Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Saw another one today...awful.
    Are you guys sure you're not just seeing the same one?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Can someone explain this to me-

closed on my home. Proceeds sitting in checking account as title company said transferring to a big bank is easiest.

is a money market fund with fidelity safe? Or a hysa ? I know I could do t-bonds.
      Money market should be FDiC insured up to $250k, same as a checking or savings account.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Dr. Pepper is now the #2 soda (pop) in the USA.
        Hated it as a kid. I now drink one every month or so as a guilty pleasure.

Comment

Can someone explain this to me-

closed on my home. Proceeds sitting in checking account as title company said transferring to a big bank is easiest.

is a money market fund with fidelity safe? Or a hysa ? I know I could do t-bonds.
          Yeah, it's basically as good as treasury bonds for all intents and purposes. (Usually because they're heavily invested in bills and bonds, sometimes exclusively depending on the offering.) Slightly more risky but not by much.

make sure you spread it between accounts if it's more than $250k. Not sure if fidelity does that automatically. I thought I read something about them doing that.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Money market should be FDiC insured up to $250k, same as a checking or savings account.
            I have fidelity accounts and googling keeps returning that they are not fdic insured

but the internet is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Yeah, it's basically as good as treasury bonds for all intents and purposes. (Usually because they're heavily invested in bills and bonds, sometimes exclusively depending on the offering.) Slightly more risky but not by much.

make sure you spread it between accounts if it's more than $250k. Not sure if fidelity does that automatically. I thought I read something about them doing that.
              Yeah I’m just gonna call my accountant to be safe

Comment

• Good plan
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I have fidelity accounts and googling keeps returning that they are not fdic insured

but the internet is always right
                  Brokerage accounts are not FDIC insured.

Also, it’s highly doubtful that Fidelity is going under any time soon, so I wouldn’t give it too much worry. They have too many ERISA and pensions plans under trust and management. Big money, no whammy.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Also, it’s highly doubtful that Fidelity is going under any time soon, so I wouldn’t give it too much worry. They have too many ERISA and pensions plans under trust and management. Big money, no whammy.
                    Yeah I more need to understand tax implications. I know a little about mutual funds vs ETF, things like that

Comment

If it's in a brokerage I believe it's covered by SIPC. Which still means it's insured. Just not by the full faith and credit.
                      Code:

Comment

Yeah I more need to understand tax implications. I know a little about mutual funds vs ETF, things like that
                        Stay far, far, far away from things like target funds if you're looking at mutual funds in a brokerage. Google VFORX December 2021 on Bogleheads. Some people lost a small fortune to taxes.
                        Code:

Comment

Stay far, far, far away from things like target funds if you're looking at mutual funds in a brokerage. Google VFORX December 2021 on Bogleheads. Some people lost a small fortune to taxes.
                          Thanks! Don’t think I own any mutual funds- my taxable accounts are etf or company stock

Comment

https://www.morningstar.com/columns/...get-date-funds

(I have no idea, just saw this. Did they lose a small fortune because of churn? Because of fees?)
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If it's in a brokerage I believe it's covered by SIPC. Which still means it's insured. Just not by the full faith and credit.
                              SIPC had completely slipped my mind. If your brokerage is a member, and fidelity is, then you’re protected up to $500k for investments and $250k cash. I don’t know if CDs would qualify as investments, cash or cash equivalents.

https://www.sipc.org/
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

SIPC had completely slipped my mind. If your brokerage is a member, and fidelity is, then you’re protected up to $500k for investments and $250k cash. I don’t know if CDs would qualify as investments, cash or cash equivalents.

https://www.sipc.org/
                                Everyone forgets SIPC.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X