Socialized medicine a failure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socialized medicine a failure.

France to increase costs for overnight stays in the hospital by 25%. 25%!!!! That's outrageous. How can we have health care reform, when even socialized medicine can't keep a lid on increasing costs?

Oh, BTW, that means the cost of an overnight stay in the hospital is gonna go from $23.51 to $29.39. :blush2:
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Re: Socialized medicine a failure.

but what about all those horror stories i hear about socialized medicine from Americans who have never been overseas?
    "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

This certainly wouldn't have fit in perfectly with the thread already devoted to the topic. I can see why you felt the need to create yet another thread on it.

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
        but what about all those horror stories i hear about socialized medicine from Americans who have never been overseas?
        I've been living in the UK for 2.5 years and I'm about to move to Switzerland. I don't have any horror stories about either the US system nor the UK system, but I still prefer to keep the government less involved with health care. Let the government set the rules and then get off the field - don't take part in the action itself.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

*****http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8468/tumblrkq4nrftwux1qzq52e.jpg******

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            France to increase costs for overnight stays in the hospital by 25%. 25%!!!! That's outrageous. How can we have health care reform, when even socialized medicine can't keep a lid on increasing costs?

Oh, BTW, that means the cost of an overnight stay in the hospital is gonna go from $23.51 to $29.39. :blush2:
            There's a flip side to that. In fact, I would argue that the cost of the stay isn't what changed. The patient's share of the cost changed. The question is, how much of his care is being paid for by whom? Obviously 25 bucks is a pretty small portion of the real cost of a night of care in a hospital (assuming with real doctors etc.)... thanks taxpayers! It was comfy!
            but that $6 represents some progress in the direction of accountability.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

....roofy's point is way more simple than even he thought.

You get what you pay for.
              "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                The question is, how much of his care is being paid for by whom? Obviously 25 bucks is a pretty small portion of the real cost of a night of care in a hospital (assuming with real doctors etc.)... thanks taxpayers! It was comfy!
                but that $6 represents some progress in the direction of accountability.
                And what the hell do you think any other type of insurance is but a grouping of people's fees in order to pay for those unlucky few (hopefully few, anyway) who need its use? Or do you honestly believe that those who get their money back (and then some) from insurance are the lucky ones? Do you not realize that means they suffered an unfortunate event requiring them to make an insurance claim?

Frankly, if I never receive a cent from my auto insurance in my life, I'd be thrilled. It should be the same way with medical insurance too - you should be happy if you don't get as much as you pay in, because that means you've stayed healthy.

If you want the lowest premiums as an individual, you need the biggest and broadest base to spread the risk as much as possible. Guess what, a mandatory nationwide plan accomplishes that, and the only way that happens is if it's government sponsered/run.
                Last edited by unofan; 09-18-2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Who pays the bill for socialized health care exactly?

Someone has to I assume.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

If you want the lowest premiums as an individual, you need the biggest and broadest base to spread the risk as much as possible. Guess what, a mandatory nationwide plan accomplishes that, and the only way that happens is if it's government sponsered/run.
                    No it doesn't. If it did, then Social Security and Medicare wouldn't be broke. The problem isn't that it won't be affordable, or funded well, it is that the politicians can't keep from taking from it to prop up some other program elsewhere. Leave the gov't out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                      Who pays the bill for socialized health care exactly?

Someone has to I assume.
                      Its all free, just ask Obama
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by dropthatpuck View Post
                        ....roofy's point is way more simple than even he thought.

You get what you pay for.
                        Oh yeah, and France's healthcare system is considered one of, if not the best, in the world.

But keep making snarky comments about them. Freedom fries!!!!!!!
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                          As opposed to the stories extolling the excellence of a system done by a nation that has about 1/5 of the US population that they likewise have never been?

I think the two cancel out each other.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            No it doesn't. If it did, then Social Security and Medicare wouldn't be broke. The problem isn't that it won't be affordable, or funded well, it is that the politicians can't keep from taking from it to prop up some other program elsewhere. Leave the gov't out of it.
                            social security isn't broke. There never was a trust fund, despite the common misconception - the social security deduction from your paycheck was never meant to be saved for your use down the road. Since its inception, it's always been a wealth transfer mechanism from today's workers to today's retirees, one that is surprisingly efficient (overhead is minimal). The problem is that the ratio of workers per retiree is shrinking due to a combination of fewer babies being born, people living longer, and the demographic bubble that is the baby boomers hitting retirement age. The easy fix is to raise the retirement age, but good luck getting the baby boomers, one of the most selfish generations ever, to agree to that.

medicare suffers from the same problems for the same reasons.

A national insurance plan differs because the people being covered (people under 65) are also those paying in (through their income taxes/payroll deductions).
                            Last edited by unofan; 09-19-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              Oh yeah, and France's healthcare system is considered one of, if not the best, in the world.

But keep making snarky comments about them. Freedom fries!!!!!!!
                              Yeah
                              Didn't their presidient come here for some medical issue?
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                              X