Annoying Commercials 2: Searching for the MUTE button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Annoying Commercials 2: Searching for the MUTE button

While they are not TV commercials, and it is not really "annoying" so much as it is bizarre:

In Grand Central Terminal, on the walls of the corridors, they have some really large frames for advertisers to put up posters (something like 5' x 10', say). Most of the time there is one advertiser using all of them; sometimes they have advertisers alternating between one and the other.

In the current ad campaign, they have two different advertisers sharing the same frame, half each. One side has various people extolling how NYC services helped them ("they help with my panic attacks," "they help me deal with my depression," etc.) and right next to them they have ads for Haagen-Dasz ice cream, with a big "aaah" on top.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      In the current ad campaign, they have two different advertisers sharing the same frame, half each. One side has various people extolling how NYC services helped them ("they help with my panic attacks," "they help me deal with my depression," etc.) and right next to them they have ads for Haagen-Dasz ice cream, with a big "aaah" on top.
      That reads like excellent ad placement by Haagen-Dasz.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

While they are not TV commercials, and it is not really "annoying" so much as it is bizarre:

In Grand Central Terminal, on the walls of the corridors, they have some really large frames for advertisers to put up posters (something like 5' x 10', say). Most of the time there is one advertiser using all of them; sometimes they have advertisers alternating between one and the other.

This reminds me of a really unfortunate juxtaposition in the DC Metro a few years ago, at Pentagon City, Crystal City, and other DOD-contractor-heavy stops. One half was Save the Children posters of little brown kids, amputee, blinded, living in squalor. The other half were slick, hyper-macho shots of gleaming Grumman or Boeing death machines, with slogans like "we get the job done!" or "all that's left is the invoice!"

There has never been a more true representation of American foreign policy.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

We call it the remainder that's the number that remains.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
            Anybody listening to I(Heart)Radio? The ZipRecruiter adds are so horrible that just listening once makes me cringe. But, no, IHR (or maybe just WIBA AM in Madison) runs this ad at least once during every commercial break. I sometimes turn the volume off and just forget to turn it back up again.
            Refuse to use that service. TSN Radio is an iHeart company and they refuse to let their internet stream cross the border.

Fortunately, there are other services that do.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Not a post about an annoying commercial today.

Instead, for some of us at least, a memory of the greatest candy commercial ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSlyoVTX3I
              "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

the greatest candy commercial ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExSlyoVTX3I
                Concur!!! That commercial brings back almost as many memories as a distinct perfume.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Concur!!! That commercial brings back almost as many memories as a distinct perfume.
                  And could sing along with the jingle word for word.

Face it - I am an Old Fart.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Face it - I am an Old Fart.
                    Not sure anybody's fightin ya on that, joe.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• My anti-depressant, Trintellix, has a commercial.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

During the Eagles/Falcons game they just had a car commercial where people were rushing to put all of their stuff in their car because a meteor was going to hit the earth. Or as Hawaiians call it, "earlier this morning".

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Never thought I'd say this:

Bring back Flo.
                          Jamie makes her seem acceptable.
                          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Never thought I'd say this:

Bring back Flo.
                            Jamie makes her seem acceptable.
                            Just think, with the corporate tax rate down, Geico and Progressive have so much more to spend on commercials!

KDR

Comment

Goldman Sachs pizza parlor commercial. Employee takes a bite of pizza as a "fee." Supposed to show the fees other places charge when getting a loan. Wouldn't the fee just increase the price of the pizza? It's not like you get less of a loan with a fee, you just pay more.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                Goldman Sachs pizza parlor commercial. Employee takes a bite of pizza as a "fee." Supposed to show the fees other places charge when getting a loan. Wouldn't the fee just increase the price of the pizza? It's not like you get less of a loan with a fee, you just pay more.
                                Joke's on you. No matter how big the bite is, they're still laughing on the entire limo ride to Peter Luger.

Comment

Working...
                                X