Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

https://www.morningstar.com/columns/...get-date-funds

(I have no idea, just saw this. Did they lose a small fortune because of churn? Because of fees?)
    Just had a significant amount of dividends in 1 year, which was unexpected. If you hold this in a taxable (regular) brokerage account, it likely left you with a larger than expected tax bill. If in a tax advantaged account, it would not matter. So the lesson is it is OK to hold a target date fund in a tax advantaged account, but should not hold in taxable account. There are good wiki's on bogleheads regarding asset allocation for specific accounts.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Yeah I more need to understand tax implications. I know a little about mutual funds vs ETF, things like that
      I would not have any concern holding a large amount of money in a taxable account at fidelity. Very low risk. Sitting in a money market fund is an excellent choice while you take some time to figure out what to do with the money. Far better than buying/investing in something you regret or do not understand the tax implications.
      In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
      I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

• Might just throw into 4 week t bills until I can get ahold of someone

Comment

• Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post

Just had a significant amount of dividends in 1 year, which was unexpected. If you hold this in a taxable (regular) brokerage account, it likely left you with a larger than expected tax bill. If in a tax advantaged account, it would not matter. So the lesson is it is OK to hold a target date fund in a tax advantaged account, but should not hold in taxable account. There are good wiki's on bogleheads regarding asset allocation for specific accounts.
          Boglehead is what I’ve used- I have target date fund in my 401 and then do etf in taxable.

Comment

IIRC, it was because of forced distributions. Bonds went up a **** ton in yield and prices cratered. So they had to buy a bunch of stuff and liquidate others. Those proceeds had to be returned to maintain certain fund NAVs.

or something like that.

I didn't even notice it until about six months ago. It's in a Roth IRA so I don't look at the transactions very often. But I couldn't get the massive basis blip in Quicken to go away. The value stayed the same but the basis jumped massively.

I learned a very important lesson for zero cost to me.

edit: wait no that wasn't it at all. It was a rebalancing due to shifting ratios on the glide path.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I would not have any concern holding a large amount of money in a taxable account at fidelity. Very low risk. Sitting in a money market fund is an excellent choice while you take some time to figure out what to do with the money. Far better than buying/investing in something you regret or do not understand the tax implications.
              Money market funds are known for their stability and liquidity, making them an excellent temporary holding option while you decide on a long-term investment strategy. They provide a safe place to park your cash with relatively low risk while you explore other investment opportunities. I've been using ****edConsumer features to get clear, unbiased reviews and feedback on various financial products and services. This helps me understand potential pitfalls and advantages, ensuring that I make well-informed decisions
              Last edited by alicestevens; 06-20-2024, 03:32 AM.

Comment

• AIicestevens should sounds smart...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Jobs report strong, but one number hit home- number of people unemployed 27 weeks or more is up 20%.

im also hearing that remote jobs are becoming fewer and fewer. That tracks because I feel like traffic here is worse than pre covid

Comment

• IIRC, I saw a piece sometime around Fall 2022 that indicated the percentage of the workforce still working from home full-time was less than 15%, so fully remote roles were already drying up leading into the 2023 layoffs. I do think quite a few folks, particularly in tech, have at least been able to work out hybrid arrangements where they only go into the office 2-3 days a week.

Comment

• My main job is from home

Here is Faux dealing with the numbers: https://www.threads.net/@aaron.rupar...zCyfxg2Q1NlIRg
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        IIRC, I saw a piece sometime around Fall 2022 that indicated the percentage of the workforce still working from home full-time was less than 15%, so fully remote roles were already drying up leading into the 2023 layoffs. I do think quite a few folks, particularly in tech, have at least been able to work out hybrid arrangements where they only go into the office 2-3 days a week.
                        Even if I could work from home full time, I wouldn't. 1-2 days per week is the sweet spot for me. Beyond that and it gets tough, as work and home life bleed together too much. I like the separation.

Comment

• We're pretty much all remote for my company in my area. Even when things reopened in mid-2021, I seemed to be the only person (other than the facilities/provisioning people who were there through the lockdown anyways) who actually came back in in an office that usually held around 150 people. And even I only did it for a few months. Then they moved the office to downtown SJ but it's only a few conferences rooms and several desks in a common area; they only want it used for larger important meetings, but for day to day stuff everything is remote. It's moot for me, my group is spread throughout the world so even if I went in I wouldn't actually be interacting with anyone there.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Even if I could work from home full time, I wouldn't. 1-2 days per week is the sweet spot for me. Beyond that and it gets tough, as work and home life bleed together too much. I like the separation.
                            Now that my office (and hospital system) are very close, I've gone from "f off, don't ask me to come into the office" to "I prefer to work from home but it's no big deal if I need to go in".

The ol lady and I both work from home full time, but have separate offices that are only offices. So when I turn off at the end of the day, I don't come back in here. It's nice.

When I lived in my old condo, my office was the living room and I hated it.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              IIRC, I saw a piece sometime around Fall 2022 that indicated the percentage of the workforce still working from home full-time was less than 15%, so fully remote roles were already drying up leading into the 2023 layoffs. I do think quite a few folks, particularly in tech, have at least been able to work out hybrid arrangements where they only go into the office 2-3 days a week.
                              I have the 2 WFH and 3 in-office days. My days in the office are only 4 hours, the remaining hours are also WFH, thanks to my manager on that last piont.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• We had about 300 people in the office in my division at HQ. Now it's just about a dozen. Everyone else works remote.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X