The States : red states in a race to the bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Kristin gillibrand suggests alternative to congestion prices in nyc- park your car at train stations and take a train into town.

revelatory, Kristin. Haven’t heard your worthless name in a while, she should find a different way to get her name in the news
    That's cute, she thinks there's ample parking and/or adequate trains service for commuters.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

That's cute, she thinks there's ample parking and/or adequate trains service for commuters.
      I believe whar she wanes is 20 year timeline to build parking lots near trains. As I said, revelatory and not as impactful by itself as congestion pricing

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

I served as jury foreperson once. Felony drunk driving (which meant the person had to also have a fairly recent drunk driving conviction on their record because I knew the law in the state). Guy was clearly guilty as charged, zero doubt of any kind in my mind, reasonable or otherwise. But the prosecuting attorneys did such a poor job presenting a case that had been equally poorly investigated by the Sheriff's office there was no way I was going to vote "guilty." Witnesses contradicted each other on key elements, they tried to paint the guy as having an affair on his wife (as if that had ANYTHING to do with what he was on trial for) and it was clear that at least one of the police officers testified untruthfully. No one was hurt in the accident the defendent had (well, no people, he hit and killed a doe), he just totaled his vehicle. And the kicker, one of the other jurors had lost a brother in a drunk driving accident and clearly that should have disqualified her from serving on that particular jury.

We were either 9-3 or 10-2 to convict on the first ballot before we started to discuss all the ridiculousness of this trial. The trial itself was brief, less than a full day. We deliberated for the rest of that day, maybe 90 minutes, and then all day the next day. Little by little we convinced people that in our system it isn't really just guilt that needs to drive a verdict, but did the state PROVE GUILT BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT. Eventually my side won out and we acquitted the guy.

Afterwards as some of us were waiting to get out jury pay (like $12 a day) the defendent comes over and tries to thank us for "seeing the truth." We told him to get bent, and that he was clearly guilty and needed help before he killed himself, or worse yet, someone else. We said you are basically getting a mostly undeserved second chance, and the only thing you should be doing right now is finding an AA meeting and finally admitting to yourself you were probably a hopeless drunk and its time to take responsibilty for it. I don't know if I would have felt the same way if the guy was on trial for being a mass murderer, or if he had run over kids in a crosswalk while drunk, but at the time it sure seemed like the right thing to do.
        My father was on a jury once. He said no doubt the guy committed a crime. The problem was the prosecutor was charging him with a "higher level" crime, which he clearly did not commit. After most voted guilty, my father slowly convinced everyone that they can only judge the case based on what the prosecutor is charging, and nothing else.

They eventually acquitted him. My father said, the prosecutor screwed up. They had a slam dunk case but got greedy. This is also why lawyers hate having engineers (my father was an aeronautical engineer) on a jury. They think too logical, and not emotional.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          They eventually acquitted him. My father said, the prosecutor screwed up. They had a slam dunk case but got greedy. This is also why lawyers hate having engineers (my father was an aeronautical engineer) on a jury. They think too logical, and not emotional.
          Correction, that's why prosecutors hate engineers. Defense attorneys love educated people on juries.

Comment

• https://apnews.com/article/louisiana...166d53db005a62

The Ten Commandments must be displayed in Louisiana classrooms under requirement signed into law

Borrowed from Threads:

Maybe the state ranked 46th in healthcare, 47th in education, 49th in economy, 49th in infrastructure, and 50th in crime should focus on something other than ignoring the Constitution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              https://apnews.com/article/louisiana...166d53db005a62

The Ten Commandments must be displayed in Louisiana classrooms under requirement signed into law

Borrowed from Threads:
              It’s a performative arts bill, signed because of the upcoming election. The state will lose in court, even if appealed up to this SCOTUS.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Correction, that's why prosecutors hate engineers. Defense attorneys love educated people on juries.
                Agree.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

It’s a performative arts bill, signed because of the upcoming election. The state will lose in court, even if appealed up to this SCOTUS.
                  I've no doubt it will be defeated, just pointing out the absurdity of it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Opposite worked for oj
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Michigan, per Jeff timmer:

“ MIGOP legislator (and the son of an actual honest to god Nazi) arrested in Lansing chasing a stripper while brandishing a gun”

Comment

• Yeah, that guy is a real piece of work to begin with. Mix in what I'm sure was a substantial amount of booze and those GOP "family values" go right out the window.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Michigan, per Jeff timmer:

“ MIGOP legislator (and the son of an actual honest to god Nazi) arrested in Lansing chasing a stripper while brandishing a gun”
                          if you’re gonna go, go large
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Florida real estate is a digested McD's steak egg & cheese bagel w/ black coffee just minutes from making an explosive exit.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Florida real estate is a digested McD's steak egg & cheese bagel w/ black coffee just minutes from making an explosive exit.
                              Everyone is moving to Florida!! Freedom!!!

Comment

• Yeah to me the big jump seems like a market correction from the pandemic-caused lull of 2020 and 2021, and that the "correction" is now screaming back towards "corrected". We'll see if it settles.

But the fact is, values can't continue to increase like they have been. People just can't afford it, not when interest rates are still high.

*checks 2.99% mortgage rate from 2020*
                                *smiles*
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X