X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Clown
    replied
    Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    We have LiftMaster, which is pretty much Chamberlain IIRC. Our keypad started doing the same thing last autumn. I took it off and threw it out after reading that the things wear out eventually and it’s easier to replace them. We were looking into doing the more “smart” route, but realized it was going to be a hassle with our openers, which appears to have been correct given your complaints.

We ended up ordering another dumb keypad and putting an extra Wyze camera we had out there. (Had it in the kiddo’s room a while ago, received an upgraded one as a gift) All I really wanted was to be able to see that the garages are closed from inside the house anyway, and this accomplished it for very little money.
    My wife and I are thinking about doing the same with our garage. We have been using a Wyze as a baby monitor, I’m just not sure if it’s able to work in cold weather.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    We have LiftMaster, which is pretty much Chamberlain IIRC. Our keypad started doing the same thing last autumn. I took it off and threw it out after reading that the things wear out eventually and it’s easier to replace them. We were looking into doing the more “smart” route, but realized it was going to be a hassle with our openers, which appears to have been correct given your complaints.

We ended up ordering another dumb keypad and putting an extra Wyze camera we had out there. (Had it in the kiddo’s room a while ago, received an upgraded one as a gift) All I really wanted was to be able to see that the garages are closed from inside the house anyway, and this accomplished it for very little money.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    **Insert Clark W. Griswold plugging in the light strand here and Cousin Eddie flipping the switch GIF here.**

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    My "smart" garage door has been more dumb as of late than advertised. Stupid Chamberlain products. And this doesn't involve their inability to play nice with *any* home automation service.

It seems like the last few months the garage door opener is "offline" in their app every time I need it. I haven't moved the router, the opener's antenna hasn't moved, no configuration changes, and no new wireless signals that would interfere (Nest camera on same channel has no communication issues, and the garage door has lived in harmony with it for years before this).

To add insult to injury, the wireless key pad, which has also lived in harmony with my house and is NOT smart, seems to forget what its designed to do despite new batteries. It will decide on the fourth or fifth try that "oh hey, you have been putting in the right code," and open the door.

Chamberlain is just garbage.
    Last edited by aparch; 06-04-2024, 05:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    lol. Back for more. This time he didn't get stuck. Just ran.

On a related note... Ironically I can now tell when the bird feeders are empty on the deck. The motion sensor (without the sprinkler armed - it only goes off on motion between 10 pm and 4 am) stops detecting squirrels climbing the deck. Real abrupt stop to visits.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    LMAO. So I also had the porch camera record the mayhem.

Around 2 AM, a raccoon got treed underneath my deck right below the motion sensor. It continuously triggered for like 30 minutes. Eventually it came down and sped off like it was running from a chlorine trifluoride leak.

Otherwise it was just a persistent mouse that got scared off.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Raccoons have been emptying our feeders at night.

bought a motion sensor and setup an automation to turn on the impact sprinkler and shoot them. We'll see if it works.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    All the forecasts point to the strong possibility of a rapid switch from the El Nino winter we just had, to a La Nina summer. Apparently, the previous 6 times in recorded history that that has occurred without a transitory stop at ENSO Neutral (aka "La Nada"), Michigan has cooked in July and August.

That said, could this be the year my 25 year-old a/c condenser finally gives up the ghost? Probably should hold back/earmark some money just in case.
    Make sure the coils are clean and you have a replacement capacitor handy. They're cheap to buy, but your AC company will rake you over the coals to install it or try to upsell you a whole new unit. It's not that hard to replace, just make sure the right wires go on the right terminals and you've pulled/turned off the breaker.

Leave a comment:

• tyrone
    replied
    Home improvement projects can be incredibly rewarding but also a bit overwhelming at times. For me the most difficult thing was to set a budget and stick to it. Every time unexpected costs arise, so it’s always good to have a little extra set aside for emergencies. If you need assistance managing your home improvement budget or dealing with contractors, you might want to check out everee customer service. They offer great tools and support for managing payments and ensuring everything runs smoothly.
    Last edited by tyrone; 05-21-2024, 11:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• walrus
    replied
    Originally posted by alicestevens View Post
    What can you tell me about water solar panels? Are they worth it?
    been on my house since the early 90s, taken down to replace roof, went back up and have never touched them other than that reroof. Work great but I doubt a bean counter would tell you they are worth doing unless you can do it yourself.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied
    I’ve been doing landscaping the past few weeks. I’m getting old and feeling it.

We started out by tearing out the old landscaping, such as it was, and I then put into new edging - 6”x8”x4” blocks that are 30*(?) angle on the outward face to give some character. 16.5lbs for each brick, but first I did it proper by carving out some a bed deep enough to add a base of sand, and then installed the backing supports to lock it in place. Then it was adding some dirt? The 12 or new plants, and the easy bits with putting down the fabric and mulch.

Now I’m in the backyard, and I’m trying to re-tame some yard that was basically lost to the location of the old shed that I replaced with the one I built back in 2020. Reclaiming it from the weeds and rock used as the base is no bueno. Oh, and my wife wants to
    eliminate the garden that she’s been neglecting, so that’s been a thing, too.

28 years ago, when I was in college and in shape, and landscaping to pay for school, this would’ve all been a breeze. I’m not that kid anymore.

Leave a comment:

• alicestevens
    replied
    What can you tell me about water solar panels? Are they worth it?
    I've been discussing it already with the cleanchoice energy customer service and i think i am leaning to this options.
    Would love to hear from people ho have them already . What are the proc/cons etc
    Last edited by alicestevens; 05-21-2024, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post
    I want to preface this with the fact that we have been at my FIL's place helping him with medical issues more than we have been at our place this year. But we got our annual reimbursement check from the local energy generation concern for the excess electricity we have sent to the grid from our solar panels, and it is a few hundred dollars more than we have paid to PG&E for the year for gas and grid transmission. So we made money on our gas/electric for the year. Yes whenever we get back full time it our usage will of course go up, but, like, we were a few hundred in the black, so we still have quite a but of wiggle room there.
    Good that it’s both cost-effective and responsible. You live in a nicely temperate zone, depending on where in the Bay Area you live. A wide range there, but it’s all pretty temperate year-round. For solar, I suppose fog could be an issue in some areas.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    I want to preface this with the fact that we have been at my FIL's place helping him with medical issues more than we have been at our place this year. But we got our annual reimbursement check from the local energy generation concern for the excess electricity we have sent to the grid from our solar panels, and it is a few hundred dollars more than we have paid to PG&E for the year for gas and grid transmission. So we made money on our gas/electric for the year. Yes whenever we get back full time it our usage will of course go up, but, like, we were a few hundred in the black, so we still have quite a but of wiggle room there.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

He said awaiting quotes to improve drainage. I took that to mean grading, French drain, etc
    Yeah, I was going to say this was in my pre-arabica stupor but you know, the board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X