Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Thread of Championship Week 2010

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
    I think having the top four seeds play on the opening day of the tournament against the bottom four seeds would make more sense.

and then the winners of those games get a bye to the quarterfinals while the 5-12 playoff.

Just my thought so that the top seeds can get playing again early and then get a day off while everyone else has to play four days straight.
    Though this sounds really weird, it's similar to how the WHL used to run its playoff. 6 teams, 3 first round series, then the top survivor gets a bye to the final. It worked pretty well -- maximize revenue and maximizing the top team's chance to advance to the Memorial Cup, both things good for the league.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

There's one team regarded as being "in" at the moment that I don't quite understand. That would be Georgia Tech. I just don't think any team with a below .500 conference record has done enough to be a tournament team. They beat a terrible UNC team to improve to 8-9 in ACC games. Unless they beat Maryland today, I don't see it.

Comment

Duke is struggling with Virginia.

Comment

Ohio State winning easily. Come UVA. You think if Duke loses that Cuse will get that #1 seed?
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
            Ohio State winning easily. Come UVA. You think if Duke loses that Cuse will get that #1 seed?
            Ohio State not winning easily anymore!!!

What a comeback by Michigan! The Maize and Blue held a brief two point lead with 30 seconds left before Ohio State's Lighty came down the floor and answered with a runner in the lane.

Tied at 66...9.7 seconds left.

Michigan ball.

Comment

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a freaking game!!!

Best game I've seen so far from championship week. Sans maybe the Cincy/Wva game last night.

Michigan's Harris just nailed a jumper with a hand in his face the whole way.

2 seconds left.

Michigan leads by two! Ohio State has to go the whole length of the floor to tie.

Comment

Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Evan Turner just launched a shot from 6 feet inside of half court and nailed it!

Ohio State just won by one point.

Instant Classic. Best college basketball game I've seen since the Syracuse/UConn game last year.

Comment

f ohio state

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    It shows something, anyway, like double byes are stupid or the NC$$ has rendered major conference tourneys pointless.
                    The NCAA did not mandate the Big East have double byes - that was a conference decision.

As fro major conference tournaments - it's not often that they are not won by teams that were already going to the tournament. They are huge for bubble teams, but more to play their way out of the bracket (i.e. Arizona State).
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      There's one team regarded as being "in" at the moment that I don't quite understand. That would be Georgia Tech. I just don't think any team with a below .500 conference record has done enough to be a tournament team. They beat a terrible UNC team to improve to 8-9 in ACC games. Unless they beat Maryland today, I don't see it.
                      It's a very soft bubble. Tech has some quality wins - like Duke. The real question is who do you put in that is not? Memphis? Arizona St? UAB? UNLV?
                      2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                      2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                      2010 Frozen Four participant
                      2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Though this sounds really weird, it's similar to how the WHL used to run its playoff. 6 teams, 3 first round series, then the top survivor gets a bye to the final. It worked pretty well -- maximize revenue and maximizing the top team's chance to advance to the Memorial Cup, both things good for the league.
                        1-12, 2-11, etc.; reseed; 3-6, 4-5; reseed; 1-4, 2-3; winners for the championship

This sounds like a pretty decent idea. 12 teams make it (meaning that four teams are left out in the cold... something that this tournament needs), no team gets stuck with a "double bye", but there's still a reward for doing well during the regular season and winning the first game.

The only issue I have with the proposal that it would be very, very difficult to play 6 games in one day at the MSG, and putting the first round on campuses takes away some of the allure of the tourney. I suppose that the first six games could be split over two days...
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I cant bare to watch MN/MSU OT. So I am watching score updates on ESPN during the WVU/ND game.

Edit: Oh and New Mexico lost in Mtn West so an extra team might take a spot?
                          Last edited by JF_Gophers; 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM.
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Minnesota pulls out a big win (finally). 72-67 over MSU in OT. Placing themselves back in the bubble conversation.

Next up Purdue.
                            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Working...
                            X