Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama 10: Rahm it through.....even in the shower.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama 10: Rahm it through.....even in the shower.

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    sorry. I meant to post this link earlier. It really is hilarious.
    Indeed, all the tea party ones are hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      If voting were public, they'd vote
      Listen to him, friends. The man is, after all, an expert on attention whores.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        So you support the "cut taxes" not the "zero taxes" position?
        Correct. We need to tax for national defense and other minor things intended by the founders and peeps who executed the constitution on their constituents behalf.
        "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dropthatpuck View Post
          Correct. We need to tax for national defense and other minor things intended by the founders and peeps who executed the constitution on their constituents behalf.
          I'm with you, but just try cutting Ag subsidies, social security, Medicare, VA benefits, etc. And both major parties are guilty of larding the trough.
          "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dropthatpuck View Post
            But do we really need to be spending close to $1 trillion to defend this country? I am no military expert but how vulnerable would we be if we only spent, oh I don't know, half of that?
            Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by SPIN CONTROL View Post
              But do we really need to be spending close to $1 trillion to defend this country? I am no military expert but how vulnerable would we be if we only spent, oh I don't know, half of that?
              Not very. However, you've neglected the most important role of the Defense Department which has nothing to do with defending the US (nor even with attacking others), and that is its utility as a foreign policy tool. We could easily defend the US with half the budget, but we'd have to close down essentially all our foreign bases, and that would have drastic diplomatic and economic consequences. I'm not saying that it would be the wrong thing to do, but the effects of a major scale-back like that would have to be very carefully considered.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                I'm with you, but just try cutting Ag subsidies, social security, Medicare, VA benefits, etc. And both major parties are guilty of larding the trough.
                Absolutely. Everyone straps on the feedbag when they hit the beltway. I figure people would learn from previous administrations and Congress' - a la the current flock of dems vis-a-vis the GOP in '06.....but that's asking too much.

I'm with Lynah. Not saying we can't cut something, but our primary expenditure should be defense and relative "foreign affairs".
                "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
                sigpic

Comment

As much as it is, the current percentage of spending on the military (20%) is historically low. Up until the late 70's nearly half of the federal budget was spent on the military. That not to say that there isn't room for cuts.

The thing that needs to change most is the 60% of the federal budget that is purely transfer payments. That is simply unsustainable.
                  "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

I always loved that we live in a country that has people starving on the streets and we subsidize farmers not to grow food so as not to screw with the market. Trust me I get it, I know why we do it but if you take a step back and look at it it is friggin absurd to think about.

As for defense I understand we need to have troops in foreign countries and that is fine, but it is the numbers that seem a bit out of whack ya know. I mean doesn't 20k troops in Germany seem a bit high? Can't we negotiate that down a little bit, won't 10k do the job? If we were able to cut down (not out but down) the amount of that type of troop that would make a nice dent.

This is where Obama can really make a statement, and who knows maybe get some conservatives to back him. I doubt he is going to do anything super liberal for a while to let the smoke clear on Health Care "Reform" so why not make another effort to unmuddy the waters. There has to be something they agree on once you get past the rhetoric so go after it. It won't appease them, but it might keep things on an even keel for a while we all need a break from the BS.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

250 million for abstinence programs? When they don't work? Nice pork Obama.
                      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                        Thank you social conservatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                          Thank you social conservatives.
                          Barely any social conservatives even voted yes on this! Why give them something they want for nothing!

Comment

I believe the biggest federal outlays are Medicare, Social Security, Defense and Debt payments.

#1) Obama just tried to address (lets put aside predictions for now and see how it goes).

#2) Has a dedicated funded stream which will keep it solvent until the 2040's, and can be easily adjusted by means testing the benefits.

#3) Despite being politically toxic, cutting waste in defense spending needs to be done. This whole (% of GDP) argument is nonsense. If we aren't fighting WWII or keeping up with the Soviets, defense ought to be a smaller % of the budget, especially considering the US defense budget dwarfs all other countries. Do we need troops in Germany? Can South Korea maybe defend itself now 60 after the war? Are there some weapons/planes, etc we don't need?

#4) Cannot be addressed until #1 and #3, and some tax increases are implemented.

Now there are other things to be done. Earmarks, Tort Reform, Farm subsidies, Oil company subsidies, etc. However, you can't address the deficit problem strictly on the spending side of things. Both Bush I and Clinton realized this, and its no coincidence that the budget was balanced by the 2nd Clinton term.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                              Well, glad to see someone got screwed.
                              "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                                Well, glad to see someone got screwed.
                                Hey yo! Have you told us to try the veal yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X