• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    I don't know if this belongs here or in the Olympic thread

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com...edal-game.html
    In what should be no shock at all... check out the Canadian numbers:

Sunday's gold medal Men's Hockey game has become the most-watched television broadcast ever in Canadian history, with an average audience of 16.6 million viewers.

Nearly half of the Canadian population watched the entire game on average, while 80 percent of Canadians watched some part of the game (26.5 million). The game aired live on nine television networks in eight languages via Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm biased, but I'm still stunned that after yesterday 21-year old Jonathan Toews has FIVE gold medals on his international resume. In just six tournaments.
      "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Steve Ott is worth almost $3 million as a hockey player?
        As a hockey player? No. As a first-class pr1ck? Sure.

Comment

Well, I guess you can't fault VS. for trying.
          VERSUS will drop the puck on its wall-to-wall post-Olympic hockey coverage tonight at 9 p.m. ET when the Colorado Avalanche host the Detroit Red Wings in the first game following the two-week Olympic break and the only NHL action on television tonight. The action continues on Tuesday, March 2, at 7:30 p.m. ET when the Philadelphia Flyers visit the Tampa Bay Lightning.

To build on the excitement generated by the 2010 Winter Games, the network added five bonus games to the week’s schedule. VERSUS’ first bonus game of the week, on March 2, will feature the San Jose Sharks hosting the New Jersey Devils at 10:30 p.m. ET. The match-up will showcase many U.S. and Canadian Olympic hockey team members, such as Zach Parise and Jamie Langenbrunner of the Devils and Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski of the Sharks. The game will not air on VERSUS in the team markets due to local blackout restrictions.

On Wednesday, March 3, at 7 p.m. ET, VERSUS will televise the Washington Capitals and Buffalo Sabres game, in which goaltender Ryan Miller, MVP of the Olympic hockey tournament, will resume his post in the Sabres net and Alex Ovechkin makes his return to the NHL-leading Capitals. Local blackouts apply so home team markets will see the Philadelphia Flyers/Florida Panthers game at 7:30 p.m. ET.

VERSUS’ week of bonus game coverage concludes on Thursday, March 4, when Sidney Crosby of the Penguins and the hero for Team Canada with the Gold Medal game-winning goal, will visit the New York Rangers at 7 p.m. ET. The game will be blacked out in team markets and viewers in Pittsburgh and New York will have access to the Toronto Maple Leafs/Boston Bruins game.

Beginning on Tuesday, March 2, and continuing through the end of the regular season, VERSUS will also air HONDA Drive to the Playoffs; a 30-minute pre-game Hockey Central prior to each Tuesday night NHL telecast. The network will also air full half-hour pre-game shows on March 1 and 3. The network’s regular season coverage continues on Monday, March 8, at 7 p.m. ET when the Dallas Stars visit the Washington Capitals and on Tuesday, March 9, at 7:30 p.m. ET with the Philadelphia Flyers hosting the New York Islanders.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

They're trying. Although if you've got DirecTV you're not seeing tonight's game. Also if you have DirecTV and Center Ice you're still not seeing tonight's lone game, but you probably knew that already since it's a Versus exclusive broadcast.

Also: Denis Grebeshkov traded from Edmonton to Nashville for a 2nd round pick. Edmonton is slated to play in Nashville tomorrow night. Imagine that talk (in Russian I figure) "Hey, Denis, can you grab your gear and move it over to the other locker room? Why? Oh, yeah... You're playing for them now."
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Frankly, even though the NHL is pretty much a 6 year old between a couple 50 ton goliaths when it comes to DirectTV and Comcast, Bettman ought to say something other than "Well, I hope they resolve it." Get off your lazy, incompetent *** and offer some sort of mediation. They'll both turn you down, but at least you looked like you did something.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Frankly, even though the NHL is pretty much a 6 year old between a couple 50 ton goliaths when it comes to DirectTV and Comcast, Bettman ought to say something other than "Well, I hope they resolve it." Get off your lazy, incompetent *** and offer some sort of mediation. They'll both turn you down, but at least you looked like you did something.
                He doesn't want to go and upset Big Brother NBC though, especially now that Comcast is buying into them and they already own Versus. Why choose a side now and bite the hand that feeds you gruel?

It's stupid. I'm sure if something gets done before the playoffs he'll act like the hero of the day for giving the fans their playoff action while making all the regular season games that DirecTV subscribers missed out on seem like nothing. After all, it's just the playoffs that matter to fans, right?

Comment

The espn.com story on the TV ratings for the gold medal game had an interesting tidbit:

Buffalo -- where tournament MVP Ryan Miller plays for the Sabres -- was the top individual market in the United States, with a 32.6 rating. Pittsburgh, Detroit, Minneapolis and Milwaukee rounded out the top five.
                  No numbers to quantify and give that further context, but I'll say that one of those cities COMPLETELY shocked me.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    The espn.com story on the TV ratings for the gold medal game had an interesting tidbit:

No numbers to quantify and give that further context, but I'll say that one of those cities COMPLETELY shocked me.
                    Detroit? I know, me too..

Back to the Playoff Push...I'm excited!
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Oilers send Grebeshkov to Preds for 2nd rounder

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                        Also: Denis Grebeshkov traded from Edmonton to Nashville for a 2nd round pick. Edmonton is slated to play in Nashville tomorrow night. Imagine that talk (in Russian I figure) "Hey, Denis, can you grab your gear and move it over to the other locker room? Why? Oh, yeah... You're playing for them now."
                        Heh, that's convenient.

Comment

Anaheim trades Evgeni Artyukhin to Atlanta for Nathan Oystrick and a 2011 pick.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                            Anaheim trades Evgeni Artyukhin to Atlanta for Nathan Oystrick and a 2011 pick.
                            Uh-oh, aparch isn't going to like that.

Comment

That was a brutal call by Kerry Fraser.
                              Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                                That was a brutal call by Kerry Fraser.
                                E pluribus unum.
                                Last edited by GreatLakerMohawk; 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X