No announcement yet.

Home Improvement - Undoing Previous Owners "Landlord" Specials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve used Wet and Forget before. Got that on sale at Costco the last couple years and it works great. Just spray it on and the only other work is wetting grass or plants that may have gotten residual spray.

Just saw something similar last night at another store for a third of the price but that one you had to wet, then spray, then wet again. Not like those steps are a huge strain to do, but it makes me wonder what the difference in the products are where one says to spray on as dry of day as possible and leaving it and the other needs to be put on a wet surface and then washed away soon after.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Praying my AC survives this week (and summer) with the heat expected.

Had an HVAC company out to clean and service it last Friday. Was told that there was potentially some airflow issues at the blower motor that could mean I'm nearing end of life with it. But everything else was good with it they claimed.

Today was it's first real test and since Noon it's been struggling to maintain 70 degrees in a 1k Sq ft home (Nest says it just cracked 73 in the house, and its sunny 92, feels like 98 out).

Current system is a hydro-heat system with a "traditional" forced air blower and AC system, but for the heat it takes my hot water from the HWHeater and circulates it in the furnace. Made by the now defunct Apollo corporation. HVAC company says there are two companies who make replacement systems otherwise I'm looking at spending a lot of cash on installing a traditional forced air furnace/ac system with new duct runs.

Oh, and that's the other "perk" of the energy efficiency features of my home, no duct work. The existing Apollo blower blows into wood framed channels that act as the duct work.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

If it's just the blower motor, that should be like $500-$600. I know people who do that themselves for cheaper. Unless I'm missing something here.

if your blower motor is struggling, get the cheapest air filter you can find and use that instead of the ultra filters. Use a dedicated HEPA unit if you want to clean the air. The filter should keep the big junk off the coils.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I'd be interested.
          We used 30 seconds Outdoor Cleaner

https://www.homedepot.com/p/30-Secon...9523/202591276

CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

We used 30 seconds Outdoor Cleaner

https://www.homedepot.com/p/30-Secon...9523/202591276
            That’s the one I see compared most to Wet and Forget. And right now is about half the price of W&F, might have to try that out.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Welp, I think the AC finally died. I mistyped earlier, the airflow blockage was a partial blockage in the loop from evaporator loop inside to the condenser outside. Tech said last week that if it held, it would struggle but should maintain somewhere between 70 and 75.

It's 10pm and it's 78 in my house and the AC has been running for 18 hours today. Temp coming from the vents has been 70 since I got home at 6. Nothing is frozen up. It's just not working.

I was hoping the night air would help get the house cool and maybe bring the AC back down but its still 91 degrees outside. This is frustrating.

*edit* The company that came to service the AC put a quote together for me for the replacement of the entire system. 9k out the door with labor. Quickest I can get them out is next Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
              Last edited by aparch; 06-17-2024, 10:35 PM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Standing water in the listing pics. Perhaps the most accurate Miami listing ever

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Comment

Got invited to Nextdoor. Don’t have a real interest in joining, but I am curious what type of drama is on there given the quietness of the neighborhood.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

I recently sold house and moved, but my former neighborhood had a house that was built new and listed for a veeeerrrry high amount. Then it was removed from mls

figured out why - can’t be listed before a spread.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...nesota-getaway

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I recently sold house and moved, but my former neighborhood had a house that was built new and listed for a veeeerrrry high amount. Then it was removed from mls

figured out why - can’t be listed before a spread.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...nesota-getaway
                      Jesus Christ that family photo is something out of Lebensborn.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        Jesus Christ that family photo is something out of Lebensborn.
                        They know a lot about that at NoDak!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

They know a lot about that at NoDak!
                          Zing! Sometimes the jokes write themselves

Comment

I’ve been having HVAC issues, specifically, my house hasn’t been cooling down. I started with the basics, cleaning the A/C coils on the external unit, then replacing my air filter to ensure no airflow blockages. While things are better, all is not resolved. The thermostat, an Ecobee that was installed when I bought the house, is located in a hallway that has no venting and I think the lack of airflow is causing it to not register the same as the rest of the house. While the location of the thermostat makes sense, centrally located away from windows, the other side of the wall upon which it’s mounted is the stove/oven.

I’ve started aiming a floor fan at the thermostat, and I think that’s helping get the temp read the same as the actual temperature of the house. It’s frustrating because the internal portion of the a/c froze over, I think, and the condenser is flooding the tray that moves the water to the drain, so towels are employed to sop up the spillage.

Im looking to get some thermometers to place around the house. We keep one in my daughter’s room so we could track from when she was a baby, and it seems like the best option vs. paying $80 for a pair of ecobee satellite thermometers.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              I’ve been having HVAC issues, specifically, my house hasn’t been cooling down. I started with the basics, cleaning the A/C coils on the external unit, then replacing my air filter to ensure no airflow blockages. While things are better, all is not resolved. The thermostat, an Ecobee that was installed when I bought the house, is located in a hallway that has no venting and I think the lack of airflow is causing it to not register the same as the rest of the house. While the location of the thermostat makes sense, centrally located away from windows, the other side of the wall upon which it’s mounted is the stove/oven.

I’ve started aiming a floor fan at the thermostat, and I think that’s helping get the temp read the same as the actual temperature of the house. It’s frustrating because the internal portion of the a/c froze over, I think, and the condenser is flooding the tray that moves the water to the drain, so towels are employed to sop up the spillage.

Im looking to get some thermometers to place around the house. We keep one in my daughter’s room so we could track from when she was a baby, and it seems like the best option vs. paying $80 for a pair of ecobee satellite thermometers.
                              I bit the bullet and slowly added more sensors. They're in the offices, bedroom, and living rooms. It's worth it. They've saved me more than I spent on them.

Also worth looking at schedules and set temps. My AC runs from like 10 PM until 2-3 AM but then doesn't run again.

also worth mentioning that the thermostat itself is known to have fairly large accuracy in certain installs. It's why the sensors are worth the cost.

the oven wall thing will absolute cause a huge difference. The sensor on the other side of the wall from the oven sees huge swings compared to ones even in the same general area as the oven itself (same room).

I think you might have an issue with the drain as you mentioned. It should be drained directly from the coil to the drain with a trap near, but below the coil.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                              X