Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home theater in the apartment

Originally posted by IronMonkee View Post
    Can you find studs in your wall? Can you convince one other person to help you lift up the TV? If the answer to both of those things is yes, you don't need to pay someone to install it.

Actually, your TV stand had the mount right? You don't even need a stud finder. They're not that heavy, unless you're going for something obscene like a 60" one. As long as you have one friend, you should be okay.
    yeah, I don't know anybody in my building yet*... I'm going back and forth between 54" and 58" so I'll be in that territory. It'll be 100 pounds. Wall installation is against the lease... I actually think it'll be a snap... some things screw into the TV itself... then its a matter of sliding it onto the back support of the TV stand and locking the final screws into place to hold it in place.

*Not really true but its complicated.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Just bumping this up... I've purchased all the major components... Panasonic 54" TV, cinema 70 ct system, and Marantz NR1501 Slim Line Receiver. I think the rest of it is going to come down to wiring and/or hiding wires.

Just like to thank you guys in general. I think I'm probably not done but I'll have to wait until the components come in.

I suppose my not 100% researching this question... these should come with some sort of wire so that i can at least plug it all in before i get into the issue of working over distances, correct?
      Last edited by Patman; 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM. Reason: forgot a key "not" modifier

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Do you mean like speaker wire and RCA, component or digital optical cables for connecting the components? Then, no, you'll need to buy some.

If you're just looking to get it set up, and then decide where you'll be placing the pieces later, and figuring out how long the cables will need to be to get to those spots, then just head to Radio Shack and pick up the cheapest connection cables you'll need to get it up and running. Cheap speaker wire, RCA cables instead of coax, component, optical or HDMI.

Then at least you'll be able to use the system while you get the placement sorted out, and then buy higher quality connectors in the required length.

Good call on the Marantz, they sound wonderful. Warm and smooth, not harsh at all. Should be a good complement to the Paradigm Cinema speakers.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Do you mean like speaker wire and RCA, component or digital optical cables for connecting the components? Then, no, you'll need to buy some.

If you're just looking to get it set up, and then decide where you'll be placing the pieces later, and figuring out how long the cables will need to be to get to those spots, then just head to Radio Shack and pick up the cheapest connection cables you'll need to get it up and running. Cheap speaker wire, RCA cables instead of coax, component, optical or HDMI.

Then at least you'll be able to use the system while you get the placement sorted out, and then buy higher quality connectors in the required length.

Good call on the Marantz, they sound wonderful. Warm and smooth, not harsh at all. Should be a good complement to the Paradigm Cinema speakers.
          I just want to know if i have what i need out of the box to test the equipment to make sure it all works.

to be honest i have no idea what its all going to sound like. I think the next task is to figure out the wiring and how to get that all together... i know you guys have posted some links. I'll follow through on those... I've got some speaker stands i'm looking at... with the idea that I'm assuming wall screws are prohibited but nails are not.

Should major left/right speakers be at the same height?

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Ideally, they should, but it's not gonna be the end of the worl if they're not.

Either with the receiver, or the DVD player, they may have included a cheap set of RCA cables, but that would just connect the DVD player to the reciever. You'll still need cables to connect your satellite/cable box to the receiver, and from the receiver to the TV. Also, any cassette decks, cd players, or even *gasp* VCRs you connect will need cables.

And also speaker cable from receiver to all five speakers, and RCA cable from the sub output on the receiver to the sub.

Like I said, for now, you can just use the cheapest RCA cables from Rat Shack or Walmart. Then again, those cables from the monoprice site linked to earlier might even be cheaper than that. Later on, you'll want DVD and cable/satellite to the receiver and then out to the TV with HDMI cables, or at least component for the video and optical or coaxial digital for the audio. Likewise, cd players can connect with optical digital.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

alright... hopefully the last post... all the parts are due to arrive in the next two days. Of course I still don't have any wires yet. Are there any guides in regards to doing the wires up? I figure I'm going to need a couple of long lengths and I'm not really in the mood to spend $50+ per wire.

I've tried digging a bit... preparing the wires and getting a few banana clips seems to make the most sense. I don't think I have any wire cutters but i haven't checked my tool box.

Just looking for a little more information. I did go to radio shack today to check things out... I decided not to buy anything since I figured it was going to cost too much for testing wires but I didn't think it through in that i probably only need one wire to test them each individually

Skating Friar Jersey

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                ...cinema 70 ct system, and Marantz NR1501 Slim Line Receiver...
                I don't think you'll be disappointed with your choices. I have Paradigm speakers with a Marantz receiver as well...simply blows my mind. My setup:

Da-Lite Deluxe Model B HDTV Format Screen, 106” diagonal screen
                Sanyo PLV-Z4 Wide Screen (16:9) Multimedia Projector, 3000:1 contrast ratio
                Marantz SR7500 THX Select 7.1 Surround Receiver
                Paradigm Cinema 90 CT Series 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
                Sony Blu-ray Player, BDPS-301
                Panamax Power Conditioner
                You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
                ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
                ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
                ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Working...
                X