X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010 NHL Season Part 3: After The Gold Rush

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    I assume you're referring to Thornton and Kessel? Surely you don't think those guys are go to leaders/franchise players...

Has Thornton proven to be that guy in the playoffs? Do you think Kessel is a face of the franchise type player?
    Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel were drafted highly by the Bruins and then traded away when they, coincidence or not, got to a point where they'd need to be paid a salary commensurate with their abilities. They are Boston's two best draft picks in the last 15 years and they're better players than any forward currently on the Boston roster. Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.
    "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
      Well, it's not just that. Going back from 2000-2007 (anything more recent would be unfair), who comes to the corefront among Bruins draft choices as being a guy that really was a standout guy for Boston?

If Kessel isn't included on that list, only Bergeron, Krejci and (to a MUCH lesser extent) Lucic come close to really filling that description.

Boston just hasn't made a name for themselves with their ability to draft/develop talent in recent years. Perhaps with Chiarelli things will show signs of a bigtime turnaround over the next several years. Montreal saw similar things in the 90s and early this decade and things seem to be changing there; maybe they will in Boston's case, too.

You wouldn't think anyone would be able to miss with two top-10 picks, and that's what the B's may certainly have.
      You're going back to 2000? I have no desire to defend Harry Sinden in his later years and then Mike O'Connell. Chiarelli's had some good moves and some not so good moves. My thought process is that right now they'd have the #2 pick if the balls bounce the right way. That's the highest they'd have under Chiarelli and will be as close to a franchise player as you'll get. It will be his make or break pick.

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
      Joe Thornton and Phil Kessel were drafted highly by the Bruins and then traded away when they, coincidence or not, got to a point where they'd need to be paid a salary commensurate with their abilities.
      Check out the Bruins cap numbers. They have been spending right to it. They didn't think Kessel was worth what he got from Toronto. I happen to agree with that. He has some severe limitations. Again, this upcoming Toronto pick is going to have to be their franchise player they thought they were getting in Thornton/Kessel.

Comment

You're going back to 2000? I have no desire to defend Harry Sinden in his later years and then Mike O'Connell. Chiarelli's had some good moves and some not so good moves. My thought process is that right now they'd have the #2 pick if the balls bounce the right way. That's the highest they'd have under Chiarelli and will be as close to a franchise player as you'll get. It will be his make or break pick..
        Absolutely I went back to 2000....I'm not looking to make a case for or against the Bruins organization....in fact I tried to be as kind to their drafting as possible! Going back that far allowed for the widest possible amount of people to be put on my list of quality choices. I didn't look at the last 2 draft years because it's too soon, but if there was a game breaker there, I'd have included him. Remember: I wasn't going back that far to look for BAD picks. I was looking only for GOOD picks...the further back I went, the more players could be included in that category.

Despite that, there were a total of 3. And that's if you count Lucic (I don't, but I can see the argument). The bottom line: the Bruins have been rank at drafting and developing talent for a long time, regardless of who has been in charge.

I also mentioned that things MAY be turning around. Hopefully for B's fans, Chiarelli and his two top picks will be able to turn that around.
        Last edited by ColbyWMHB; 03-09-2010, 06:39 PM.

Comment

You're going back to 2000? I have no desire to defend Harry Sinden in his later years and then Mike O'Connell. Chiarelli's had some good moves and some not so good moves. My thought process is that right now they'd have the #2 pick if the balls bounce the right way. That's the highest they'd have under Chiarelli and will be as close to a franchise player as you'll get. It will be his make or break pick.

Check out the Bruins cap numbers. They have been spending right to it. They didn't think Kessel was worth what he got from Toronto. I happen to agree with that. He has some severe limitations. Again, this upcoming Toronto pick is going to have to be their franchise player they thought they were getting in Thornton/Kessel.
          This is why a salary floor for mlb scares me: owners will point to the cap when they spend stupidly to show that they're trying. Then when they have to package young quality talent to get rid of the big underperforming contract-getter they'll have a built in excuse when the young talent manifests itself. Long story short, just because they spend up to the cap doesn't mean they're doing it well. Look at Lucic's deal. It's pretty expensive considering they could be putting that money to a guy who puts up a lot more points. It would be fine if he was on the Pens or someone like that (heck Orpik is getting 3.75) but on the Bruins without any scoring? Seems like the Bruins need to allocate their funds more properly.
          Feed The Hungry! Click once a day!

Comment

They've paid to the cap by giving average players big salaries. The bruins do nothing well. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrierbyassociation View Post
              Look at Lucic's deal. It's pretty expensive considering they could be putting that money to a guy who puts up a lot more points. It would be fine if he was on the Pens or someone like that (heck Orpik is getting 3.75) but on the Bruins without any scoring? Seems like the Bruins need to allocate their funds more properly.
              Completely agree on Lucic. Had a breakout year last year and they overpaid him. He shouldn't be making more than Krejci.

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
              They've paid to the cap by giving average players big salaries. The bruins do nothing well. Period.
              Spending to the cap and spending that money properly are two different things. My point was you can't use the same, tired excuse and blame the owner anymore for being cheap when it comes to player personnel. This will be Chiarelli's biggest pick. Absolutely has to come away with a franchise player.

Comment

No suspension for Cooke.

GMs working on framework of penalty for blindside hits to head.

Comment

No suspension for Cooke.
                  Unreal. I love the NHL but this plain sucks.
                  Merrimack College Warriors
                  Boston Bruins Hockey
                  Stanley Cup Champions: 1929, 1939, 1941, 1970, 1972

"Go! Go! Black and gold!
                  Old-time hockey, bar the door
                  Clear the track it's all-out war
                  Light the lamp, throw a hit
                  Black and gold never quit
                  The barn is full, our team's in town
                  So put 'em up boys, knock 'em down
                  Drop the puck, it's time to go"
                  -Dropkick Murphys

Sports Juke - a mediocre blog - updated several time daily
                  Friend us on Facebook!

Comment

Let's review what a suspension is:

This is worth 1 game:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijH7_HC5-ls&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ijH7_HC5-ls&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

This is worth no games:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Kd6_eccyYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Kd6_eccyYc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

This is worth 4 games:
                    ******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mAdKiK_Fto&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mAdKiK_Fto&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

This is worth no games:

******* width="640" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_F7LEZ78_o&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_F7LEZ78_o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">
                    Boston Bruins Hockey

"Go! Go! Black and gold!
                    -Dropkick Murphys

Friend us on Facebook!

Comment

Remind me to watch Boston-Pittsburgh next Thursday.
                      "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Remind me to watch Boston-Pittsburgh next Thursday.
                        Remind Lucic to actually do something about it.
                        Boston Bruins Hockey

"Go! Go! Black and gold!
                        -Dropkick Murphys

Friend us on Facebook!

Comment

Why waste your time, bronco? Nothing will happen (other than the Pens having their way with the B's)

Good to see the NHL policing their players properly. Cooke said he was sorry, I guess that's enough. Maybe he'll write a get well soon card to Savard and they can have ice cream together...

Actually knowing the Bruins, they'll probably have a tea party and invite Cooke to attend.
                          Last edited by WildShawn; 03-10-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

The NHL, where Sean Avery gets a lengthy suspension for saying something stupid and Matt Cooke gets no suspension for trying to take another player's head off.

Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Also worth zero games, and more than likely the comparison point for the NHL since Colin Campbell somehow viewed Cooke as hitting Savard with his shoulder.

******* width="560" height="340">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSILVbnofZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eSILVbnofZM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">
                              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by moe24 View Post
                                The NHL, where Sean Avery gets a lengthy suspension for saying something stupid and Matt Cooke gets no suspension for trying to take another player's head off.

Wow. I had forgotten about that. Sean Avery was nearly run out of the league for those comments while Matt Cooke is still lacing them back up. Good call Moe.
                                Boston Bruins Hockey

"Go! Go! Black and gold!
                                -Dropkick Murphys

Friend us on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                X