Help w/ External Drive problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ External Drive problem

WD Passport drive. Had forever; had no problems w/ it at the game earlier. Plugged it into desktop as it was coming up and it froze at Windows Starting after a couple shut down/start up tries I unplugged it and my computer immediately started up properly. Tried changing USB ports, changing USB cords. Not recognized (when looking at the device stuff, it doesn't show any problems - but this doesn't show up at all). Tried it on my laptop - same story. Successfully plugged in a different WD Passport drive.

HELP!!!! Luckily it only has 2 games on it - Thursday's Plymouth State at Salem State and tonight's BC at Lowell, but I want my files!

Oh, and it is "running". The light comes on and I can feel it humming away - I assume the issue is with whatever does the actual connecting. Should I just attempt to pry it apart? They are tiny - will it be a 2.5 drive inside? I have a doohickey I can use to hook up the drive if so.

Thanks.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
    HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
    HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Re: Help w/ External Drive problem

Based on your description it appears that you are only trying to connect it while your computer is booting. I would have your PC up and running, then plug it in, just to see what happens.

I really don't see any harm in pulling it open and trying a different enclosure, but I would google it first to make sure there's nothing proprietary that WD does that might break the thing.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey ยป "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Re: Help w/ External Drive problem

I wound up opening it (and it will even close again) before going to bed this morning. When you open one up, the mini USB thing is part of a tiny green thing (I don't know what you call the doohickeys that have all the little dots and stuff like a motherboard) which after peeling back the foil I was able to detach and I was able to get the files. Need to find out if it is replaceable since the enclosure and the drive are still usable if a new piece can be found.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
      HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
      HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Working...
      X