Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's the Economy, Stupid!

{surprised Todd hasn't made an appearance}
    "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      He also has some whacked-out crazy ones, too. Like going back to a gold-standard for the dollar.
      And having nothing to back up the dollar is a good thing? At one time, "the full faith and credit of the US Gov't" meant something, but with the US being in the hole for 60-70 trillion dollars (counting unfunded Social Security and Medicare liabilities) or more, I'm not sure how much longer that faith will last.

Comment

He also has some whacked-out crazy ones, too. Like going back to a gold-standard for the dollar.

What the GOP needs is someone who is neither beholden to the religious right nor someone who takes fiscal conservatism to the extreme like Paul. I don't know if that candidate exists in this day and age, but there's got to be some moderate conservatives somewhere.
        There may be such a candidate but they would never get the financial backing to get elected. The money backs the candidates that they can control.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          And having nothing to back up the dollar is a good thing? At one time, "the full faith and credit of the US Gov't" meant something, but with the US being in the hole for 60-70 trillion dollars (counting unfunded Social Security and Medicare liabilities) or more, I'm not sure how much longer that faith will last.
          Such liabilities are on paper only...the gov't could end SS and medicare tomorrow if they wanted/needed to. They aren't contractually bound by anything to keep those entitlements running.

Allowing the dollar to float is not the issue. Self-control is the issue. If Americans stopped buying everything and anything on credit, the dollar would regain its strength quicker than you could imagine.
          Last edited by unofan; 09-19-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Allowing the dollar to float is not the issue. Self-control is the issue. If Americans stopped buying everything and anything on credit, the dollar would regain its strength quicker than you could imagine.
            That's why the credit crisis wasn't a crisis. It was the crows coming home to roost on people who extended credit irresponsibly.

Everybody on the board of Lehman should be homeless.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              That's why the credit crisis wasn't a crisis. It was the crows coming home to roost on people who extended credit irresponsibly.

Man I wish I could rep you.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Such liabilities are on paper only...the gov't could end SS and medicare tomorrow if they wanted/needed to. They aren't contractually bound by anything to keep those entitlements running.

True, but if they want to live for the next vote, they'll never kill those 2 programs.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

How long before the government starts cranking up the printing presses even more to pay down our debt with cheaper dollars and big time inflation ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    How long before the government starts cranking up the printing presses even more to pay down our debt with cheaper dollars and big time inflation ?
                    After 2012.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Ditto for everyone involved with Fannie and Freddie, along with everyone that deterred the revamping of their credit policies.
                      Bruce Ciskie > PA

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Blizzard Drinking: Duluth's Answer to Gulf Coast Hurricane Parties

Comment

Working...
                      X