This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

How dare they try and popularize the sport!

What asteriskbags.
    Old Monster Records

Comment

As I said elsewhere, due to NBC Sports losing so much money, I can only assume that they're using a 1783 map of the United States when it comes to making decisions. Teams outside of the northeast don't exist, except for those strange yokels in Chicago and Detroit. No need to show games later than 12:30 either, since no one in the US is more than an hour behind.

That's probably why they decided to do tape delayed live Olympic events to those weird French and Spanish foreigners on the other side of the Mississippi.
      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
        Fire up the whine line.

The rumored Winter Classic for next season:

Penguins-Capitals at Heinz Field
        Joe, what happened to the rumor of the Rangers playing at Yankee Stadium?
        Twitter: DanMountSports
        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
          Joe, what happened to the rumor of the Rangers playing at Yankee Stadium?
          Yankee stadium is going to have a college football bowl game around the 1st for the next 5 years, minimum.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
            Yankee stadium is going to have a college football bowl game around the 1st for the next 5 years, minimum.
            Yup, the Pinstripe Bowl will be taking up all the prep time they'd need to put a rink in down there as the game is either just before or just after Christmas (I forget which).
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

There is another baseball stadium in the metro NY area.....
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                There.... is?
                R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  The NHL is trying desperately to get over the "B" league taint... why would they want to play at the home of the Mets?
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

There.... is?
                    Yep, I googled it. Turns out he's right.

I don't know if it has the capacity that the NHL is looking for though.
                    "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Yup, the Pinstripe Bowl will be taking up all the prep time they'd need to put a rink in down there as the game is either just before or just after Christmas (I forget which).
                      Thanks for the info. It totally slipped my mind. I am surprised the Rangers haven't been involved in an outdoor game. The New Giants Stadium would be a good venue. I'm also surprised that the Maple Leafs haven't gotten any consideration for an outdoor game. I think they are the only two Original Six teams to not play in the elements and I am sure they could get enough fan support to justify it.

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I'm also surprised that the Maple Leafs haven't gotten any consideration for an outdoor game.
                        I'm not.

Of course the NHL wants the Pens in on this gimmick every 3-4 years. More time for the Nothing But Crosby network to get his mug out there.

Also, people need to accept that the WC is pretty much always going to involve northern/eastern teams. That's where hockey has the biggest following and, most importantly, where it's feasible to have outdoor games. What matchups do those fans care about most? Oh yeah - other northern/eastern rivals.
                        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 03-28-2010, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I'm not.

Of course the NHL wants the Pens in on this gimmick every 3-4 years. More time for the Nothing But Crosby network to get his mug out there.

Also, people need to accept that the WC is pretty much always going to involve northern/eastern teams. That's where hockey has the biggest following and, most importantly, where it's feasible to have outdoor games. What matchups do those fans care about most? Oh yeah - other northern/eastern rivals.
                          There are a ton of Maple Leaf fans and I'm sure they would tune into the WC for that reason. I know they are rebuilding, but once they are back in contention, they should be considered.

Comment

There are a ton of Maple Leaf fans and I'm sure they would tune into the WC for that reason. I know they are rebuilding, but once they are back in contention, they should be considered.
                            I know they have good fan support, I was just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I'm not.

The two things I wonder about is how the ticket money ends up getting divided. I imagine the 23 teams that don't exist to NBC are going to be annoyed if this $3-4 million game gets passed back and forth between Detroit and Pittsburgh if they don't get to grab a cut.

The ratings are obviously better on average on New Year's, but New Year's is one of those days where sporting events are expected, and to me, outdoor hockey is jumping the shark. There have been what, 5 games in the last three years, to be 7 by January 2 2011 in 4 years?

Of the 3 NHL games so far (not counting the Edmonton exhibition), only one has been actual watchable hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Doesn't quite beat the Gwozdecky Shuffle, and I'd like to see video of the Shyiak Watter Bottle Toss, but this is certainly one of the better tirades.

Oh, forgot about the Louisiana Ice Gator coach who emptied his team's stick rack on the ice.

And people wonder why I'm a fan of college and minor league hockey... all the good sh** happens here.
                                Not quite Pat Burns trying to go bench to bench at Maple Leaf Gardens in '93.

The best part was the two players to Playfair's left covering their mouths with their gloves - obviously getting a good chuckle out of his tirade.
                                Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Working...
                                X