Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swansong
    replied
    Yeah, that would be grading, any trenches, dry wells, etc. And there are two areas - one of them has some kind of power buried and also my irrigation system lines. The other is under a big stone patio and also needs to cross irrigation lines. Neither are simple. And this is a very old neighborhood so who knows what else is buried.

Gutter replacement quote was about $3000 alone.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

No way. I'm guessing 3k tops.
    He said awaiting quotes to improve drainage. I took that to mean grading, French drain, etc

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    I got quotes to replace all my gutters and am awaiting quotes to improve drainage. I'm going to guess they will combine at $10-12k, but we'll see. It sure would be nice to have a dry basement.
    No way. I'm guessing 3k tops.

Leave a comment:

• Swansong
    replied
    I got quotes to replace all my gutters and am awaiting quotes to improve drainage. I'm going to guess they will combine at $10-12k, but we'll see. It sure would be nice to have a dry basement.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    All the forecasts point to the strong possibility of a rapid switch from the El Nino winter we just had, to a La Nina summer. Apparently, the previous 6 times in recorded history that that has occurred without a transitory stop at ENSO Neutral (aka "La Nada"), Michigan has cooked in July and August.

That said, could this be the year my 25 year-old a/c condenser finally gives up the ghost? Probably should hold back/earmark some money just in case.
    Same thought process for me here on the opposite side of Lake Michigan. This summer is going to be unbearable IMO. Would love to be wrong about it.

So glad my wife has rejoined the working world (what a struggle that has been) so we can squirrel away savings.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    All the forecasts point to the strong possibility of a rapid switch from the El Nino winter we just had, to a La Nina summer. Apparently, the previous 6 times in recorded history that that has occurred without a transitory stop at ENSO Neutral (aka "La Nada"), Michigan has cooked in July and August.

That said, could this be the year my 25 year-old a/c condenser finally gives up the ghost? Probably should hold back/earmark some money just in case.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    I’ve not had great luck with this whole home sale thing.

We are now forecast to get three inches of rain this upcoming weekend. That’s over a months worth of rain in a few days. That’s after we got two inches in one day last week.

this is why I don’t want to own a home again. I am almost expecting water to finally breach basement now that house is for sale. What’s another 30k or so to drop on house while it’s for sale ???

sadly I think these events are just gonna be common up here. Were no longer in a draught we’re gonna be in a surplus it looks like

oh my god it’s now forecast for close to 4 inches
    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 04-23-2024, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

The usage charge on a TOU rate isn't going to be the killer - generally the per kWh charge during peak times is similar to current standard rates or only moderately higher - the off-peak usage charge is just heavily discounted because overnight load drops so low that marginal pricing can turn negative at times (but the generation keeps going because of production tax credits).

It's the demand charge for maximum peak usage that will be killer. Random weeknight in August you get home from work and crank up the A/C, start a load of laundry and cook dinner while the kids shower (causing your tankless water heater to run), turn on a TV and a computer, etc. and your peak demand spikes. Even if every other night you space out your usage, that one spike will fark your bill for the month/quarter/year depending on the utility's tariff.
    I get that. From what I understand, it's a set rate and is NOT like Texas where it's a spot price. Off peak is like $0.05/kWh and on-peak is roughly $0.26/kWh. On-peak is only 9 AM to 9 PM on non-holiday weekdays. Off-peak is the big federal holidays, all day on weekends, and 9 PM to 9 AM on weekdays.

I don't believe we're going to a peak demand charge. I think it's purely a different rate/kWh. I could be wrong though! The meter is capable of reading peak demand.

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    The usage charge on a TOU rate isn't going to be the killer - generally the per kWh charge during peak times is similar to current standard rates or only moderately higher - the off-peak usage charge is just heavily discounted because overnight load drops so low that marginal pricing can turn negative at times (but the generation keeps going because of production tax credits).
    This is my experience with DTE's changes. The off-peak rates are actually quite a bit lower than standard, and the peak rate is only slightly higher than our previous combined rate. They have yet to announce demand-based charges, but I think it's inevitable. IT/Big Data and computing power are at the point where so-called "dynamic pricing" based on real-time demand is taking over volatile industries and markets. If there's an opportunity to nail particularly heavy power consumers during that 4-8p window, they have the means to determine who those households are, and they're going to do it.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    I absolutely get uno's point though. I explained to my wife what was coming and she had the same reaction as uno "wait so we get charged double? What if we need to do something during that time like wash kids clothes or run the dishwasher?"

It's the demand charge for maximum peak usage that will be killer. Random weeknight in August you get home from work and crank up the A/C, start a load of laundry and cook dinner while the kids shower (causing your tankless water heater to run), turn on a TV and a computer, etc. and your peak demand spikes. Even if every other night you space out your usage, that one spike will fark your bill for the month/quarter/year depending on the utility's tariff.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    My house has a chain link fence. We acquired a small dog that likes to yap. At everything. Including leafs on the ground. Worst of all is the very aggressive barking at people walking past the house, and my house is near a popular park, so it’s pretty much a parade of people with strollers and dogs.

All of that said, my wife charged me with placing a wooden facade on the front of the chain link fence, which is proving more complicated than it should be because the prior owners were minimal-effort people even when putting in some effort to the point that they placed fencing that covered about 2ft of the house instead of ending the fence with a post at the corner of the house. I think it would’ve been less work and made for a better overall end product, but more money, had I simply torn out the old fence facing the street and put in a traditional wooden fence there. I don’t know, I’m on the fence about that.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    I absolutely get uno's point though. I explained to my wife what was coming and she had the same reaction as uno "wait so we get charged double? What if we need to do something during that time like wash kids clothes or run the dishwasher?"

Leave a comment:

• FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied

They're already doing it in parts of the twin cities and good chunks of Colorado. This is the ultimate goal for Xcel as I understand it.
    DTE rolled out TOU billing in the Detroit area recently.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied

They'll never go to time of use or other demand-based rates for standard residential service unless and until electric cars become adopted by 80%+ of the population, and even then they may try to work around the car charging angle somehow. They may already offer a voluntary ToU rate for residential customers, but adoption levels for that are so miniscule currently that Iowa's second largest utility hasn't had a single residential customer opt in even though it's been in existence for at least 5 years.

You try explaining to elected officials and appointed utility commissioners that they can't run the tv, the dishwasher, and the electric range at the same time without jacking their demand charge up, especially if they've got kids. Especially if they're on electric heat, too.

Hell, I'd bet no more than 10% of officials know what a demand charge is.
    They're already doing it in parts of the twin cities and good chunks of Colorado. This is the ultimate goal for Xcel as I understand it.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied

I don't think I could convince my wife to buy into that.
    Yeah, I understand but its one of the better ways to cut energy usage in a home.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X