Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myles Brand passes away

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/NCAAN...mainstory.html

NCAA President Myles Brand, the first university president to serve as the Association's chief executive, died Wednesday from pancreatic cancer. He was 67.

"Myles Brand was a dear friend and a great academic leader. He was a tireless advocate for the student-athlete," said Michael Adams, president of the University of Georgia and chair of the NCAA Executive Committee. "Indeed, he worked to ensure that the student was first in the student-athlete model. He will be greatly missed."

Brand, who began his tenure in January 2003 after having served as president at Indiana and Oregon, died at his Indianapolis home. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December 2008 and announced his condition to the NCAA Executive Committee, the national office staff and the leadership at NCAA member schools in January, saying the long-term prognosis for his condition was "not good."

Brand remained committed to leading the Association even through his illness, guiding the national office staff and communicating with presidential leadership up until the final days. He attended the Men's Final Four in Detroit, was at the table for the Association's spring governance meetings and worked at his office into September.

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.
    UAH - The Cleveland Browns of COLLEGE HOCKEY

Mike Anderson
    2006 Time Person of the Year
    Finger far off the pulse of college hockey, thanks to Mack Portera.
    It was fun for a whole lot of seasons.

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish; let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more." Proverbs 31:6-7 (NIV)

Re: Myles Brand passes away

Originally posted by MikeAnderson View Post
    http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/NCAAN...mainstory.html

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.
    Yup, the "bring out your dead" thread - started s there wouldn't be a thread for every known person passing.

Comment

At first I thought this was a thread for Russell Brand dying, and I was happy because he is incredibly annoying and not funny, and then I realized it was a person who actually made a contribution to society
      @#$% Calgary, Go Oilers Go

Your mom is so fat that the escape velocity at her surface exceeds 3*10^8 m/s

Originally posted by Jon
      I'd much rather be in WI.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
        Yup, the "bring out your dead" thread - started s there wouldn't be a thread for every known person passing.
        Also on the D-I forum http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=85311.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
        X