2012 Poster Cruise....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Poster Cruise....

I know I'll get some grief, as happened in the past post I put up about a cruise.

But I AM planning on a cruise for the 2012 Frozen Four in Tampa.

So, it's pretty much just two choices, one needs to be actually offered, the other, I'm sure will be there.

Choice 1) a 5 night cruise starting the Saturday prior to the FF, and ending the Thursday of the semi-Final. This trip makes the Frozen Four a pretty neat little week, arriving in Tampa the weekend prior to the hockey. Right now, Royal Carribbean (since I'm setting it up, it's my choice) has two stops, both in Mexico. But that's not important yet. The ship is pretty new, and I expect it to stay the same in 2012- the big draw back is that it's not one of the really big ships, so it does NOT have a rink. Cpst right now looks to be $500 inside, $600 outside, $700 balcony.

Choice 2) a 7 night cruise starting the Sunday after the FF, and ending a week later. This cruise starts and ends in Port Canaveral, which is on the other side of the state from Tampa. Not a horrible ride across, but the ship is a HUGE one, and does have the rink. There are 4 stops, but it depends on the schedule whether east or west... Cost- right now it looks to be $700 for inside, $800 outside, and $1050 for balcony- all Per Person.

All food is included, all on ship entertaiment included, not drinks. We love cruising, and find it a pretty great deal. And we love the big ships- for whatever reason, the bigger the ship, the less you notice all the others around. With enough people coming, the cost will drop- when we did a cruise of 20, one person was free- so we gave money back to each person. I have no idea how big the group needs to be, but already know a small contingent is interested.

I know this seems to be WAY out there, but I also know given enough time, people can save up some money to make a Forzen Four trip that much more. And it's a great vacation to take with friends, since there's really so many options that you can all go off and come back for dinner to share the day.

So, IF you could choose, would it be 5 nights that makes a single week (without a rink) or 7 nights for a longer trip.

Thanks.

Re: 2012 Poster Cruise....

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    the big draw back is that it's not one of the really big ships, so it does NOT have a rink.

the ship is a HUGE one, and does have the rink.
    I guess I don't get out much...

A cruise ship... in/near the Caribbean... with an ice rink on board?

Obviously, I've never been on a cruise, but a rink on board a ship would be the last thing I would think to look for!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2023 National Champions
    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
    Northeast Regional:
    West Regional: 2015, 2021
    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I knew they had rinks, but have yet to actually see one....

In any case, to answer the question posed, if, for some reason, I could actually do this, I would rather do the 5 day cruise before the FF. That way I'd only have to take a week off from work, rather than a week+.
      Orginally Posted by Sloe Gin - Legal is the Queen of the board.

Race Diva and "Ruler of the South"

Originally posted by UMDbulldogs#1
      I must say that I was impressed by the amount of alcohol she coud handle.

Originally posted by Markt
      That almost lifts the sadness of realizing just how far out of my league Legal is. Almost.

Comment

Hm. Ironic that you bring up this idea. I'm hoping to be able to go to the 2012 FF, assuming that I'm off of the ship I will hopefully be working on at that time. That said, I don't foresee myself wanting to work on cruise ships, so any potential discounts from me aren't likely, however I won't rule that out until I sign a contract next year.

If I'm not working in April, 2012; either would work for me, as I would go 1-4 months working, 1-4 months off, so time off wouldn't matter.

Comment

I'm am intrigued and might go along with this.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            I guess I don't get out much...

A cruise ship... in/near the Caribbean... with an ice rink on board?

Obviously, I've never been on a cruise, but a rink on board a ship would be the last thing I would think to look for!
            The two largest class ship in the RCCL line all have rinks- on the bottom level. It's kind of surreal to have it, that's for sure. But they do skating shows during the cruise, and have open skating events.

What's really, really cool about the open skates- the skate "rentals' are some of the best rentals I've ever used- not the boot- horrible plastic- but the blades are nice and sharp. I think the performers are the ones who keep the rental skates in shape- so they KNOW sharp skates mean safe skaters.

One appealing thing I think would be super cool... jersies. If on the big ship, with open skate time, it would be really cool if we all showed our team colors. On both ships, each cruise has a Carribbean dinner- where people are supposed to be less formal, casual, etc. Most people wear some kind of Hawaiian shirt, but I think it would be way cool if we all wore our team jersey that night too.

So in terms of votes- 1 5 night. 0 7 night.

(I'm not going to vote, since I'm good with either)

Even IF you are not sure, please put up your opinions.

Comment

I have friends down in tampa, and am always interested in spring-ish trips. However committing this early is all but impossible.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                I have friends down in tampa, and am always interested in spring-ish trips. However committing this early is all but impossible.
                Just want to make it clear, I'm not even close to asking people to coimmit to this cruise- just to state opinions on which one you would rather do IF you could.

The way I plan on setting this up, people will be able to join the group all the way up to the last min. But by knowing which cruise, and knowing probable costs, people might be able to save both time and money to go on this trip

So, again, don't feel by stating opinions that you are being signed up- you are not. You are just telling me what you would rather do.

Comment

If I were to do it (while I'm interested, and am planning to go to that FF, like others said, it's way too early to commit), I'd prefer the 5 day option, for the same reason as legal_hit - don't want to take more time off than I need to.
                  "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Just want to make it clear, I'm not even close to asking people to coimmit to this cruise- just to state opinions on which one you would rather do IF you could.

The way I plan on setting this up, people will be able to join the group all the way up to the last min. But by knowing which cruise, and knowing probable costs, people might be able to save both time and money to go on this trip

So, again, don't feel by stating opinions that you are being signed up- you are not. You are just telling me what you would rather do.
                    word, I put the same disclaimer for the FF this year in detriot - I run my own company so anything and everything happens. By 2012 things should be much more predictable!

As for the type of cruise, probably 1-2 days. Never been on one before though.

Wow, will be 31 than. Should still be a good time!
                    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

I know I'll get some grief, as happened in the past post I put up about a cruise.

But I AM planning on a cruise for the 2012 Frozen Four in Tampa.

So, it's pretty much just two choices, one needs to be actually offered, the other, I'm sure will be there.

Choice 1) a 5 night cruise starting the Saturday prior to the FF, and ending the Thursday of the semi-Final. This trip makes the Frozen Four a pretty neat little week, arriving in Tampa the weekend prior to the hockey. Right now, Royal Carribbean (since I'm setting it up, it's my choice) has two stops, both in Mexico. But that's not important yet. The ship is pretty new, and I expect it to stay the same in 2012- the big draw back is that it's not one of the really big ships, so it does NOT have a rink. Cpst right now looks to be $500 inside, $600 outside, $700 balcony.

Choice 2) a 7 night cruise starting the Sunday after the FF, and ending a week later. This cruise starts and ends in Port Canaveral, which is on the other side of the state from Tampa. Not a horrible ride across, but the ship is a HUGE one, and does have the rink. There are 4 stops, but it depends on the schedule whether east or west... Cost- right now it looks to be $700 for inside, $800 outside, and $1050 for balcony- all Per Person.

All food is included, all on ship entertaiment included, not drinks. We love cruising, and find it a pretty great deal. And we love the big ships- for whatever reason, the bigger the ship, the less you notice all the others around. With enough people coming, the cost will drop- when we did a cruise of 20, one person was free- so we gave money back to each person. I have no idea how big the group needs to be, but already know a small contingent is interested.

I know this seems to be WAY out there, but I also know given enough time, people can save up some money to make a Forzen Four trip that much more. And it's a great vacation to take with friends, since there's really so many options that you can all go off and come back for dinner to share the day.

So, IF you could choose, would it be 5 nights that makes a single week (without a rink) or 7 nights for a longer trip.

Thanks.
                      Not sure if I could do it, though I am planning on going to that FF. If I did end up doing this, I would prefer the 5 night option.

It really only costs about $100 per night for a cruise like this? I expected it to be more expensive. At $500 for the 5 night trip, I may consider doing it, if others are doing it and it works out with work and such.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Very intriguing. Mrs. Gonzo and I are cruise people and this sounds like fun. We usually sail Princess, but have heard good reviews about Royal Caribbean. I'd be more interested in option one, just because it would take less time off of work overall. Mrs. doesn't get as much time off as I do.
                        Thanks for conceptualizing this alfablue - I'll be watching this thread!

Comment

I am interested in a Cruise before or after the Tampa Frozen Four. Great idea!

Although I can see the benefit in fewer days off work, I'm more interested in the 7 day. I love to travel and see new places...so the itinerary is of the most importance to me. A 5 night cruise with just two stops both in Mexico doesn't get me too excited. Of course, I'd still manage to have fun.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by 2010 USCHO Lady Byng Winner wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            I am interested in a Cruise before or after the Tampa Frozen Four. Great idea!

Although I can see the benefit in fewer days off work, I'm more interested in the 7 day. I love to travel and see new places...so the itinerary is of the most importance to me. A 5 night cruise with just two stops both in Mexico doesn't get me too excited. Of course, I'd still manage to have fun.
                            I agree with all of the above.

Also, the on-ship rink is a major wild card. What are the dimensions of such a rink? Would it be big enough for 3 on 3 hockey? Usually 3 on 3 is played width-wise in a standard rink, using boards on three sides and a blue line for the boundary on the fourth side. Players on the "bench" stand of the blue line and keep the puck in play. I guess the question would be is the ice sheet at least 85 feet long?

Think of it -- a Posters' Game in international waters on a cruise ship!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              I agree with all of the above.

Also, the on-ship rink is a major wild card. What are the dimensions of such a rink? Would it be big enough for 3 on 3 hockey? Usually 3 on 3 is played width-wise in a standard rink, using boards on three sides and a blue line for the boundary on the fourth side. Players on the "bench" stand of the blue line and keep the puck in play. I guess the question would be is the ice sheet at least 85 feet long?

Think of it -- a Posters' Game in international waters on a cruise ship!
                              I can think of several better things to be doing on international waters than playing hockey.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                              X