Chiefs leaving Johnstown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiefs leaving Johnstown

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. -- In the 1977 cult hit movie "Slap Shot," when player/coach Reggie Dunlop learns his minor-league hockey team will fold, he boosts player morale by planting a phony story in the local paper: The Charlestown Chiefs are moving south.

And now, 22 years after they were founded in a moment of inspiration from the film, the real-life Johnstown Chiefs really are moving to Greenville, S.C.

FULL STORY
    http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mino...ory?id=5037018

Re: Chiefs leaving Johnstown

The only acceptable place for them to move would have been Charleston.

I have a lot of family in Johnstown (my cousins are all over the extras and crowd scenes in that movie) and this is a Bad Thing for a city that was put on this earth to endure bad things. At least this one is minor, but very sad.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So where are my boys going to play low level minor league hockey? *

* My last name is Hansen and I have 3 boys who play hockey. Yep, I get a copy of Slap Shot every year at Xmas from some wise fool.
      Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
      I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by MoFan View Post
        So where are my boys going to play low level minor league hockey? *

* My last name is Hansen and I have 3 boys who play hockey. Yep, I get a copy of Slap Shot every year at Xmas from some wise fool.
        SPHL with these goons. And for the lovers of goon fights, here's another camera angle.
        Last edited by Dirty; 03-29-2010, 11:01 AM.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
          SPHL with these goons. And for the lovers of goon fights, here's another camera angle.
          Looks like they had more fans than the NCAA regionals. And they'll have more fans for the next few games, too. Fighting sells in minor league hockey. BTW, here's the box score
          Last edited by joecct; 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So where are my boys going to play low level minor league hockey?
            The Iron League?
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So where are my boys going to play low level minor league hockey?
              The KHL

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Looks like they had more fans than the NCAA regionals. And they'll have more fans for the next few games, too. Fighting sells in minor league hockey. BTW, here's the box score
                I find it funny that 2 players from Fayetteville got game misconducts for "fighting off the ice" and no one from the other team got one. I hope they got penalized for fighting each other, teammates, in the tunnel.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Who own da Chiefs?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                    Who own da Chiefs?
                    ownssssss

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Game was forfeited at 10:45 3rd period due to 2 skaters remaining for Fayetteville
                      Classic!
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I find it funny that 2 players from Fayetteville got game misconducts for "fighting off the ice" and no one from the other team got one. I hope they got penalized for fighting each other, teammates, in the tunnel.
                        Even funnier when you realize that one of the players was the starting goaltender.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Machine took my quarter.
                          Always a Wildcat...
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Reggie Dunlop: You know, your son looks like a fag to me.
                            Anita McCambridge: I beg your pardon?
                            Reggie Dunlop: You better get re-married again, or he's gonna have someone's c888 in his mouth before you can say Jack Robinson.
                            "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

oh well... i go there a couple times each summer to golf. obviously not around to watch any game.
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X