Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Open Letter To All USCHO Crackpots and Knuckledraggers - by Rover

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
    Have you actually read the student loan provisions? It's going to save us billions of dollars every year that we were gifting the banks. We were giving them subsidies to give student loans and then guaranteeing them to boot! Why give them subsidies and guaranteeing them? Now we're eliminating that handout. Thought you would be all for that.
    Yes, because the only two options in any industry are firm government control, or total government control. Heaven forbid we let the market set rates.
    Here's a real "shocker" in today's news: Wait, Obama lied about keeping your old plan?
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Yes, because the only two options in any industry are firm government control, or total government control. Heaven forbid we let the market set rates.
      Here's a real "shocker" in today's news: Wait, Obama lied about keeping your old plan?
      In this case total government control is better than giving money away to banks for no reason. But usually I'm right there with you on the paranoia bandwagon.
      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Have you actually read the student loan provisions? It's going to save us billions of dollars every year that we were gifting the banks. We were giving them subsidies to give student loans and then guaranteeing them to boot! Why give them subsidies and guaranteeing them? Now we're eliminating that handout. Thought you would be all for that.
        I agree Sallie, Nellie, etc. were crying, but they were probably crying crocodile tears. It certainly won't wipe out the private loan market, especially for graduate and professional schools. Given the relatively low limits for most govt loans and grants relative to the galloping costs of tuition and fees, I think there will be very rich margins in the market. Remember the rates on some of those private law school loans, and the bar study loans? I think we can probably kick them up 300-500 bps. Roll in the facts that most student loans are not dischargeable in Bk and the ABS markets are starting revive, and "there's gold in them thar hills!"
        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Hey Rover
          You'll love this
          http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...rivate-pl.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/rich...lub-republican
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Ummm...I applaud the RNC for trying to make the GOP a big tent party by reaching out to strippers?

Regarding health care, can somebody please tell me what bill the GOP coalesced around? Because while individual Republicans had their own plans, I don't recall a comprehensive bill that their House and Senate counterparts endorsed. That's the problem with this Repeal and Replace nonsense. Replace with what? If they come out in favor of the individual mandate, kiss the teabaggers goodbye. Are they in favor of keeping the pre-existing condition coverage? If so, how do they plan on paying for that? All of these questions will need to be answered by them in a campaign, and that's where the trouble starts. Its easy to criticize, but I'm real curious what they plan on replacing the bill with. That's a question they're gonna need to answer.
            Last edited by Rover; 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Does this mean the GOP is becoming more flexible on moral issues??

Comment

Anything that leads to Michael Steele being canned is 100% okay in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                  Anything that leads to Michael Steele being canned is 100% okay in my book.
                  Racist!
                  "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                    Racist!
                    Yep, you've caught me. I'm terribly prejudiced against people who are abysmal at their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      It seems they're pretty flexible when they think no one can see them
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                        Aura and Mystique are showing them that flexibility is an admirable quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          Aura and Mystique are showing them that flexibility is an admirable quality.
                          And for only $20 a song too ...

sigpic

Comment

If you read articles on both sides you'll see there was an alternative plan that saved approximately the same amount of money, saved thousands of jobs of people soon to be unemployed/collecting unemployment - those jobs will now become federal jobs (at 1.5x the cost) and kept the loans off the government balance sheet.

Since they took $20b of the government plan benefit to pay for healthcare, the other proposal actually would have put more money into Pell grants, preserved jobs, and reduced the risk that funding the loans would be a greater liability if rates increase, as they surely will.

The only reason it was enacted was because they needed the $20b to make sure the reconciliation bill was balanced.
                            I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Yes I have, you're wrong and when the hell has government ever *saved* us money by instituting a government program.

Please humor me by digging something up.

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                              If you read articles on both sides you'll see there was an alternative plan that saved approximately the same amount of money, saved thousands of jobs of people soon to be unemployed/collecting unemployment - those jobs will now become federal jobs (at 1.5x the cost) and kept the loans off the government balance sheet.

Since they took $20b of the government plan benefit to pay for healthcare, the other proposal actually would have put more money into Pell grants, preserved jobs, and reduced the risk that funding the loans would be a greater liability if rates increase, as they surely will.

The only reason it was enacted was because they needed the $20b to make sure the reconciliation bill was balanced.
                              Thank you....and that's just for starters.
                              "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                                Yep, you've caught me. I'm terribly prejudiced against people who are abysmal at their jobs.
                                You need to stop wasting your time on this thread and come over to the PC hockey thread...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                                -Blackadder
                                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                                -Casablanca
                                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X