X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    AHL Team shuffle continues:

Syracuse Crunch reach an agreement to be the Anaheim Ducks affiliate next year while the Springfield Falcons will now be the Columbus Blue Jackets affiliate.
    Sweet, so you're saying that one of the highest penalized teams in the AHL with Columbus farm animals will only go higher?

Comment

I think the writing is on the wall as far as the western expansion of the AHL goes. Abbotsford is in trouble as it is, and the Oilers moving their team to Oklahoma City might be as far west as it really gets.

A future move that would be interesting to see would be, the Thrashers make an agreement with Worcester while the Sharks move to Chicago and cut the air travel in half. I've got no reason to think that would ever actually happen, but it would make a wee bit more sense. I'm sure you'll disagree wildly with that though aparch.
      The thought of having a different affiliate did cross my mind with all the changes rumored out east.

I'm really shocked that more teams don't want to affiliate with the Wolves. They're in the backyard of O'Hare, home of every flight out imaginable. I think the working agreement the Wolves have shy away most of the controlling teams. The Wolves are very active in player selection and scouting, there is a reason they're called the 31st NHL team. The freedom that ATL gives the Wolves is hard to find from most other NHL clubs. I think the Capitals and Hershey are the only other agreement with such loose reigns.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

So Anaheim goes for a multi-year deal with Syracuse (which I'm hoping Oystrick makes Anaheim, I'd hate to root for a Crunch player)... and Springfield is only making a one year commitment with Columbus.

Is Columbus setting up for the Lake Erie Monsters next year? Isn't next season the final year of Springfield's lease commitment?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The "head shots" rule has been approved by the NHLPA and goes into effect starting tonight.

So let's start a pool right now to see who will be the first clown to be made an example out of. Who ya got, kids?

I'm going with the chalk and saying Chris Pronger.
          R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

The "head shots" rule has been approved by the NHLPA and goes into effect starting tonight.

So let's start a pool right now to see who will be the first clown to be made an example out of. Who ya got, kids?

Talk about going out on a limb...

Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Crosby
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Had it been the other night Crysob would have lobbied for Jimmy Howard.
                FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Some fourth liner no one knows, and upon review he'll get 10 games. Meanwhile, Pronger will get away with a textbook example.

"WHEEL...OF...JUSTICE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                    Had it been the other night Crysob would have lobbied for Jimmy Howard.
                    Why? It was just a scrum. Besides Cindy had already gotten away with about a dozen crosschecks leading up to it.
                    Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Question for you guys that know more about this than I do.

Regarding the AHL and NHL and their arrangements/contracts etc. I'm assuming that NHL teams that own AHL franchises, which I think there are some, not sure how many, don't have this problem of contracts with AHL teams. For the AHL teams that have an agreement with an NHL team, then NHL team's players under contract, but playing in the AHL are on that team, and then the AHL team also has their own players under contracts? So when the NHL and AHL teams cut ties, the NHL team takes their players under contract and puts them on the AHL team that they have a new contract with? So when an AHL franchise changes NHL affiliates, it is possible for half of their team to be different from year to year? I didn't think all NHL teams had AHL affiliates, am I correct in this? What do they do if they don't have AHL affiliates?

Thanks for the knowledge guys, I've been wondering this for a while.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think Campbell has a hard on for Cooke and will be watching him closely. One can only hope.
                        Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                        I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          Wasn't it somebody in the Caps PR office that was asked to dress for a game? Weird that it still happens but it does.
                          Good memory. It was the web site producer who played DIII hockey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Leonhardt
                          Cornell '92, Michigan '97 - Go Red! Go Blue!
                          I flex a real hard juice card.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Question for you guys that know more about this than I do.

Regarding the AHL and NHL and their arrangements/contracts etc. I'm assuming that NHL teams that own AHL franchises, which I think there are some, not sure how many, don't have this problem of contracts with AHL teams. For the AHL teams that have an agreement with an NHL team, then NHL team's players under contract, but playing in the AHL are on that team, and then the AHL team also has their own players under contracts? So when the NHL and AHL teams cut ties, the NHL team takes their players under contract and puts them on the AHL team that they have a new contract with? So when an AHL franchise changes NHL affiliates, it is possible for half of their team to be different from year to year? I didn't think all NHL teams had AHL affiliates, am I correct in this? What do they do if they don't have AHL affiliates?

Thanks for the knowledge guys, I've been wondering this for a while.
                            Exactly!

Longer more drawn out way of saying "Yes:"
                            You're right in how you understand it. The most confusing part is that up until next year, the AHL had less teams than the NHL which lead to some teams doubling up their affiliations, or NHL teams spreading their prospects among teams without affiliating.

If the, for example, Wild wanted to end their affiliation with Houston, they could take Robbie Earl and whoever else was under Minnesota Contract and place them wherever they affiliated next.

Houston only players (ie: Tony Hrkac) are still under contract with that club and could only be moved by Houston. Minnesota doesn't control those players.

There is ALOT of turnover at the AHL level, much moreso than at the collegiate level (well, most college teams don't see this much turnover).

Springfield, will be on their third NHL affiliate since 2004-05.
                            2004-2007 Tampa Bay Lightning
                            2007-2010 Edmonton Oilers
                            2010-2011? Columbus Blue Jackets

As for the affiliations, some AHL clubs are owned by the NHL team and place themselves wherever they da** well please. (Read: NJ Devils own the Lowell Devils, Minn. Wild own the Houston Aeros, Dallas Stars own the Texas (Austin) Stars). Other AHL clubs have affiliations with a local ownership group (Chicago Wolves own their club, affiliate with ATL; Grand Rapids owns their own club, affiliate with the Wings; Syracuse owns their own, affiliates with Anaheim/Columbus/whoever).

For teams that (up till this year) didn't have any affiliates, they would place their players around the league. For quite a few years, the Florida Panthers and Buffalo Sabres shared the Rochester Americans. Both teams would supply prospects with Rochester signing only a few extras needed to fill out the roster. Last season, while the Austin Stars team was nearing completion, Dallas placed their players with the Chicago Wolves, Manitoba Moose, Grand Rapids Griffins, Rochester Americans, and one or two other teams.
                            This season, Anaheim (after their affiliate was forced to quit due to breaking league rules) placed their players with the Manitoba Moose, Abbotsford Heat, Toronto Marlies, San Antonio Rampage, and the Chicago Wolves.

Next season, all 30 NHL clubs will have their own AHL affiliate with no sharing, or doubling up. First time that has ever happened in the AHL.

I won't get into the ECHL affiliations with NHL clubs, because that's even more confusing with how they share many NHL and AHL clubs.
                            Last edited by aparch; 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Exactly!

Longer more drawn out way of saying "Yes:"
                              You're right in how you understand it. The most confusing part is that up until next year, the AHL had less teams than the NHL which lead to some teams doubling up their affiliations, or NHL teams spreading their prospects among teams without affiliating.

If the, for example, Wild wanted to end their affiliation with Houston, they could take Robbie Earl and whoever else was under Minnesota Contract and place them wherever they affiliated next.

Houston only players (ie: Tony Hrkac) are still under contract with that club and could only be moved by Houston. Minnesota doesn't control those players.

There is ALOT of turnover at the AHL level, much moreso than at the collegiate level (well, most college teams don't see this much turnover).

Springfield, will be on their third NHL affiliate since 2004-05.
                              2004-2007 Tampa Bay Lightning
                              2007-2010 Edmonton Oilers
                              2010-2011? Columbus Blue Jackets

As for the affiliations, some AHL clubs are owned by the NHL team and place themselves wherever they da** well please. (Read: NJ Devils own the Lowell Devils, Minn. Wild own the Houston Aeros, Dallas Stars own the Texas (Austin) Stars). Other AHL clubs have affiliations with a local ownership group (Chicago Wolves own their club, affiliate with ATL; Grand Rapids owns their own club, affiliate with the Wings; Syracuse owns their own, affiliates with Anaheim/Columbus/whoever).

For teams that (up till this year) didn't have any affiliates, they would place their players around the league. For quite a few years, the Florida Panthers and Buffalo Sabres shared the Rochester Americans. Both teams would supply prospects with Rochester signing only a few extras needed to fill out the roster. Last season, while the Austin Stars team was nearing completion, Dallas placed their players with the Chicago Wolves, Manitoba Moose, Grand Rapids Griffins, Rochester Americans, and one or two other teams.
                              This season, Anaheim (after their affiliate was forced to quit due to breaking league rules) placed their players with the Manitoba Moose, Abbotsford Heat, Toronto Marlies, San Antonio Rampage, and the Chicago Wolves.

Next season, all 30 NHL clubs will have their own AHL affiliate with no sharing, or doubling up. First time that has ever happened in the AHL.

I won't get into the ECHL affiliations with NHL clubs, because that's even more confusing with how they share many NHL and AHL clubs.
                              Wow, thanks for the explanation. You'd think they'd be able to do it a little better, without the mass confusion, but then again, it is the NHL.

So, if an NHL team doesn't have an affiliate, they can just put a player on any other AHL team, and the AHL team just has to go along with it? Or is this a case where the AHL teams have to agree to take these players?
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Zd5jTtzWx8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Zd5jTtzWx8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385">

From Down goes Brown. Classic.
                                Merrimack College Warriors
                                Boston Bruins Hockey
                                Stanley Cup Champions: 1929, 1939, 1941, 1970, 1972

"Go! Go! Black and gold!
                                Old-time hockey, bar the door
                                Clear the track it's all-out war
                                Light the lamp, throw a hit
                                Black and gold never quit
                                The barn is full, our team's in town
                                So put 'em up boys, knock 'em down
                                Drop the puck, it's time to go"
                                -Dropkick Murphys

Sports Juke - a mediocre blog - updated several time daily
                                Friend us on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X