Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Warming -- 4th Edition: Carbonated Planet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming -- 4th Edition: Carbonated Planet.

One more tiny step in the march toward sustainable, low emission energy: link.

Not that I expect this to happen, but at least they're still fighting the fight.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Re: Global Warming -- 4th Edition: Carbonated Planet.

Beer is carbonated.

OMFG! I'm killing the planet twice as fast!!!
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?t=87954
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Leading climate change scientist reverses course

"There has been no temperature increase for 15 years."
        "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post

I blame Bush. And, uh, Clinton.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            One more tiny step in the march toward sustainable, low emission energy: link.

Not that I expect this to happen, but at least they're still fighting the fight.
            finally... a worthwhile use of taxpayer funds (did I just say that?)
            btw, as indicated, the accepted term is now "climate change".
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

So you were with this guy then when he claimed the opposite?

Comment

Nicely editorialized, but the scientist himself would disagree with the quote you attribute to him (and as far as I can tell he never actually said that). In fact, if I wanted to editorialize in the same way, I'd just use his actual words: "I'm 100% confident that the climate has warmed." However, I think the data and his actual responses are far more interesting, so here are some relevant passages.

First, from the article you linked:

He also agreed that there had been two periods which experienced similar warming, from 1910 to 1940 and from 1975 to 1998, but said these could be explained by natural phenomena whereas more recent warming could not.
                He further admitted that in the last 15 years there had been no ‘statistically significant’ warming, although he argued this was a blip rather than the long-term trend.
                Emphasis mine. Note the caveats, because they're important and based on a lot of work, which you can see in his full responses.

From the actual interview with the BBC:

A - Do you agree that according to the global temperature record used by the IPCC, the rates of global warming from 1860-1880, 1910-1940 and 1975-1998 were identical?

An initial point to make is that in the responses to these questions I've assumed that when you talk about the global temperature record, you mean the record that combines the estimates from land regions with those from the marine regions of the world. CRU produces the land component, with the Met Office Hadley Centre producing the marine component.
                Temperature data for the period 1860-1880 are more uncertain, because of sparser coverage, than for later periods in the 20th Century. The 1860-1880 period is also only 21 years in length. As for the two periods 1910-40 and 1975-1998 the warming rates are not statistically significantly different (see numbers below).
                I have also included the trend over the period 1975 to 2009, which has a very similar trend to the period 1975-1998.
                So, in answer to the question, the warming rates for all 4 periods are similar and not statistically significantly different from each other.
                Here are the trends and significances for each period:
                Period Length Trend
                (Degrees C per decade) Significance
                1860-1880 21 0.163 Yes
                1910-1940 31 0.15 Yes
                1975-1998 24 0.166 Yes
                1975-2009 35 0.161 Yes

B - Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming

Yes, but only just. I also calculated the trend for the period 1995 to 2009. This trend (0.12C per decade) is positive, but not significant at the 95% significance level. The positive trend is quite close to the significance level. Achieving statistical significance in scientific terms is much more likely for longer periods, and much less likely for shorter periods.

C - Do you agree that from January 2002 to the present there has been statistically significant global cooling?

No. This period is even shorter than 1995-2009. The trend this time is negative (-0.12C per decade), but this trend is not statistically significant.

D - Do you agree that natural influences could have contributed significantly to the global warming observed from 1975-1998, and, if so, please could you specify each natural influence and express its radiative forcing over the period in Watts per square metre.

This area is slightly outside my area of expertise. When considering changes over this period we need to consider all possible factors (so human and natural influences as well as natural internal variability of the climate system). Natural influences (from volcanoes and the Sun) over this period could have contributed to the change over this period. Volcanic influences from the two large eruptions (El Chichon in 1982 and Pinatubo in 1991) would exert a negative influence. Solar influence was about flat over this period. Combining only these two natural influences, therefore, we might have expected some cooling over this period.

E - How confident are you that warming has taken place and that humans are mainly responsible?

I'm 100% confident that the climate has warmed. As to the second question, I would go along with IPCC Chapter 9 - there's evidence that most of the warming since the 1950s is due to human activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  Are you with him now?

See what I did there?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Are you with him now?

See what I did there?
                    I see what you tried there, but I wasn't ever, "with him" in the first place so it's a disengenuous question. Conversely it's rather convenient for MinnFan to cite the guy as an expert now when you know he would never have before. Of course it's interesting after reading Poco's post that this scientist doesn't seem to have provided the, "smoking gun" MinnFan thought he had.
                    Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-16-2010, 04:08 AM.

Comment

"Hey, let's stick the thermometers next to waste incinerators!"
                      The "scientific method".
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        This has been known for a long time. When I was at Arizona State in the late 80s, a number of the climatologists in the geography department openly talked about this and even published papers about contamination of the data.
                        Originally posted by Priceless
                        Good to see you're so reasonable.
                        Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
                        Very well, said.
                        Originally posted by Rover
                        A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Nope. I'm simply pointing out how faulty the data everyone has taken as gospel is. I'm glad to see him change his opinion on this and I think that it proves that further (open) study needs to be done before this can be considered settled science and have our economy taken apart.
                          "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

I'm glad to see him change his opinion on this.....
                            http://board.uscho.com/showpost.php?...02&postcount=8
                            Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-16-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Yawn.

Pointed out the obvious in thread one and the greenhouse heads continue with the theatrics.

Too bad all the "science" citations ended up as BS (as was pointed out many moons ago, of course).
                              "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government"...Thomas Jefferson
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X