Remembering 9/11. Never Forget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remembering 9/11. Never Forget

I am sitting here in my office in NYC, 8 years later. Luckily I was not in the office 8 years ago but at home recuperating from surgery. I watched the whole thing unfold on TV. One of my brother-in-laws worked in the World Financial Center next to the WTC. We didn't know what happened to him until he was able to get a call through at 4:30 in the afternoon. He was in the WTC during the first bombing in the 90s so he went through this twice. As soon as the first plane hit in 2001 he wasn't sticking around. He immediately got up and ran out of his office not stopping until he got to Midtown several miles north. Needless to say we went most of the day not knowing where he was. We were lucky.

Over 30 graduates and family members of my high school perished in the 2001 attack. The town I live in lost a number of people including some first responders. My nephew's best friend worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, just out of college. Nothing was ever found of him. It affected every family and person in this area and still does.

As I was walking back from lunch today past the firehouse next to the office, the trucks were out and tables for family members were setup with food and drink. That firehouse lost 10 members that morning and there is a permanent memorial to them right inside the doors that is visible every day as one goes by. 9/11 is never far from our minds here.

Just say a prayer for everyone today.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      Over 30 graduates and family members of my high school perished in the 2001 attack. The town I live in lost a number of people including some first responders. My nephew's best friend worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, just out of college. Nothing was ever found of him. It affected every family and person in this area and still does.
      I think what's lost in everything in all this is that the people who died... simply went to work one morning like they'd done countless other times. Think of your own life: when you're groggily walking into to work in the morning, sipping your coffee, would it ever occur to you that you might never leave? Of course not.

These are 3000+ lives ended, plus tens of thousands of other lives ruined or wholly changed.
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

At the office. One of the guys I worked with walked to my office and stood in the doorway with an 8x10 picture of the first tower burning. Once I realized what I was looking at, I asked him if this was a gag or real. The way he replied "Real" to me was instantly recognized as sincere.
        As the day unfolded, I went from confused and scared to very angry. What happened to our country that day will never be forgotten, nor forgiven.

Comment

The memory of where I was and what I was doing is as perfectly clear today as it sept 12. I was yakking on the phone to a friend waiting for a Sub to show up at a store in Ellsworth. He told me a plane flew into one of the towers, we thought the pilot must be out of his mind, we didn't really know any facts at the time. A few minutes later the other plane went in and we knew then that this wasn't some accident. Its still unreal thinking about it. I went home and posted on USCHO the rest of the day.

One other thing, my house is on or near the flight path into BIA, it was strange when their were no planes for several days
          Last edited by walrus; 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
            One other thing, my house is on or near the flight path into BIA, it was strange when their were no planes for several days
            I forgot about that.
            If there's a south wind, jets prepare for approach right over my house, it's not horrible, but like a train in the distance, you don't really notice it until you don't hear it. I went outside that night, and after a while I did hear a plane, but knew it was no commercial aircraft. I assumed it was a fighter patrolling out the Duluth wing or NoDak. Either way, it was actually a comforting sound.

Comment

It was my first year on faculty at Valdosta State, and I was preparing to teach a soils lab when the students came in with the news. It was an eerie lab session.

One of my coworkers was from NYC and he has a brother who works for the NYPD. He spent the entire day frantically trying to get in touch with his brother.
              sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

My most enduring memory is one of relief. I knew my family was fine, but I had a great friend (who a few years later introduced me to Mrs. UR) who lived outside Boston and was traveling frequently to see her sister in NYC. As I sat in the basement watching TV, blowing off work, I tried calling her at home but got a busy signal. I'm in tears now remembering the relief and joy I felt knowing that she was OK. If she was on the phone at home, she couldn't be on a plane!
                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  , you don't really notice it until you don't hear it. .
                  Thats exactly right. It was weird
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I watched live on tv as a plane hit the second tower. We learned a few days later a buddy was on that plane. His picture is mounted on the wall in my office, as well as one in our family room. We will never forget 9/11.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I had just finished my morning sportscasts on the Radio PA Network (PA native Ed McCaffrey had broken his leg in the Monday Night Football game) and was sipping a coffee at my desk when the images of the first tower burning came up on the TV.

As soon as the 2nd plane hit I said "Bin Laden" aloud and then watched in disbelief as the events unfolded.

When we got the word that Flight 93 had gone down I was on the way to Shanksville, armed with a cell phone, a tape recorder and some petty cash.

I spent the rest of the day at "Murtha International Airport" covering press conferences held by airport and FBI officials and filing reports for our network and a number of radio stations around the country.

Johnstown was virtually shut down, but I was able to find a hotel room, an open dollar store where I bought a change of clothes and other necessities, and a restaurant that stayed open.

The next day was a whirlwind of pressers in Shanksville. The FBI took us by bus to the crash site - nothing but a smoking hole in the ground. The site looked virtually identical when I returned a year later to cover the 1st anniversary.

One humorous note on that day of horror was watching the female TV reporters trying to dodge the cow pies as they walked through the farm fields in their heels.
                      Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                        As soon as the 2nd plane hit I said "Bin Laden" aloud and then watched in disbelief as the events unfolded.
                        With the USS Cole attack still fresh on my mind, I had a hard time understanding why I felt like I was the only person who knew it was bin Laden as soon as it became appearant that it was a terrorist attack.

Granted, I was a junior in high school at the time, so I was absolutely surrounded by idiots.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          With the USS Cole attack still fresh on my mind, I had a hard time understanding why I felt like I was the only person who knew it was bin Laden as soon as it became appearant that it was a terrorist attack.

Granted, I was a junior in high school at the time, so I was absolutely surrounded by idiots.
                          You have advanced so far, so fast, Grasshopper!
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

It was a Tuesday and I had just climbed out of the shower to get ready for work. I think I was trying to get the weather when they showed the impact. As I watched they showed the second one. As I drove to work they hit the Pentagon. I am still amazed to this day that I was the only one that was totally freaked about the Pentagon. I figured we were a goner if they worked out how to hit our nerve center.

At work we had news trickle in. Saw patients all day but hardly anyone came in that didn't have an update. Pilot Oganowski was from our town. All of us at work had someone we knew or someone one of our loved ones knew that was lost. We lost some of our patients or their family members. Someone brought a TV in on lunch so we could watch what was going on.

Since then I have seen many folks who were deeply affected, one who had been scheduled to fly and switched out, passengers who were ticketed but either switched or changed flights.

A few years ago my family flew to London and then out of Glasgow. This was the year they bombed London and then the Glasgow airport. I thought about 9/11 until I was safe through my door.

Comment

Working...
                            X