X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    And I thought I heard somewhere that if you are a non-Canadian citizen, and have a DWI, you have a 10-year "ban" from Canada. But molesters, murderers, etc, they're ok. They can visit anytime.

I'll see if I can find the law.

Edit: http://www.1800duilaws.com/article/travel_to_canada.asp

To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term.¹

So I guess it's any conviction. Thought they were especially harsh on DWI's.
    I hope people pay attention to the caveat posted at the bottom of that page:

The author is not licensed to practice law in Canada, but has helped a few clients get there. You are urged to undertake your own investigation, and in appropriate cases, engage Canadian counsel.
    That's sage advice, because the person who put that website together has no clue about what he's talking about.

First of all - there is no DUI or DWI on Canada. The offenses in the Criminal Code of Canada are Impaired Driving.

Sec. 253. Every one commits an offence who operates a motor vehicle or vessel or operates or assists in the operation of an aircraft or of railway equipment or has the care or control of a motor vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment, whether it is in motion or not,

(a) while the person's ability to operate the vehicle, vessel, aircraft or railway equipment is impaired by alcohol or a drug; or

(b) having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that the concentration in the person's blood exceeds eighty milligrams of alcohol in one hundred millilitres of blood.
    Impaired drivers can also be charged with Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm or Death, as well as Failure to Provide a Breath Sample.

There are no felonies under Canadian criminal law. Offenses are either summary conviction or indictable offenses.

Impaired driving penalties can range from a fine and license suspension for a first offense prosecuted by summary conviction to a prison term not exceeding 5 years for a case prosecuted by indictment.

Punishment for Impaired causing bodily harm or death is imprisonment for not more than 10 or 14 years respectively.

Unfortunately, having personally arrested and prosecuted hundreds of impaired drivers, including too many that caused bodily harm and/or death, I attest that those maximum penalties are rarely - if ever - given to even repeat offenders.
    Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
      (stuff)

Unfortunately, having personally arrested and prosecuted hundreds of impaired drivers, including too many that caused bodily harm and/or death, I attest that those maximum penalties are rarely - if ever - given to even repeat offenders.
      1. Thanks for the added info, although I think one has to cover their butt as to legal advice, hence the note at the bottom. I agree, that's smart, though. Don't wanna be added to a lawsuit.

2. And that's horrible. One time? Ok, everyone makes a mistake, punish them accordingly to the results of the offense. Repeat? Dunzo. Make that punishment hurt.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Shocking story about hockey predator Graham James.
        Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little. These type of people make me nervous to enroll my 5 year old girl in hockey. She wants to do it, but a-holes like him scare me.
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          2. And that's horrible. One time? Ok, everyone makes a mistake, punish them accordingly to the results of the offense. Repeat? Dunzo. Make that punishment hurt.
          Yep -- one of the reasons I left law enforcement after 21 years.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, so back to hockey. Rob Blake just smoked Peter Mueller with a hit from behind and no call from the refs.

Not what you expect to see from Blake.

Comment

Rob Blake just smoked Peter Mueller with a hit from behind and no call from the refs.

Not what you expect to see from Blake.
            Well he did stab Los Angeles in the back.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
              Well he did stab Los Angeles in the back.
              Try the veal!
              Old Monster Records

Comment

Originally posted by Rimbaud View Post
                Try the veal!
                And tip your waiter!

Comment

**** Vancouver. I hate the god**** Canucks.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Rob3rto's sucking again.

Comment

Wild were just down 2-1 with the goalie pulled, Vancouver got an empty netter to make it 3-1. MN put Backstrom back in and then scored about 10 seconds later. Pulled Backstrom again and scored again about 20 seconds after that to tie it at 3. 2 goals in 30 seconds to take the evil Canucks to OT.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Wild were just down 2-1 with the goalie pulled, Vancouver got an empty netter to make it 3-1. MN put Backstrom back in and then scored about 10 seconds later. Pulled Backstrom again and scored again about 20 seconds after that to tie it at 3. 2 goals in 30 seconds to take the evil Canucks to OT.
                        Is this still on?
                        St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Was also Cody Almond's first career goal. Good for him.

And it didn't matter in the end, Canucks win it on an OT PP goal.
                          04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
                          USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
                          I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
                          Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
                          I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                            Is this still on?
                            Yes, the Wild got screwed in OT when the Canuck player lifted Zanons stick into his own face giving the Canucks a PP in OT which lead to a goal. Sucks but oh well.

The refs ran away from Richards who was waiting for them after the game on the bench...he was not using work safe language
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Wild should've seized the momentum, but took an unfortunate penalty and did not.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
                                Was also Cody Almond's first career goal. Good for him.

And it didn't matter in the end, Canucks win it on an OT PP goal.
                                Oh well, it was fun to see the young guys spark the late come back like that. I think Wellman is going to be a good player for the Wild.
                                Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Yes, the Wild got screwed in OT when the Canuck player lifted Zanons stick into his own face giving the Canucks a PP in OT which lead to a goal. Sucks but oh well.

The refs ran away from Richards who was waiting for them after the game on the bench...he was not using work safe language
                                Yeah, that call was BS, at least it didn't cost the Wild in a playoff race.

Overall, I think this was a successful season for the Wild. It was always meant to be a rebuilding year and they competed well and showed some promise for future years. I have infinitely more confidence in Fletcher as a GM, to make the right moves, than I did Risebrough.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X