2009-2010: Official Minnesota Wild Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2009-2010: Official Minnesota Wild Thread

First, I really have no opinion on the Pouliot/Latendresse trade. A "horse-a-piece" in my mind, to quote some odd western slang (and probably not even correctly, but you get my meaning, right). I will say, I felt I was seeing some good things out of Pouliot before he was hurt recently--especially in contrast to Shep. I'll be interested to watch to see if that continues with the Habs once he is healthy.

To the lineup questions: maybe, Nolan and Bruno will be traded off for prospects and high picks sooner? As other forwards get healthy, Fletch might start to sell off his most valuable assets. Just a guess to add fuel to the fire.

I really don't think PMB will be back--this year, and maybe for good. Too many of these concussions are reoccurring too soon; the effect being team doctors are now more cautious than ever to clear a player. That observation is a good argument for "old school" vs. "new school" debate. I'm not sure where I stand? You don't want to ever intentionally put someone in a situation where they can die if you can help it, but let's face it, there are lots of different ways to die by just going about your daily business.

If I had to wager on it, PMB is probably more likely to return than Burns. To be concussed that easily can't make one a very effective hockey player at any level, let alone the NHL. It really is too bad such a promising hockey career has such a good chance to be wiped out. Whether Burnsie can physically return or not, when do the concussions factor into questions of effectiveness on the ice?
    Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
    Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Funny bit from the 93X morning show yesterday:

When asked about the trade of Puliot to the Canadiens, Wild coach Todd Richards had this to say: "Pouliot!?!? I said Sheppard!!!"

Comment

Nick absolutely hates Sheppard.
        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
          You sure about that? The Maple Leafs haven't been demoted to the AHL yet.
          COuld provide entertainment.

I'll remind everyone here my thoughts:

First, the next few years are going to be rough for Wild fans. They're not going to be very good until they are able to rebuild their farm system and acquire enough talent to rejuvenate themselves under the new system.

Second, I really see this system as mimicking the Penguins from round about the time just prior to Sidney Crosby's draft to the present. Maybe the Wild can snipe a few of the scouts the Red Wings employ so that they can snatch a few gems from the 5th-7th rounds like the Wings have over the past 10 years or more. I know the Wild are capable of doing this. They got Backstrom out of obscurity (though they didn't draft him) and look at him now. Even with the crappy D, I still consider him (as a NON WILD FAN no less) to be among the best goaltenders in the NHL.

Third, I think we're seeing once again how awful Risebrough was as a GM. He's built nothing into this system. Houston's team is seen as a joke. There are a TON of "woulda shoulda couldas" when it comes to a draft instead of the usual "oh well, win a few lose a few" toss ups that teams with great GMs usually find themselves in when a recruit doesn't pan out. I mean, where would the Wild have been had they traded down in 2005 for another draft pick (perhaps a 3rd or 4th round) to SJ's spot and taken Devon Setoguchi instead of Benoit Pouliot?

Fourth, toss up as it may seem, I like the Latendresse trade. Latendresse has shown he has the ability to score professionally. Pouliot has not. And as for his disappointing 14-16 goal performances in the past, first off, his 14 goal performance would have tied him for 6th on the team last season in goal scoring. Lastly, the worst that could happen is that you got a lower priced player if you want him to stick around (he's an RFA at the end of this season).

I think, for what it is worth, the Wild will get better. And seriously... Red Wings, Hawks, and Wild being good makes this division the best division and makes the Eastern Bias Idiots look bad. Just my take.
          Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Originally posted by redwing77 View Post
            I think, for what it is worth, the Wild will get better. And seriously... Red Wings, Hawks, and Wild being good makes this division the best division and makes the Eastern Bias Idiots look bad. Just my take.
            Except the Wild are in the Northeast division, with Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Colorado.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Except the Wild are in the Northeast division, with Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and Colorado.
              D'OH!
              Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                That must be news for Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, and Boston.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                  That must be news for Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, and Boston.
                  Typo!!! my bad, meant northwest
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

This thread is now completely filled to the brim with FAIL.

Which, considering how the season is going, seems perfectly appropriate.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      This thread is now completely filled to the brim with FAIL.

Which, considering how the season is going, seems perfectly appropriate.
                      I had one of my rare moments and watched the Wild against Colorado this weekend. Both games were pretty good and the Wild "won" both of them. Maybe they're turning the corner?

Yep, I must have taken my delusional pills this morning.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        I had one of my rare moments and watched the Wild against Colorado this weekend. Both games were pretty good and the Wild "won" both of them. Maybe they're turning the corner?

I was thinking the same thing (about the Wild, not your pill-popping ways ), the Wild have, at the very least, been interesting to watch the past few weeks.

Too bad the diva didn't get one year at MN playing for Richards....

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I was thinking the same thing this morning. They've gotten points in 8 of their last 10 (5-2-3) and they essentially dominated Colorado for most of both games. I think the real turning point will be when some of the key injured players start coming back. If they can jump in with the enthusiasm and work ethic the team showed this weekend, the Wild will start winning.
                          Boosh Factor: 11

Michigan Tech Autographed Goal Pucks

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
                            I was thinking the same thing this morning. They've gotten points in 8 of their last 10 (5-2-3) and they essentially dominated Colorado for most of both games. I think the real turning point will be when some of the key injured players start coming back. If they can jump in with the enthusiasm and work ethic the team showed this weekend, the Wild will start winning.
                            I think it's a healthy combo of the Wild figuring things out and playing better (and adding better players too) as well as Colorado finally getting the statistical correction they've been destined to have. It makes for a good combo for the Wild.
                            R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

The Wild are getting better. They need more consistency (defensively 5 on 5 and offensively with the PP) but I've seen enough to feel the GM and coaching moves were the right choice. And they've had a ton of injuries to battle through. Good enough to make the playoffs? Probably not, but it doesn't feel hopeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                The Wild are getting better. They need more consistency (defensively 5 on 5 and offensively with the PP) but I've seen enough to feel the GM and coaching moves were the right choice. And they've had a ton of injuries to battle through. Good enough to make the playoffs? Probably not, but it doesn't feel hopeless.
                                You know who else needs more consistancy? Gary Sheffield.

RIP FJM.

Sorry, this post just reminded me of a JoeChat.
                                Bulldog Hockey: 2011 National Champions! Finally!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X