X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    I do wonder if the NHL owners are still harboring bad feelings over the 1998 Olympics in Japan, although I would've thought that would've been taken care of in the Labor wars of 2004.

Obviously the time aspect throws things off, but picking and choosing which games to have the NHL participate in seems awfully petty. Sometimes the benefits of the sacrifice outweigh the issues.
    It's a narrow view to have NHL representation at North American Winter Olympics only. I'm sure the KHL will let their players go to Sochi. I'd love to see Ovechkin in front of his home fans fighting a medal. The Olympics are creating a buzz for the NHL product and I think it will continue if they go over in 2014.

And here's an idea... start the season a week or two earlier to compensate for the loss of league games.
    Twitter: DanMountSports
    2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Scooby, stop being intentionally obtuse. Even for you, this is a new low.
      Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

I do wonder if the NHL owners are still harboring bad feelings over the 1998 Olympics in Japan, although I would've thought that would've been taken care of in the Labor wars of 2004.

Obviously the time aspect throws things off, but picking and choosing which games to have the NHL participate in seems awfully petty. Sometimes the benefits of the sacrifice outweigh the issues.
        I think Vancouver made them going to Torino a guarantee, since it's pretty obvious how childish you're being if you're in Salt Lake and Vancouver, but bail out of Italy. We're now looking at 12-16 years before it's back on the North American continent now, though. TV ratings aren't as good across the board when the games are elsewhere, and I can only guess what kind of media exists 4 or 8 years from now that makes the current NBC tape delay setup look even more prehistoric.

Heck, the Olympics might not even be on network TV in 2014 if ESPN outbids everyone. What if all the hockey events are only on ESPN360 or its successor?
        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
          Heck, the Olympics might not even be on network TV in 2014 if ESPN outbids everyone. What if all the hockey events are only on ESPN360 or its successor?
          And we all know how much ESPN LOVES hockey.

The EPL gets more coverage than the NHL.
          Twitter: DanMountSports
          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

I don't think it will be announced/made official to tomorrow, but the Predators appear to have landed a new sponsor for their arena, following the dissolution of the agreement with Sommet.

Bridgestone has stepped up and will take over naming rights. I don't know what the arena will officially be called yet - I'd assume Bridgestone Arena or the Bridgestone Center.

You can all rest easy now. In all seriousness, much needed for the plight of hockey here in Nashville.

Comment

Much better than the Sommet Center that's for sure. It also keeps people from calling it the So-Gay Center as well.
              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
                Scooby, stop being intentionally obtuse. Even for you, this is a new low.
                Obtuse? Low? How am I being low? I'm not shredding bronconick for his argument, why am I getting attacked for mine?
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Obtuse? Low? How am I being low? I'm not shredding bronconick for his argument, why am I getting attacked for mine?
                  Did you wear a referee's shirt when you wrote that post? That would be a good explanation at least.

Comment

Did you wear a referee's shirt when you wrote that post? That would be a good explanation at least.
                    I must have. I gotta stop wearing the black and white with the vertical stripes. I guess I need to go shopping.

Word is Ovechkin will bail if the NHL doesn't do the next Olympics. I think I'd like to see the owners play hardball with this and say no to the next Olympics. They really need to assert their authority over the players, and these two weeks are killing them financially.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      Word is Ovechkin will bail if the NHL doesn't do the next Olympics. I think I'd like to see the owners play hardball with this and say no to the next Olympics. They really need to assert their authority over the players, and these two weeks are killing them financially.
                      Ted Leonsis, the Capitals owner, said he'd happily let Ovechkin go to Russia in 2014 because it wouldn't be right of him to deny his superstar player his dream of playing in front of the home fans to represent the country.

That certainly helps to put other owners in an awkward place at least.

Comment

Ted Leonsis, the Capitals owner, said he'd happily let Ovechkin go to Russia in 2014 because it wouldn't be right of him to deny his superstar player his dream of playing in front of the home fans to represent the country.

That certainly helps to put other owners in an awkward place at least.
                        The rest of the East owners outside of Pittsburgh (Malkin) will vote against going just to get a few weeks where they can pummel Washington and Pittsburgh.
                        "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The rest of the East owners outside of Pittsburgh (Malkin) will vote against going just to get a few weeks where they can pummel Washington and Pittsburgh.
                          It'd be funny if Pittsburgh didn't let him go because of the thought process, "Well if we let him go, we have to let Sid go too and we're just not about to do that."

Then Malkin burns down the city.

Comment

Haha. I think that's a brilliant plan.

Although honestly, any one of these players could have a career-ending injury before then. Four years is a long time.
                            "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

It'd be funny if Pittsburgh didn't let him go because of the thought process, "Well if we let him go, we have to let Sid go too and we're just not about to do that."

Then Malkin burns down the city.
                              Pittsburgh burning makes me chuckle as well. Doesn't have to be Malkin doing it, either.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Today's Knockout Round Schedule is crazily full (all times Eastern because I have Eastern Bias):

3 pm: Switzerland v. Belarus (USA Network)
                                7:30 pm : Canada v. Germany (CNBC)
                                10 pm: Czech Republic v. Latvia (CNBC)
                                Midnight: Slovakia v. Norway (CNBC)

I'll be curious to see how they'll manage to make the 10 pm game move along in just two hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X