Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    If you're calling for Dems to do this, why don't you call for Repubs to start doing it first?

Or I guess you like warrantless wiretapping, seizing private property to hand over to businesses, bringing government to a halt to legislate on people's private medical decisions, etc.
    Patman resides in some apparant bizzaro world where principled Republicans refuse to engage in pork barrel spending, live their lives according to the Christian teachings they try to force on everybody else, and balance budgets and cut spending whenever they're in power. I'm not sure what world these conservative Republicans actually exist on, because its not planet Earth, but perhaps Patman will be nice enough to give us directions to this place sometime so we can all see it for ourselves.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
      The partisan democrats need more people with moderate view points on fiscal sanity, constitutionalism, and personal responsibility. Ones that know we are a nation of laws and a nation of people whose individual rights trump the government's desire to solve society for the collective.
      I'm unclear on why (taking this to an absolute extreme that I don't advocate for), even a British NHS system of healthcare would be unconstitutional.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        I wasn't at CPAC this year (although I wanted to go - I've had a good time there in the past), but Ron Paul fans are notorious for their, ahem, zealotry when it comes to supporting Paul in straw polls and especially in meaningless internet polls. It never translated to success at the ballot box in 2008. It's simple. Ron Paul spoke at CPAC this year, drawing a lot of Paulians to the event in the first place. Shrewd move on Paul's part, since it practically guaranteed that he would stand out in the poll considering that the conservative mainstream hasn't coalesced behind any one candidate. The CPAC Straw Poll always carries some free press with it.

Paul's an interesting character who fascinated me long before he became the Dennis Kucinich of the GOP (big on rabid supporters, low on real national turnout). On one hand, I respect the guy for taking a hard stance on his beliefs, especially since they run in complete counter to everything most politicians on both sides of the aisle stand for these days. On the other hand, he's at the head of a political cult that makes Obama's from 2008 look semi-pedestrian, and I agree with Patman that his relatively active courting of the racist fringe is really unsettling.
        That's about right. I've always analogized Paul as the crazy aunt you keep locked up in her room except for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Apart from his own kool aid drinkers, Paul creates a Chris Mathews-like vibrartion in the lower extremities of folks who would dearly love him to have a greater influence in the Republican party. He doesn't and he won't.

On another matter, J.D. Hayworth is an amiable gas bag who won't defeat McCain in the primary. Despite my occasional disagreements with him, McCain is a guy who's character is beyond reproach. Let's compare his character to, say, Ted Kennedy's.

The two central aspects of Kennedy's public life were 1. The murder of his two brothers (acts which established for the next 50 years a "yes, but" exception for Kennedy). No matter what he said or did (the drinking, skirt chasing, smearing of opponants, etc) many Americans were willing to look the other way, reasoning, "yes, but he lost two brothers. . ." 2. The death of Mary Jo Kopechne, an event which revealed his lack of character for all to see. An act in which the "yes, but" exception was in full force, despite his obvious and continual lying about what happened that night ("I was unfamiliar with the road").

The central event of McCain's life was five years spent in a stinking Vietnamese prison camp. And his refusal to accept an "early out" because there were people who had been held longer than he.

McCain's experience as a POW didn't mean he should be awarded the presidency as a door prize and Kennedy's personal loss gave him a leg up on other contenders for his party's nomination--but his behavior the night he killed an innocent girl trumped that advantage.

Conclusion? Despite being an imperfect person, McCain wins the character competition with Teddy and just about any pol you could name. And when the time comes, the voters in Arizona will remember that.
        Last edited by Old Pio; 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          On another matter, J.D. Hayworth is an amiable gas bag who won't defeat McCain in the primary. Despite my occasional disagreements with him, McCain is a guy who's character is beyond reproach. Let's compare his character to, say, Ted Kennedy's.
          Right on.

I used to have respect for Hayworth, I even met him completely randomly in Washington about 10 years ago and got to chat with him for like five minutes. Thought he was a nice guy. Still respected him up until a couple of weeks ago when I found out he'd thrown his lot in with the birfers. Yeah, no thanks. Since that time I've found him to be exceptionally annoying to boot.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Just saw some video clips from CPAC.

Mitt Romney would like you to know that government run health care is going to destroy your Medicare.

Glenn Beck would like you to know that he learned all he needed to know about how progressivism is going to destroy America at the public library. Glenn made sure to emphasize that the public library is Free. I guess someone forgot to tell Glenn that nothing is really for free.

Thanks to Jon Stewart for reporting these things that Fox News neglected to mention.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Glenn Beck would like you to know that he learned all he needed to know about how progressivism is going to destroy America at the public library. Glenn made sure to emphasize that the public library is Free. I guess someone forgot to tell Glenn that nothing is really for free.
              Was he crying when he said it? It's always better when he cries.
              "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

"I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

sigpic

Comment

Romney wins the latest straw poll, edges out Ron Paul by 1 vote. Shady
                http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35620.html

Comment

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                  Romney wins the latest straw poll, edges out Ron Paul by 1 vote. Shady
                  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35620.html
                  I think its being shown that the purpose of these straw polls are nothing but meme builders. The Paulians have seen that clearly and put a strong effort into these things. I doubt Dr. Paul will have any better luck than usual when it comes to the primaries.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                    I think its being shown that the purpose of these straw polls are nothing but meme builders. The Paulians have seen that clearly and put a strong effort into these things. I doubt Dr. Paul will have any better luck than usual when it comes to the primaries.
                    Oh yeah, like I've said, I bear no illusions about his electoral chances. The organization that his people have could teach the GOP a thing or two though. Perhaps he can push the GOP to the right, which would be a significant achievement.

Comment

Haha, another poll I can get uselessly excited over.
                      http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...42_ron_paul_41

Comment

Working...
                      X