This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XII: South Africa Awaits

Congratulations, Blackpool! Hope you enjoy your year in the Premiership (and the 90million pounds that go with it!)

Comment

Inter 2-0. That should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
        Blame Thomas Rongen. He left Subotic off the team for some tournament, and Subotic said "welp, Serbia it is."

Rossi at least made up his mind at like age 12.

Anyways, we usually get the benefit of these decisions, although I can't think of many with dual nationality being good enough to play for their "other" country. Torres for Mexico? Holden for Scotland? Onyewu was technically eligible for Nigeria. Jozy was eligible for Haiti, but let's be serious.
        Can't forget Freddy Adu picking us over Ghana.

Comment

After looking like there would be some US team cuts today, apparently the coaching staff has decided against it. All 30 players going to Connecticut for the friendly on Tuesday.

Comment

Blame Thomas Rongen. He left Subotic off the team for some tournament, and Subotic said "welp, Serbia it is."

Rossi at least made up his mind at like age 12.
            That makes it even worse - he was born and raised in the US until he was 12 or so.

Anyways, we usually get the benefit of these decisions, although I can't think of many with dual nationality being good enough to play for their "other" country. Torres for Mexico? Holden for Scotland? Onyewu was technically eligible for Nigeria. Jozy was eligible for Haiti, but let's be serious.
            Big difference in those cases. Torres and Onyewu were born and raised in the US.

Joe Red's an American, born and raised. To go from a growing power side like the US to a traditional power side like Italy is nothing but treason. Enjoy sitting on the sidelines, weenie boy.
            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              That makes it even worse - he was born and raised in the US until he was 12 or so.
              Rossi treats playing for Italy like people treat the New York Yankees... its a job, but its one hell of a job... except the Yankees are just another ball team tied to a city in a world of professional sports. The United States is a lot more than just another nation.... he doesn't really understand, or care to understand, that he can't serve two masters just because he really, really, likes soccer. But that's his thing... the boy wants to be famous... and he thinks there's nothing wrong with that.

Too bad, boy. Your Jersey buddies, who will soon move on with their lives and forget you, will move on. To the rest of us you'll have turned your back on your own country.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Not exactly. He said "Germany it is", then "Wait, I'm not allowed to do that? ****, then Serbia it is."

It should also be noted that a) Subotic hadn't broken out at Mainz at the point when he didn't make the cut for the U20s (and there are reports that Mainz were making noise about him being hurt), and b) there's no indication that the snub played a major role in Subotic feeling more Serbian than American.

There's one person to blame for Subotic playing for Serbia, and that's Neven Subotic.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Do the Limeys use bulletin boards?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Whlie Lalas is pretty much right (at least about us being underrated, and England being overrated), to say it wouldn't shock him if we beat them is still a stretch.

While we did beat Spain last year... this isn't the Confederations Cup. It's the World Effin' Cup. No one is going to go into the match thinking its no big deal if they lose, it's as big a deal as it gets in this sport.

If I were to claim that I wouldn't be shocked at us beating England, my only justification would be England's history of failure in the World Cup and their tradition of taking the tournament for granted. Nothing more.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Maybe it's semantics, but my take would be: Massive upset? Yes. Shock? Eh, not really.

Although I have to ask, why does anyone still care what Alexi Lalas thinks?

Comment

If they ever legalize gay marriage, Alexi Lalas and Eric Wynalda should be the first to get hitched, because they're two of the biggest blowhards in the world and they deserve each other.
                        Cornell University Men's Hockey
                        NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                        Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

England and Mexico live now on FSC. As much as I hate Mexico, kind of rooting for them.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                            England and Mexico live now on FSC. As much as I hate Mexico, kind of rooting for them.
                            Muck Fexico.
                            Last edited by Red Cloud; 05-24-2010, 08:55 PM.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              Muck Fexico.
                              ... with a sideways churro.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

So I guess Mourinho is going to Real Madrid, huh?
                                Cornell University Men's Hockey
                                NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                                Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Working...
                                X