Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Warming -- 4th Edition: Carbonated Planet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global Warming -- 4th Edition: Carbonated Planet.

"Green" consumers more likely to be crooks

Thought this was spot on
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." - Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Originally posted by MinnFan View Post
      Did you read the actual paper? Basically it finds that people who buy green are human. The whole premise was based on existing work that shows that people who feel they do "good" are then more likely to do "bad". Maybe we need a "People who give to charity are a-holes" post too.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        Did you read the actual paper? Basically it finds that people who buy green are human. The whole premise was based on existing work that shows that people who feel they do "good" are then more likely to do "bad". Maybe we need a "People who give to charity are a-holes" post too.
        Of course not. Fox News told him how to think and he did. He's a good robot.

Good thing global warming's not real, otherwise it may have been 60 and sunny here on the Maine coast in March...

Comment

its sunny and 60's in the Keys. I'm betting the glacier wins.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Why is it the climate change deniers are quick to point out weather forecasts when it's snowing in December, but there's not a peep out of them when it's 75 in Maine on the first Sunday in April?

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              Why is it the climate change deniers are quick to point out weather forecasts when it's snowing in December, but there's not a peep out of them when it's 75 in Maine on the first Sunday in April?
              duh. It's Bush's fault. It's your job to point that out.
              btw, what are the Gaiaists (sp?) saying about Obama's "drill baby drill" approach out east?
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

drilling could take place 30 miles off the gulfstream. a spill would be catastrophic killing the reef along the Florida Keys.

uh. why are the warmers eager to point out the warm summers of the '90s and not a peep out of them when there is frost in the Everglades. cuts both ways. people who think weather is climate are misguided.
                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

This will help with warming for a while.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

And huskyfan, yes they are, but irony remains fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxton View Post
                    This will help with warming for a while.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano

And huskyfan, yes they are, but irony remains fun.
                    I blame Bjork.
                    Cornell University Men's Hockey
                    NCAA Champions: 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champions: 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010, 2024
                    Ivy League Champions: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      duh. It's Bush's fault. It's your job to point that out.
                      btw, what are the Gaiaists (sp?) saying about Obama's "drill baby drill" approach out east?
                      Back east.

The East is the source of all things.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy82 View Post
                        Back east.

The East is the source of all things.

Correct. It is "back east," "out west," "up north," and "way down south."
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                          drilling could take place 30 miles off the gulfstream. a spill would be catastrophic killing the reef along the Florida Keys.

uh. why are the warmers eager to point out the warm summers of the '90s and not a peep out of them when there is frost in the Everglades. cuts both ways. people who think weather is climate are misguided.
                          Aren't the Chicoms drilling (or going to) on the Cuba side of the Florida strait??
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Just to stir the pot a little: WaPo commentary.

I 100% agree with his comments on solar and wind - horrible ideas economically and ecologically. I'm not as pessimistic about electric cars, though. Eventually (50, 100 years?) we'll have to go that route, because our choices will be to go electric (charged via the utilities' fuel of choice: coal, fission, or, optimistically - fusion) or go biofuel, and I just can't see biofuel winning that fight.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Just to stir the pot a little: WaPo commentary.

I 100% agree with his comments on solar and wind - horrible ideas economically and ecologically. I'm not as pessimistic about electric cars, though. Eventually (50, 100 years?) we'll have to go that route, because our choices will be to go electric (charged via the utilities' fuel of choice: coal, fission, or, optimistically - fusion) or go biofuel, and I just can't see biofuel winning that fight.
                              Even though they are not economically viable at the present moment, both solar and biofuels are the most likely to be commercially successful in the near to mid future (10-15 years).

Solar is approaching the break even point and huge advancements are being made every year. Within the next 10 years I'm guessing the threshold will be crossed and it will be economically viable. Same with biofuels, specifically switchgrass- or algae-based ethanol. Any food-based ethanol will simply will not work.

Fusion is probably 20-35 years away from being successful on a large scale within a test plant, and even that is probably optimistic. Even then, it's probably another 30+ years (after the test plant is successful) from being used as a source of energy to the general public. 55 years from now I'm sure solar will be a much larger fraction of the energy production within the US. Probably between 5-10%.

I honestly don't see electric cars becoming the norm within the US in the next 50 years. They might be far more common within a 25-year window but fossil fuels are simply too cheap.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Even though they are not economically viable at the present moment, both solar and biofuels are the most likely to be commercially successful in the near to mid future (10-15 years).
                                Only if you pencil whip the numbers within an inch of their lives, and compare apples to oranges. Yes, a home-owner installed system that provides much of his electricity for personal use at his own home in Arizona MAY break even economically within 10-15 years when compared with the cost of commercially available electricity. And if we really stretch, then a hyper-efficient solar plant installed in the Southwestern US may be able to put some electricity onto the grid for the same cost per kilowatt hour as a gas/coal plant. But that's not the same thing as saying that solar energy can really compete economically with other fuels at a commercial level on a nationwide basis. There is just not enough sun in most of the US to even consider it a possibility. It. is. not. going. to. happen. Same thing with wind - locally, where the wind blows and when the wind blows, maybe it can break even. But as a nationwide replacement? Non-starter.

I honestly don't see electric cars becoming the norm within the US in the next 50 years. They might be far more common within a 25-year window but fossil fuels are simply too cheap.
                                Yes, you are absolutely correct - today. That's why I set my threshold at 50-100 years. Fossil fuels will not always be this cheap, and soon we'll be down to coal and gas, which are not nearly as convenient for portable power. At that point, electrics will get a huge boost (out of necessity) - liquefied fuel from coal or gas could provide a stop gap, but in 100, 200 years, everything will be electric. What say we meet back here in 2210 to settle it?
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X