X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mwade
    replied
    Re: Help w/ External Drive problem

I wound up opening it (and it will even close again) before going to bed this morning. When you open one up, the mini USB thing is part of a tiny green thing (I don't know what you call the doohickeys that have all the little dots and stuff like a motherboard) which after peeling back the foil I was able to detach and I was able to get the files. Need to find out if it is replaceable since the enclosure and the drive are still usable if a new piece can be found.

Leave a comment:

• Zudnic
    replied
    Re: Help w/ External Drive problem

Based on your description it appears that you are only trying to connect it while your computer is booting. I would have your PC up and running, then plug it in, just to see what happens.

I really don't see any harm in pulling it open and trying a different enclosure, but I would google it first to make sure there's nothing proprietary that WD does that might break the thing.

Leave a comment:

• mwade
    started a topic Help w/ External Drive problem

Help w/ External Drive problem

WD Passport drive. Had forever; had no problems w/ it at the game earlier. Plugged it into desktop as it was coming up and it froze at Windows Starting after a couple shut down/start up tries I unplugged it and my computer immediately started up properly. Tried changing USB ports, changing USB cords. Not recognized (when looking at the device stuff, it doesn't show any problems - but this doesn't show up at all). Tried it on my laptop - same story. Successfully plugged in a different WD Passport drive.

HELP!!!! Luckily it only has 2 games on it - Thursday's Plymouth State at Salem State and tonight's BC at Lowell, but I want my files!

Oh, and it is "running". The light comes on and I can feel it humming away - I assume the issue is with whatever does the actual connecting. Should I just attempt to pry it apart? They are tiny - will it be a 2.5 drive inside? I have a doohickey I can use to hook up the drive if so.

Thanks.
Working...
X