Computer question 23451s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer question 23451s

My Windows XP system keeps trying to install an update to the SQL Server. Apparently it died during the installation of the update and it keeps trying without success to install it. Can anyone recommend what to it?

I also ask what exactly is SQL Server and do I need it? Would it be simplest to just get rid of it?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: Computer question 23451s

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    My Windows XP system keeps trying to install an update to the SQL Server. Apparently it died during the installation of the update and it keeps trying without success to install it. Can anyone recommend what to it?

I also ask what exactly is SQL Server and do I need it? Would it be simplest to just get rid of it?
    It's probably part of another program. Uninstalling it without knowing what installed it would be unwise. If you can find what it was installed with I would uninstall it and then reinstall it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

If this is a machine that you use for work, SQL server may have been put on there as part of a standard drive image. In that case I would imagine it's OK to remove. Either way I've never heard of a software application installing SQL Server (assuming it's the MS one) locally on a machine. I would imagine the licensing costs would be astronomical.

I get these stupid types of errors with Outlook and I usually have success by going into the add/remove programs, double clicking Outlook, and rather than remove it, choose the "repair" option.
      Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
        If this is a machine that you use for work, SQL server may have been put on there as part of a standard drive image. In that case I would imagine it's OK to remove. Either way I've never heard of a software application installing SQL Server (assuming it's the MS one) locally on a machine. I would imagine the licensing costs would be astronomical.

I get these stupid types of errors with Outlook and I usually have success by going into the add/remove programs, double clicking Outlook, and rather than remove it, choose the "repair" option.
        We have a couple of software suites at work that use it (bentley autoplant and some allen bradley tools). There are plenty of other ones out there as well. Also, IIRC, access uses SQL in some instances.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's my home computer, and I don't run a server.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and there should be an option along the lines of "show windows updates". See if you can find the offending update in there and do something?

Comment

It's my home computer, and I don't run a server.
              OK. Can you 'repair' it?
              Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

OK. Can you 'repair' it?
                I am not sure what you meant. I went to Add or Remove Programs. There are four programs dealing with the MS SQL Sever. I assume I should be looking for "Microsoft SQL Server 2005". The other three are "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client", "Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)", and "Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer". Double clicking doesn't seem to do anything. Two buttons read "Change" and "Remove".

BTW, this update is KB 955706.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am not sure what you meant. I went to Add or Remove Programs. There are four programs dealing with the MS SQL Sever. I assume I should be looking for "Microsoft SQL Server 2005". The other three are "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client", "Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English)", and "Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer". Double clicking doesn't seem to do anything. Two buttons read "Change" and "Remove".

BTW, this update is KB 955706.
                  Yeah, "MS Sql Server Client" is probably the one you want. If you click to change it, it should give you the option to repair it (if the software is new enough).

Do you know what software you use on your PC that might use the database? Any professional software that might crunch a lot of data?

sigpic

Comment

You don't have to run a server to have SQL Server installed and/or required as far as i know. We don't run a SQL server on our work computers either.

Open up the run dialog and type in "services.msc" without quotes. Go through the list and see if you can find anything with SQL in it. That might give some clues as to what is using it.
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      You don't have to run a server to have SQL Server installed and/or required as far as i know. We don't run a SQL server on our work computers either.

Open up the run dialog and type in "services.msc" without quotes. Go through the list and see if you can find anything with SQL in it. That might give some clues as to what is using it.
                      There are four
                      SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) (Provides storage, processing and controlled access of data and rapid transaction processing.)
                      SQL Server Active Directory Helper (Enables integration with Active Directories.)
                      SQL Server Browser (Provides SQL Server connection information to client computers.)
                      SQL Server VSS Writer (Provides the interface to backup/restore Microsoft SQL server through the Windows VSS infrastructure.)

I guess that it is important.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Yeah, "MS Sql Server Client" is probably the one you want. If you click to change it, it should give you the option to repair it (if the software is new enough).

Do you know what software you use on your PC that might use the database? Any professional software that might crunch a lot of data?
                        I do have an old copy of MATLAB. I haven't used it for a while since I only used it when I did work from my job at home. Now I have a work laptop that I use for that purpose.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I do have a copy of an old copy MATLAB. I haven't used it for a while since I only used it when I did work from my job at home. Now I have a work laptop that I use for that purpose.
                          That could definitely be it.

Not sure the first in the list is for small business applications (MS Small Business could be an office suite IIRC)

The second in the list is for active directories which are usually part of a server structure. If you don't have a server that's probably not the case.

I'm not familiar with the last two.
                          Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            That could definitely be it.

Not sure the first in the list is for small business applications (MS Small Business could be an office suite IIRC)

The second in the list is for active directories which are usually part of a server structure. If you don't have a server that's probably not the case.

I'm not familiar with the last two.
                            If that is the only purpose, would it disappear if I removed MATLAB? I could install a new version it if I want to.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If that is the only purpose, would it disappear if I removed MATLAB? I could install a new version it if I want to.
                              If it was only for matlab, it would likely disappear when you installed it.

There is one way to check to see if they affect anything. you can try disabling the four SQL Svr entities by right clicking on them and hitting properties. You should see a dropdown window about 2/3 of the way down that says automatic or manual. Change that to disabled for all four and restart your computer. If you don't notice any problems with your programs over the next few days or so I'd say it's probably not affecting much and uninstall it. Once something pops up and says, oh wait, I needed SQL to work you can probably get by with reinstalling that program.
                              Code:

Comment

Working...
                              X