X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XII: South Africa Awaits

Originally posted by jmh View Post
    By "he" you mean Jonathan will never play for Mexico again?
    I hope he isn't waiting for Brazil to call

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
      Didn't see that either of these were mentioned back when they happened, but FIFA tossed Indonesia's bid for the 2022 World Cup because their government didn't support the bid. Not that Indonesia really had a snowball's chance in hell at actually being awarded World Cup, of course.

Also, Japan scaled back their bid to focus on 2022 only at the beginning of May amidst growing conventional wisdom that the 2018 bid is going to Europe. Which has been my operating assumption ever since Blatter basically said he was just kidding about the rotation system - the 2014 tournament in Brazil is already going to be the first time in history that it's been outside of Europe in consecutive tournaments. And then, since the World Cup hasn't been on the same continent twice in a row in 60 years, that makes the 2022 bid for "not Europe."

So, realistically, although there are six bids that are for both 2018 and 2022, the reality is that there are basically two different pools of bids.

Belgium/Netherlands
      England
      Russia
      Portugal/Spain

Australia
      Japan
      Qatar
      South Korea
      United States

Put that way, it looks like the biggest obstacle to a US World Cup in 2022 is Australia. Qatar's a longshot, and does anyone really think FIFA would go back to Japan or South Korea before they go back to the US, given how much of a cash cow the '94 Cup was for them?
      Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
      Sorry for going back here a ways, but just which stadiums are on the US list right now?? Kinda want to do a side by side, to see how the Aussies stack up to the US venues.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
        Sorry for going back here a ways, but just which stadiums are on the US list right now?? Kinda want to do a side by side, to see how the Aussies stack up to the US venues.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._World_Cup_bid
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I was looking at different stadium proposals for the bids and noticed the England one has Hillsborough. *shudders*

I'm sorry but I don't think I could ever set foot in that stadium and enjoy a match. But I guess that's just me.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/dos_sant...squad_1_381701

Now Giovanni is thinking about quitting too. This is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
              http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/dos_sant...squad_1_381701

Now Giovanni is thinking about quitting too. This is hilarious.
              Wow, I mean... I want to laugh at Mexico for potentially being deprived of two talented players, but on the other hand, I want to laugh at the Dos Santos family for being so unbelievably petty. I mean, come on, you're 20 years old, you've got three senior appearances for your club and five caps in friendlies. Do you really have any right to be this upset?
              Cornell University Men's Hockey
              NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
              Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                I was looking at different stadium proposals for the bids and noticed the England one has Hillsborough. *shudders*

I'm sorry but I don't think I could ever set foot in that stadium and enjoy a match. But I guess that's just me.
                May I ask why not? I am assuming you weren't there and that you don't have friends, relatives, or knew people who were, or the answer would be obvious.

But if my assumption is correct, I must admit I'm curious as to why would you personally not be able to attend a match at a stadium where something terrible happened 2 decades ago when you were like 5 years old?

Not looking for an argument, just curious, especially as someone who has attended several matches at Ibrox, a place where similar events have happened. However, they happened when I was very, very young (like you with Hillsborough), so I am wondering how come the tragedy has that much of an affect on you that you wouldn't be able to set foot inside the stadium, especially considering that Hillsborough (like Ibrox) is vastly improved and much safer than it was at the time of those terrible events.
                Last edited by ColbyWMHB; 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh View Post
                  Wow, I mean... I want to laugh at Mexico for potentially being deprived of two talented players, but on the other hand, I want to laugh at the Dos Santos family for being so unbelievably petty. I mean, come on, you're 20 years old, you've got three senior appearances for your club and five caps in friendlies. Do you really have any right to be this upset?
                  The only thing I can really think of, and I don't think it's very likely, is that Aguirre made some sort of promise to them that he would include both of them. That might justify some of this anger. But still, I think it's silly, and incredibly selfish.

Comment

Surprised Solider Field in Chicago isn't on the list, but then I saw the capacity is small (61k). Still it doesn't seem right to have a list of 10-12 stadiums and not include arguably one of the 3 or 4 most historically and architecturally significant.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Surprised Solider Field in Chicago isn't on the list, but then I saw the capacity is small (61k). Still it doesn't seem right to have a list of 10-12 stadiums and not include arguably one of the 3 or 4 most historically and architecturally significant.
                      Its not there because Chicago backed out of dealing with World Cup bidding after not getting the olympics dont you remember that? In the end, if the world cup returns, I would guess that Soldier Field will still make the cut.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

No Walcott? Come the F on.

This love affair with Darren Bent and SWP must end.
                        Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Working...
                        X