Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...raw-poll-cpac/

    Has no real bearing on anything. Still pleases me immensely though.

  • #2
    Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

    wow... I'm not even sure how that's possible.

    If the GOP wants to nominate that racist scumbag then I'm done with them.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

      Originally posted by Patman View Post
      wow... I'm not even sure how that's possible.

      If the GOP wants to nominate that racist scumbag then I'm done with them.
      Racist? Please elaborate. Is this the newsletter issue?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

        Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
        Racist? Please elaborate. Is this the newsletter issue?
        Its his whole background... he's been pandering to the White nationalists types since the the 1980s... the newsletter is only one aspect of it... though yes, most of it is channeled and focused through Llewellyn Rockwell. Its how he's maintained his fringe political support through the years. It was essentially his base for decades and he's pandered to it.

        edit: Paul himself may not be a racist but he cast his fate with that lot and he should fall along with that lot.
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

        Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey


        NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

          Originally posted by Patman View Post
          Its his whole background... he's been pandering to the White nationalists types since the the 1980s... the newsletter is only one aspect of it... though yes, most of it is channeled and focused through Llewellyn Rockwell. Its how he's maintained his fringe political support through the years. It was essentially his base for decades and he's pandered to it.

          edit: Paul himself may not be a racist but he cast his fate with that lot and he should fall along with that lot.
          Out of curiosity could you elaborate on this? Is it an anti-immigration position taken too far?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

            Not sure this means a whole lot. The CPAC straw poll in advance of the 2008 election came up like this:

            In 2007, former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney etched out a win over former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani by a margin of 21 percent to 17 percent. Sen. John McCain, who wound up winning the nomination, came in fifth with 12 percent of the vote. In 2008, Romney won again, narrowly beating John McCain, 35 percent to 34 percent, even though Romney had officially dropped out of the race a few days before the poll was released.
            Meanwhile, last year's poll looked like this:

            Mitt Romney - 20 percent
            Bobby Jindal - 14 percent
            Ron Paul -13 percent
            Sarah Palin - 13 percent
            Newt Gingrich -10 percent
            Mike Huckabee - 7 percent
            Mark Sanford - 4 percent
            Rudy Guiliani - 3 percent
            Tim Pawlenty - 2 percent
            Charlie Crist - 1 percent
            Undecided - 9 percent
            And this year's results:

            2010 CPAC Straw Poll Results
            Ron Paul 31%
            Mitt Romney 22%
            Sarah Palin 7%
            Tim Pawlenty 6%
            Mike Pence 5%
            Newt Gingrich 4%
            Mike Huckabee 4%
            Mitch Daniels 2%
            John Thune 2%
            Rick Santorum 2%
            Haley Barbour 1%
            Bobby Jindal's face must be on a milk carton. That reaction speech was bad, but was it that bad?

            It's always kinda funny to see all these conservative kids wandering around DC. Fish out of water, lots of 'em.
            Last edited by blockski; 02-20-2010, 09:06 PM.
            "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

            Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

            http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

            my other blog

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

              Originally posted by blockski View Post
              It's always kinda funny to see all these conservative kids wandering around DC. Fish out of water, lots of 'em.
              Do you live in that neighborhood? I don't know where they held this thing so I'm just curious because I know its not something I'd seek out.
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

              Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey


              NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                Originally posted by Patman View Post
                Do you live in that neighborhood? I don't know where they held this thing so I'm just curious because I know its not something I'd seek out.
                No, I don't live over there. They're up at the Woodley Wardman hotel complex in Woodley Park (those hotels are absolutely massive if you've ever been inside), but I ran into a bunch of kids out on the Metro last night that were heading to some sort of party/event at the RNC or NRCC near the Capitol South metro station.

                Glad they're rolling on public transportation.
                "...the great state University of Wisconsin should ever encourage that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."

                Wisconsin '05 Michigan '07

                http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

                my other blog

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                  Originally posted by blockski View Post
                  No, I don't live over there. They're up at the Woodley Wardman hotel complex in Woodley Park (those hotels are absolutely massive if you've ever been inside), but I ran into a bunch of kids out on the Metro last night that were heading to some sort of party/event at the RNC or NRCC near the Capitol South metro station.

                  Glad they're rolling on public transportation.
                  I saw one guy on the subway Thursday night and so that's my limit of blending of national politics and real life this week.

                  The blending always seems to come up in weird ways... my first weekend of my 2nd tour had all the Tea Partiers clogging up the Orange Line into the city (I needed groceries). A few weeks ago some teenaged anti-abortion protester couldn't grasp the idea that she probably shouldn't carry a drink on the subway and hold a poster at the same item. Thankfully she didn't lose that drink.

                  Funny i haven't run into anything from the left-o-sphere yet. I'm sure that's just a matter of time though.
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                  Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey


                  NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                    I don't think you can call Ron Paul a favorite for the nomination, but I think it is interesting to show the direction of the Party.

                    From years and years of "next in line" and candidates like McCain, and last year's 1/2 Romney and Jindal, who are really "Chamber of Commerce" Republicans, that the Social Conservative and Extreme Libertarian tea party wing of the party seems to be gaining IMMENSE influence.

                    While it is probably smart politics for the Republicans to channel and co-opt Tea Party anger and activism for the midterms, at some point they are going to have to exert some control. You can't run a presidential campaign on the "THE CIA IS GOING TO PUT MICROCHIPS IN YOUR BRAIN!!!" platform. This is nearing the point that the Tea Partiers are going to have a hard time lining up behind Romney or whatever "establishment" candidate ends up getting the nomination.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                      Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      I don't think you can call Ron Paul a favorite for the nomination, but I think it is interesting to show the direction of the Party.

                      From years and years of "next in line" and candidates like McCain, and last year's 1/2 Romney and Jindal, who are really "Chamber of Commerce" Republicans, that the Social and Extreme Libertarian tea party wing of the party seems to be gaining IMMENSE influence.

                      While it is probably smart politics for the Republicans to channel and co-opt Tea Party anger and activism for the midterms, at some point they are going to have to exert some control. You can't run a presidential campaign on the "THE CIA IS GOING TO PUT MICROCHIPS IN YOUR BRAIN!!!" platform. This is nearing the point that the Tea Partiers are going to have a hard time lining up behind Romney or whatever "establishment" candidate ends up getting the nomination.
                      I think the whole tea party thing is that its a bunch of people who are running out of those they feel they can trust to represent them. The Tea Party types don't seem to fall in line behind Paul who himself represents an economic movement that most of them don't understand (due to lack of exposure and not the ability to comprehend)... as it is those who fall behind Paul only grasp onto a limited set of Paul's ideals and they find themselves largely trying to accommodate themselves to the rest of his opinions (econ theory).

                      The last few months haven't shown much of a social con influence but they are lurking beneath the surface... and they will surface because they'll demand attention. The social-con is the 3rd rail right now especially when econ-con is such an incredibly winning position and for **** good reason. The "tea party" movement isn't really rooted in social conservatism which is why you saw the Massachusetts effect... nobody in Mass is going to rally to an evangelical's desire to bring Christ's will to a nation but they'll rally behind a cause when they feel that the economy and state of the nation is at stake.

                      IMO, even CPAC seemed to be on the whole non-religious bent. I really hope those types remain on the sidelines because there really is so much at stake beyond Christian moralism.
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

                      Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey


                      NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                        I wonder if the CPAC folks remember Paul's past support for stem cell research, and at least grudging acceptance of gay marriage.
                        "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." -Thomas Jefferson

                        "I confess I enjoy democracy immensely. It is incomparably idiotic, and hence incomparably amusing." -H. L. Mencken

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                          Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                          I wonder if the CPAC folks remember Paul's past support for stem cell research, and at least grudging acceptance of gay marriage.
                          Wouldn't they have to be worried about Romney as well who seems to flip flop more than Kerry depending on the electorate he's pandering too. Some of the social conservative true believers probably have doubts about him as well and the Mormonism thing won't help.

                          Its unfortunate because the Mitt "Massachusetts" Romney was someone I would've been happy to vote for.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                            Originally posted by ScottM View Post
                            I wonder if the CPAC folks remember Paul's past support for stem cell research, and at least grudging acceptance of gay marriage.
                            A lot of his positions get distorted in this way. He doesn't need to "accept" or "reject" gay marriage. The Constitution does not give Congress the authority to ban it or to pass the DoMA, so he's against those things.
                            Like him or no (and there are reasons not to) all his positions are firmly based in the Constitution.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Ron Paul wins CPAC Straw Poll

                              Originally posted by WeWantMore View Post
                              A lot of his positions get distorted in this way. He doesn't need to "accept" or "reject" gay marriage. The Constitution does not give Congress the authority to ban it or to pass the DoMA, so he's against those things.
                              Like him or no (and there are reasons not to) all his positions are firmly based in the Constitution.
                              You realize language like this is basically a red flag in any argument that there are probably plenty of reasons not to like the man. Beware anyone who starts there argument with "It goes without saying...", cause it usually doesn't.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X