X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMC
    replied
    Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

I don't think you can call Ron Paul a favorite for the nomination, but I think it is interesting to show the direction of the Party.

From years and years of "next in line" and candidates like McCain, and last year's 1/2 Romney and Jindal, who are really "Chamber of Commerce" Republicans, that the Social Conservative and Extreme Libertarian tea party wing of the party seems to be gaining IMMENSE influence.

While it is probably smart politics for the Republicans to channel and co-opt Tea Party anger and activism for the midterms, at some point they are going to have to exert some control. You can't run a presidential campaign on the "THE CIA IS GOING TO PUT MICROCHIPS IN YOUR BRAIN!!!" platform. This is nearing the point that the Tea Partiers are going to have a hard time lining up behind Romney or whatever "establishment" candidate ends up getting the nomination.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by blockski View Post
    No, I don't live over there. They're up at the Woodley Wardman hotel complex in Woodley Park (those hotels are absolutely massive if you've ever been inside), but I ran into a bunch of kids out on the Metro last night that were heading to some sort of party/event at the RNC or NRCC near the Capitol South metro station.

Glad they're rolling on public transportation.
    I saw one guy on the subway Thursday night and so that's my limit of blending of national politics and real life this week.

The blending always seems to come up in weird ways... my first weekend of my 2nd tour had all the Tea Partiers clogging up the Orange Line into the city (I needed groceries). A few weeks ago some teenaged anti-abortion protester couldn't grasp the idea that she probably shouldn't carry a drink on the subway and hold a poster at the same item. Thankfully she didn't lose that drink.

Funny i haven't run into anything from the left-o-sphere yet. I'm sure that's just a matter of time though.

Leave a comment:

• blockski
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    Do you live in that neighborhood? I don't know where they held this thing so I'm just curious because I know its not something I'd seek out.
    No, I don't live over there. They're up at the Woodley Wardman hotel complex in Woodley Park (those hotels are absolutely massive if you've ever been inside), but I ran into a bunch of kids out on the Metro last night that were heading to some sort of party/event at the RNC or NRCC near the Capitol South metro station.

Glad they're rolling on public transportation.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by blockski View Post
    It's always kinda funny to see all these conservative kids wandering around DC. Fish out of water, lots of 'em.
    Do you live in that neighborhood? I don't know where they held this thing so I'm just curious because I know its not something I'd seek out.

Leave a comment:

• blockski
    replied

Not sure this means a whole lot. The CPAC straw poll in advance of the 2008 election came up like this:

In 2007, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney etched out a win over former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani by a margin of 21 percent to 17 percent. Sen. John McCain, who wound up winning the nomination, came in fifth with 12 percent of the vote. In 2008, Romney won again, narrowly beating John McCain, 35 percent to 34 percent, even though Romney had officially dropped out of the race a few days before the poll was released.
    Meanwhile, last year's poll looked like this:

Mitt Romney - 20 percent
    Bobby Jindal - 14 percent
    Ron Paul -13 percent
    Sarah Palin - 13 percent
    Newt Gingrich -10 percent
    Mike Huckabee - 7 percent
    Mark Sanford - 4 percent
    Rudy Guiliani - 3 percent
    Tim Pawlenty - 2 percent
    Charlie Crist - 1 percent
    Undecided - 9 percent
    And this year's results:

2010 CPAC Straw Poll Results
    Ron Paul 31%
    Mitt Romney 22%
    Sarah Palin 7%
    Tim Pawlenty 6%
    Mike Pence 5%
    Newt Gingrich 4%
    Mike Huckabee 4%
    Mitch Daniels 2%
    John Thune 2%
    Rick Santorum 2%
    Haley Barbour 1%
    Bobby Jindal's face must be on a milk carton. That reaction speech was bad, but was it that bad?

It's always kinda funny to see all these conservative kids wandering around DC. Fish out of water, lots of 'em.
    Last edited by blockski; 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BoomGoestheDynamite
    replied

Its his whole background... he's been pandering to the White nationalists types since the the 1980s... the newsletter is only one aspect of it... though yes, most of it is channeled and focused through Llewellyn Rockwell. Its how he's maintained his fringe political support through the years. It was essentially his base for decades and he's pandered to it.

edit: Paul himself may not be a racist but he cast his fate with that lot and he should fall along with that lot.
    Out of curiosity could you elaborate on this? Is it an anti-immigration position taken too far?

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
    Racist? Please elaborate. Is this the newsletter issue?
    Its his whole background... he's been pandering to the White nationalists types since the the 1980s... the newsletter is only one aspect of it... though yes, most of it is channeled and focused through Llewellyn Rockwell. Its how he's maintained his fringe political support through the years. It was essentially his base for decades and he's pandered to it.

edit: Paul himself may not be a racist but he cast his fate with that lot and he should fall along with that lot.

Leave a comment:

• WeWantMore
    replied

wow... I'm not even sure how that's possible.

If the GOP wants to nominate that racist scumbag then I'm done with them.
    Racist? Please elaborate. Is this the newsletter issue?

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

wow... I'm not even sure how that's possible.

If the GOP wants to nominate that racist scumbag then I'm done with them.

Leave a comment:

• WeWantMore
    started a topic Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...raw-poll-cpac/

Has no real bearing on anything. Still pleases me immensely though.
Working...
X