paying that tax on burritos and cars anyway? Furthermore, what's to stop him from just bartering his drugs for the new sports car? Or better yet just paying cash for it for a low amount and "trading" some of his product for it?
                      The point with FairTax is that you get rid of the income tax (which won't affect the drug dealer, but will put more money in normal people's pockets) and then jack up the sales tax (by adding a Federal sales tax) which will bring most people back to about where they started, but will have a net "negative" effect on the money in the drug dealer's pocket.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Always like the "because its always been this way" argument. Plante, are we to take it that you're okay with slavery too, since you know, its been a common practice for 99% of recorded history.
                        We still have slavery on this planet because somebody can make a buck from it and the underclass does not have a champion who is willing/able to defend their rights.

But on a different note, isn't a prisoner a slave of the state?? They have limited freedom, limited rights, and do what they are told to do 24/7. They may receive substandard wages for doing menial jobs. Depending on the prisoner he/she may receive their freedom before they die.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Dude you don't get it, his "recorded history" is basically the European Record. Remember, Europe was the first at everything, just ask them.

In THEIR recorded history marriage was between a man and a woman. So what if most of the rest of the world didnt say that throughout history, Europe did so it must be the way it is. Those other cultures are ignorant savages!
                          Only if they did not want to reproduce. You still need both sexes to unite to procreate.

I think history has shown that a stable family unit seems to be the best way to raise children. What that stable unit is depends on the culture.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The Fair Tax is a consumption tax proposed at a 23% rate, so you would be capturing a lot more of the underground economy money in taxes. Those dealing in the underground economy still buy new cars, new houses, food, etc. They would pay the Fair Tax on anything (new) purchased at the retail level. It wouldn't get rid of the underground economy, but would capture a lot more money in taxes from that economy.

The Fair Tax would be a replacement tax, not an additional tax. It was designed to replace personal and corporate income taxes, payroll taxes, capital gains taxes, estate taxes, self-employment taxes, etc., and was designed to be revenue neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              The Fair Tax is a consumption tax proposed at a 23% rate, so you would be capturing a lot more of the underground economy money in taxes. Those dealing in the underground economy still buy new cars, new houses, food, etc. They would pay the Fair Tax on anything (new) purchased at the retail level. It wouldn't get rid of the underground economy, but would capture a lot more money in taxes from that economy.

The Fair Tax would be a replacement tax, not an additional tax. It was designed to replace personal and corporate income taxes, payroll taxes, capital gains taxes, estate taxes, self-employment taxes, etc., and was designed to be revenue neutral.
                              Imagine all of the foreign businesses who'll rush to open up shop in the United States if they knew they didn't have to pay any corporate income taxes or payroll taxes (which are, in the end, paid for by consumers anyway in the form of higher prices). Imagine all of the foreign investment, both in banks and in our markets, from people looking for a tax haven, especially from Europe. Want a stronger economy tomorrow? Enact the FairTax today.
                              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                Only if they did not want to reproduce. You still need both sexes to unite to procreate.

I think history has shown that a stable family unit seems to be the best way to raise children. What that stable unit is depends on the culture.
                                Any procreation argument ignores the many heterosexual couples that are unable to have children or chose not to. So a requirement for marriage under such an argument would, to be fair and not just an arbitrary standard, require that not only are you capable of it, but you actually do it. But no one who ever makes such an argument will call for a marriage inspector to see if a couple is being a good baby producer or it'll be revoked.

Comment

Working...
                                X