Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010 Milwaukee Brewers - Pitching: Quantity, or Quality????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Milwaukee Brewers - Pitching: Quantity, or Quality????

22 days until the season kicks off.

It seems there are about 29347 pitchers in camp. Did they upgrade enough to get over the hump in the N.L. Central? We will start to find out in 22 days!!! HORRAYYYYYYYY!!!
    "Career highlights? I had two - I got an intentional walk from Sandy Koufax and I got out of a rundown against the Mets." - Bob Uecker

Read my blog! gbsportsguy.wordpress.com

Re: 2010 Milwaukee Brewers - Pitching: Quantity, or Quality????

I can't wait to head up to Miller Park for the Tigers exhibition games. Nine rows behind the Brewers dug-out for $10.

Hoping to make it up there for at least the Braves and maybe a Cubs game or two.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

2010 Milwaukee Brewers - Pitching: Quantity, or Quality
      Minus a little bit of quantity.

Halama released. Capuanol has "setback".

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/87811147.html
      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
      sigpic
      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by powerofyellowandblack View Post
        It seems there are about 29347 pitchers in camp. Did they upgrade enough to get over the hump in the N.L. Central? We will start to find out in 22 days!!! HORRAYYYYYYYY!!!
        still guardedly optimistic. I like the bullpen moves and the Hardy trade (just because it means Escobar has the ss job). I'm not that excited about the starting rotation though - but I can't imagine what they could've done better.

btw, poyb, I really liked the Braun/Fielder article you posted in the last thread. It is amazing to me that the Brewers have TWO young superstars of that caliber and we get to see them every day. It just wouldn't be the same to have one and not the other.

Comment

I like the move to keep Lofgren available, especially since you know you can't count on Capuano. Too bad for him, but they have to know anything they get from him is strictly a bonus. Has there been any more talk about Mulder? Speaking of oft-injured pitchers, Sheets didn't put up one of his better performances his last time out. 10 hitters faced, no outs recorded, 8 hits, 1 walk, 10 runs credited (9 earned).
          Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
          2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
          2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
          Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Just saw this on mlbtraderumors.com:
            Nominated for the worst moves: free agent deals for Jason Bay, Matt Holliday, Brandon Lyon, Jason Kendall, Aubrey Huff, Jason Marquis, Randy Wolf, and Garrett Atkins. All the execs polled mentioned Holliday's seven year, $120MM deal when choosing their worst deals of the winter. Said one: "The fear that he would sign a one-year deal elsewhere and take his chances a year from now — that just doesn't make sense to me."

Aside from Kendall and Huff, there was a vibe of "like the player, hate the contract" with the panned free agent signings. One exec felt the Royals downgraded behind the plate with Kendall. Huff was nominated as a small-scale misstep, in that the exec felt that "Hank Blalock is better and he couldn't get half that salary on a non-roster deal."
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I think there is little doubt they overpaid Wolf, but they needed the help. Their need/demand for help was far greater than the supply of what they sought. Economists would tell you this drives up the price. They had to do whatever it took at the 2nd tier of free agency to get a quality veteran.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                I think there is little doubt they overpaid Wolf, but they needed the help. Their need/demand for help was far greater than the supply of what they sought. Economists would tell you this drives up the price. They had to do whatever it took at the 2nd tier of free agency to get a quality veteran.
                Thankfully its a 3 year deal and less than the Suppan deal. I think Randy comes with a better track record...hopefully he doesn't fall off the map like Jeff.

Thoughts on the pitching situation? I had no idea that Narveson and Parra had no options left. Kind of hard to feel like Melvin was building depth when he has to shove these guys to the bullpen to keep from losing them? I wish someone could go down to AAA. I hope they trade Soup and some cash for something...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Tough call on Narveson and Parra. I'd have to think a LHP under 30 could command something. It seems apparent they'll need to move somebody with the option situations. Even though they could use some lefty help in the pen I'm not sure it's the ideal move to have either of these guys there. They are starters. Unfortunately at least one will have to go to the pen if they are out of options. I'm not even sure there is room for either in the starting rotation as things stand. It would be great at least clearing the roster spot and rotation spot for one of these guys by shedding what is already bad money with Suppan. Although I'm not sure they could give him away even if they are willing to pay 80% of his salary. I like the guy, but I could see Bush being dangled on the market. He's younger than Suppan and with a much more palatable salary. Too bad this isn't the NBA. Suppan would be a hot commodity with a huge expiring contract. Can they ask him to take minor league assignment if they try and get him thru waivers? I can't see anyone claiming Suppan. If he refused and they release him what are they really out. They are having to pay his salary either way. I'd almost rather pay him not to play than pay him to suck.

Comment

I was just looking at the roster. I don't know what they'll do. I don't see Estrada sticking and even if Riskie is likely on the DL to open, they still have 13 guys who are candidates to stick as it stands right now. Gallardo, Wolf, Davis as definite starters. Bush, Suppan, Parra and Narveson vying for the other two spots. Coffey, Hoffman, Hawkins, Stetter, Vargas, and Villanueva as guys who are sticking and will be in the pen. The two guys who don't win the starting battle would seem to be the most likely, but with Parra and Narveson out of options and Suppan being someone who nobody will touch, I have no idea what they'll do. With off days early in the season I doubt they'll keep 12 pitchers to start, so 2 guys other than Estrada and Riskie would have to be moved somehow to get down to 11.

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                      I was just looking at the roster. I don't know what they'll do. I don't see Estrada sticking and even if Riskie is likely on the DL to open, they still have 13 guys who are candidates to stick as it stands right now. Gallardo, Wolf, Davis as definite starters. Bush, Suppan, Parra and Narveson vying for the other two spots. Coffey, Hoffman, Hawkins, Stetter, Vargas, and Villanueva as guys who are sticking and will be in the pen. The two guys who don't win the starting battle would seem to be the most likely, but with Parra and Narveson out of options and Suppan being someone who nobody will touch, I have no idea what they'll do. With off days early in the season I doubt they'll keep 12 pitchers to start, so 2 guys other than Estrada and Riskie would have to be moved somehow to get down to 11.
                      Villy has an option yet...they can keep 13 pitchers and stash Villy in AAA if they have to...

Comment

They might have to stash Carlos waiting to see if anyone gets hurt, although they loved him as a workhorse in the bullpen.

Comment

non-pitching-related: the fourth outfielder is... Jim Edmonds. nice to have an outfield veteran with winning experience, I guess.

Comment

If any of you are hoping to go to a brewers game at target field, now is the time to call 800-338-9467 to get tickets. There are still some available through the twins...They aren't the cheapest seats in the building ($50 face value) but they might be as cheap as you can get.

Comment

one week!!!!

latest on the pitching staff - Villanueva tries not to worry about potential demotion

Comment

Working...
                              X