X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
    That would be consistent with the "Let's Do What Montreal Does One Year Later" model they seem to be following.

-Play way above their heads and win the Eastern Conference's top seed? CHECK
    -Have a letdown in the Conference Semis and lose to a team they were expected to beat? CHECK.
    -Enter the year with ridiculously high expectations, their fans even uttering the phrase "Serious Cup Contenders" with a straight face? CHECK
    -Get wracked with injuries and disappointing performances from guys who played way better the year before? CHECK
    -Barely make the playoffs? CHECK (probably)
    -Get smoked in the first round of the playoffs and end the season in embarrassing fashion? Remains to be seen.
    -Blow up the team and bring in several new players? Remains to be seen.

I'd bet against the B's blowing things up to the extent of Montreal. But the other resemblance to the Habs in their fortunes over a 2 year period is (up to this point) pretty much dead-on.
    More parallels: Michael Ryder in the chateau bow-wow. He was moved down to the fourth line in practice today. Another well-spent $4 million a year there. After they sent Morris back to Phoenix they talked about how they "misjudged" his ability. Gee, what could the Bruins have used his $3.5 million dollars for? I don't know, maybe Phil Kessel.

The Bruins are so unbelievably sloppy with money it's hilarious. They also gave Joe Colborne $1.1 million a year for his entry level two-way contract. Uhhh... Guys?
    R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
      More parallels: Michael Ryder in the chateau bow-wow. He was moved down to the fourth line in practice today. Another well-spent $4 million a year there. After they sent Morris back to Phoenix they talked about how they "misjudged" his ability. Gee, what could the Bruins have used his $3.5 million dollars for? I don't know, maybe Phil Kessel.

The Bruins are so unbelievably sloppy with money it's hilarious. They also gave Joe Colborne $1.1 million a year for his entry level two-way contract. Uhhh... Guys?
      Not as sloppy as the Rangers though.

It amazes me how the Rangers sign guys to ridiculous contracts and then teams like the Penguins get Staal locked up for 4 million a year and the Canucks get Kelser for 5 million.

Those are the kind of guys I want on my team yet we give Roszival 5 million and Redden 8 million. Genius.

The only players the Rangers are getting their bang for buck for are Lundqvist, Gaborik, Prospal, Staal and Christensen.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Not as sloppy as the Rangers though.

It amazes me how the Rangers sign guys to ridiculous contracts and then teams like the Penguins get Staal locked up for 4 million a year and the Canucks get Kelser for 5 million.

Those are the kind of guys I want on my team yet we give Roszival 5 million and Redden 8 million. Genius.

The only players the Rangers are getting their bang for buck for are Lundqvist, Gaborik, Prospal, Staal and Christensen.
        You were able to find a sucker for Scott Gomez' insanely inflated price tag. The guy has been a pretty good player for MTL, but not nearly worth what he's being paid.

Comment

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
          You were able to find a sucker for Scott Gomez' insanely inflated price tag. The guy has been a pretty good player for MTL, but not nearly worth what he's being paid.
          Honestly, I don't know what the Canadians' GM was smoking that day. While Higgins didn't exactly work out, I don't know how the Rangers managed to get McDonagh AND Higgins for Gomez and some prospects. Talk about a lopsided deal.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

Originally posted by BUT09 View Post
            Honestly, I don't know what the Canadians' GM was smoking that day. While Higgins didn't exactly work out, I don't know how the Rangers managed to get McDonagh AND Higgins for Gomez and some prospects. Talk about a lopsided deal.
            And they leveraged that freed up cap space to get their only offensive player, Marian Gaborik.
            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Nice to see LUUUUUUUUU!!!! is ready for the playoffs.
              You mean Ro8erto 7uongo?

/takes joy in the failings of other teams since embracing his own team's failure.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Thanks to Hershey Bears announcer John Walton and the folks at On Frozen Blog for what may just be the ultimate hockey dad story.

If this doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you're a hard-hearted SOB!

******* height="394" width="448">****** name="movie" value="http://www.nbcwashington.com/syndication?id=89748467&path=%2Fnews%2Flocal-beat">****** src="http://www.nbcwashington.com/syndication?id=89748467&path=%2Fnews%2Flocal-beat" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" height="394" width="448">

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/video.

Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Ouch. Steve Downie just got a stick to the midsection. His own stick - it snapped in half.

Reminiscent of Joe Pereira on BU last year. Hope he's okay.
                  "You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretzky

Photography

Comment

The Chicago/New Jersey game tonight was the first in the NHL since March 28, 2001 (Boston at Toronto) in which neither team was assessed a penalty.
                    "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

I love how the Rangers are getting my hopes up right now that they'll actually make the playoffs.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
                        The Chicago/New Jersey game tonight was the first in the NHL since March 28, 2001 (Boston at Toronto) in which neither team was assessed a penalty.
                        That was a pretty good game, despite the NJ loss.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

So we've got Boucher vs Osgood in Philly this afternoon, and it's 3-2 Flyers a minute into the 2nd period. I'll take "8-5 final" for $200, Alex.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            So we've got Boucher vs Osgood in Philly this afternoon, and it's 3-2 Flyers a minute into the 2nd period. I'll take "8-5 final" for $200, Alex.
                            Gotta love dueling Sieves...
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Does anyone have a team to add to the squads that are allowed to play on Sundays on NBC?

Detroit Red Wings
                              Philadelphia Flyers
                              Pittsburgh Penguins
                              Washington Captails
                              New York Rangers
                              Boston Bruins
                              Chicago Blackhawks

I think the Hawks only got added this year when NBC realized no one wanted to watch the Bruins when they're so bad.
                              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                                Does anyone have a team to add to the squads that are allowed to play on Sundays on NBC?

Detroit Red Wings
                                Philadelphia Flyers
                                Pittsburgh Penguins
                                Washington Captails
                                New York Rangers
                                Boston Bruins
                                Chicago Blackhawks

I think the Hawks only got added this year when NBC realized no one wanted to watch the Bruins when they're so bad.
                                The Rangers haven't even played that much on Sunday afternoon this year.

But yes, those are the ones. I think the Devils may play occasionally.
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X