X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
    When push came to shove most of the players wouldn't go. Its easy to use bravado and say sure I'll go anyways: its another thing entirely if they have to give up millions of their money to go. Maybe Oveckhin goes. But if you think a majority of guys go anyways...you're crazy.
    They might, depending on the penalties. If it's a suspension for a week or something, I think many would go (mostly the Euros, IMO). But if it's career-threatening, or blackballing, then I'd agree with you.

I think figuring out the possible end result could help in figuring out what is actually gonna happen.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      They might, depending on the penalties. If it's a suspension for a week or something, I think many would go (mostly the Euros, IMO). But if it's career-threatening, or blackballing, then I'd agree with you.

I think figuring out the possible end result could help in figuring out what is actually gonna happen.
      It's all going to matter what, if any changes in the CBA say.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It's all going to matter what, if any changes in the CBA say.
        Exactly. So in my question, if the NHL is banking on the players staying (no matter what), the NHLPA can get away with a lot more. If many are really considering just up and going, the NHL might have to really play hardball.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Exactly. So in my question, if the NHL is banking on the players staying (no matter what), the NHLPA can get away with a lot more. If many are really considering just up and going, the NHL might have to really play hardball.
          Honestly, I don't think they players would sign onto something that basically tells them to go **** themselves if they want to play for their home country. I mean, I have definitely seen athletic unions basically cripple themselves but this is slightly different if you ask me.

What could the NHL possibly say or do to threaten their players. Without the Ovechkins, Malkins, and Crosbys this league would not be the same (as much as I hate to say that).
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Honestly, I don't think they players would sign onto something that basically tells them to go **** themselves if they want to play for their home country. I mean, I have definitely seen athletic unions basically cripple themselves but this is slightly different if you ask me.

What could the NHL possibly say or do to threaten their players. Without the Ovechkins, Malkins, and Crosbys this league would not be the same (as much as I hate to say that).
            Oh I agree. But they ALL know what happens when a stoppage in play happens, and they ALL know it isn't good. I think a stoppage is the LAST thing they want, period. Hence the dilemma.

Who's gonna bend first? How far will one side go before the other bends? Trying to figure out all the results, and working backwards, will provide us with the probable answers, in my opinion.

Comment

Oh I agree. But they ALL know what happens when a stoppage in play happens, and they ALL know it isn't good. I think a stoppage is the LAST thing they want, period. Hence the dilemma.

Who's gonna bend first? How far will one side go before the other bends? Trying to figure out all the results, and working backwards, will provide us with the probable answers, in my opinion.
              I think they are both scared as hell about a lockout but honestly, there are tons of other leagues that would be happy to take them (not that places like the k-league are good choices especially after that kid died recently) but I'm just saying...
              Code:

Comment

I think they are both scared as hell about a lockout but honestly, there are tons of other leagues that would be happy to take them (not that places like the k-league are good choices especially after that kid died recently) but I'm just saying...
                Bingo, in reference to my Euros take on the bit (along with I think the Euros take the "playing for your country" a little more serious than US/Canadian players, even if only it's the normal overlap between those two countries in the sport, thereby blurring the line, so to speak, of nationalities).

Comment

According to my sources within the Vancouver Canucks organization, the New York Rangers are willing to part with G Henrik Lundqvist and a bucket of fried chicken to obtain the services of G Roberto Luongo. Remember, you heard it here first!

Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Also, the NHL isn't above fining the teams themselves for it. The Sharks were going to release Marco Sturm early in 1998 to play in the preliminary round for Germany and the league threatened them with a $1 million fine.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      Also, the NHL isn't above fining the teams themselves for it. The Sharks were going to release Marco Sturm early in 1998 to play in the preliminary round for Germany and the league threatened them with a $1 million fine.
                      Yeah, but what happens if the players tell the league and their teams to go **** themselves?

I have a feeling this whole thing could get ugly if bettman continues his quest to rid north america of hockey.
                      Code:

Comment

Yeah, but what happens if the players tell the league and their teams to go **** themselves?

I have a feeling this whole thing could get ugly if bettman continues his quest to rid north america of hockey.
                        There's too many variable right now to even guess at 4 years out.

1. The Olympics in 2014 currently have no TV deal
                        2. The NHL has no CBA past 2011
                        3. There's no way to guess the state of the KHL and the IIHF transfer agreements by then. Is the KHL viable enough (Basically, is oil back over $120 a barrel) to support a few dozen NHL stars that come over for a year or longer? The other European leagues aren't real viable homes because they play in 4,000 seat arenas. That's why everyone came back in 2005-06.
                        4. If there isn't a deal, what does USA Hockey and Hockey Canada do? Do they still invite NHL guys to their camps the summer before and thumb their noses at the league? If they don't, the entire threat falls apart, because all you're losing are some Europeans that will come crawling back anyway and the Russians, and Ovechkin is really the only unreplaceable one for the league as a whole. Hell, you can theorize that scoring in that year will go up because of the diluted talent base, like the 80's.

If the Canadians and Americans go, then you've got a nice game of chicken setting up for the year.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Hence my original question. If the league blackballs them, or makes it all legal-like in contract fine print......then what?

Meaning:

Bettman: if you play in Sochi, we have to take action.

Players: we're going. Period.

Bettman: Then the NHL will never take you back. Period.

Players: Okay. There are other leagues.

Bettman: Crap, you called my bluff. Ok, how about we suspend each of you two weeks, which will be served during the Olympics, and then we're cool?

Players: Deal.

Comment

Hence my original question. If the league blackballs them, or makes it all legal-like in contract fine print......then what?

Meaning:

Bettman: if you play in Sochi, we have to take action.

Players: we're going. Period.

Bettman: Then the NHL will never take you back. Period.

Bettman: Crap, you called my bluff. Ok, how about we suspend each of you two weeks, which will be served during the Olympics, and then we're cool?

Players: Deal.
                            Win
                            Code:

Comment

There's one legit real league in the world. The KHL is falling apart. Enjoy playing for 1/10th the money in facilities where guys die because of the pathetic medical budget!

Yeah, if the players really care about the Olympics they're going to have to give up something. Something substantial like a year of FA or something.
                              Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                                There's one legit real league in the world. The KHL is falling apart. Enjoy playing for 1/10th the money in facilities where guys die because of the pathetic medical budget!

Yeah, if the players really care about the Olympics they're going to have to give up something. Something substantial like a year of FA or something.
                                You're missing my point. There's a threat from both sides. I am trying to figure out what would happen as a result from those threats, and working backwards.

Does Bettman want to face the players' threats, no matter how ludicrous, or will he bend? And vice versa?

Comment

Working...
                                X