Business, Economics, and Taxes: Eat Cereal for Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I'd be curious if that's more because they can't afford it or the fact that the wages of the bottom quartile have outpaced inflation and that 45k number doesn't represent the same population size anymore. In other words, can the people previously in that bucket now afford something else?

will be interesting if this is also something that impacts YUM, etc.
    People responding to survey companies ah e stated that it’s due to increased prices. McD’s went in hard on their app, so people have to use the app to get the deals. Poorer people tend to not have credit or debit cards, so using the app is less attractive.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• I'm sure some of it is people walking away....

Personally, when something is $10 in my head because it was that price for so long, it's jarring to see the same thing be $17 now... I mean, say what you want about Taco Bell's quality, but that is/was the ultimate "cheap eats"... A Beefy 5-layer burrito could be had for under $1 ($0.89 to be exact) within the last 20 years. That same item is $3.59 currently. It's quite jarring and difficult to shake established memories like this, as they are firmly accepted as "normal"...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• It's easy for stuff to be cheap when you don't pay an honest wage...
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I believe I saw that McDonald’s has a 30% profit margin.

Comment

• This is fine.

Tesla has fired its entire Supercharger division, staff who worked in the team say.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              This is fine.
              One of the Big3 was just gifted the opportunity to leapfrog everyone in the supercharging department...

*edit* I didn't see it in my skimming of the article, but apparently Space Karen canned the whole team because the head of the division pushed back on Musk for wanting to make deep cuts to her department.
              Last edited by aparch; 05-03-2024, 06:56 AM.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• He's so ****ing incompetent
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  It's easy for stuff to be cheap when you don't pay an honest wage...
                  No, I get that.

What ticks me off is that after increasing wages, companies still feel they are entitled to continue to have 5-10%+ increased in profit after absorbing the wage hits or whatever else hurts the bottom line. That's the root of all this. Can't be content making $1B in profits for a hot second. That number must be in a perpetual climb.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    *edit* I didn't see it in my skimming of the article, but apparently Space Karen canned the whole team because the head of the division pushed back on Musk for wanting to make deep cuts to her department.
                    God spoke to Elmo on his last ketamine trip and told him to fire them all.

Lots of talented engineers are about to be on the market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I believe I saw that McDonald’s has a 30% profit margin.
                      That has to be the corporation, which owns very few of the restaurants. They're just generating their revenue off of franchise fees, training fees, marketing fees, etc...

I can't believe individual franchise owners are clearing 30%, primarily because no chance the corporate office would let them do that without trying to steal some of it for themselves.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

That has to be the corporation, which owns very few of the restaurants. They're just generating their revenue off of franchise fees, training fees, marketing fees, etc...

I can't believe individual franchise owners are clearing 30%, primarily because no chance the corporate office would let them do that without trying to steal some of it for themselves.
                        McD's corporate $$$ is also tied up in real estate. Most Franchise owners lease their location from corporate.

Comment

• The McDonalds Corporation is ultimately a real estate holdings and brand licensing company. As of 2017, 70% of the restaurant buildings and 45% of the underlying land were wholly owned by the company, and leased back to their franchisees, along with the brand rights. This system has made McDonalds one of the most expensive franchised restaurants to operate, typically requiring $750k-$1m in liquid startup capital, and a total investment of $1-2m just to open a single new franchise. For comparison, you can usually open a Subway or a Jersey Mike's for about $250k.

Comment

• One thing I've always wondered about McDonald's is this. Are the prices the same everywhere in the country? Does a McDonald's hamburger in Grand Forks cost the same as one in San Francisco?
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              One thing I've always wondered about McDonald's is this. Are the prices the same everywhere in the country? Does a McDonald's hamburger in Grand Forks cost the same as one in San Francisco?
                              No. Franchisees have the ability to change their pricing. So the downtown San Francisco location can charge a higher price than the Fargo McDonalds, but both are less than the Illinois Tollway McDonald's location.

That's why all corporate advertisements specifically state " * Participating locations only," "* Prices may vary," or other legal language. Franchisees can even charge different prices across their own portfolio of stores.

As the great Mitch Hedberg once said:
                              “Every McDonald’s commercial ends the same way: Prices and participation may vary. I wanna open a McDonald’s and not participate in anything. I wanna be a stubborn McDonald’s owner. “Cheeseburgers?” “Nope! We got spaghetti, and blankets.””
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                So the downtown San Francisco location can charge a higher price than the Fargo McDonalds, but both are less than the Illinois Tollway McDonald's location.
                                Gotta love a captive consumer.

Comment

Working...
                                X