Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Eat Cereal for Dinner

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    The lawyers?
    And the business owners, and the people running the business. They're all getting bank.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

      So let me get this straight. They bought and merged with Dow (2015-2017), spun off the plastics/materials science division into a new entity that retained the Dow Chemical name and the agribusiness division into a new entity called Corteva (both in 2019), reverted the specialty products division to the DuPont name, and now they're going to split that into 3 additional new, public entities.

      So who's getting really, really rich after all this presumed finagling of business & tax law?
      It's almost like cleaving off fatal liabilities is easier when you do it bit by bit, chunk by chunk, until you're only left with the liabilities and all the assets have been safely spun off.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

      Comment


      • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It's almost like cleaving off fatal liabilities is easier when you do it bit by bit, chunk by chunk, until you're only left with the liabilities and all the assets have been safely spun off.
        And then that piece holding all the liabilities declares bankruptcy, and voila!!!
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by rufus View Post

          And then that piece holding all the liabilities declares bankruptcy, and voila!!!
          The legal way to welch.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

            The legal way to welch.
            Yes and no. Companies have recently been told 'no' when trying to spin it off or declare bankruptcy.

            This is the first time I've seen getting rid of it by long division, lacking a better term. I've never seen multistep, multiyear spin offs to leave the liability behind.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

              Yes and no. Companies have recently been told 'no' when trying to spin it off or declare bankruptcy.

              This is the first time I've seen getting rid of it by long division, lacking a better term. I've never seen multistep, multiyear spin offs to leave the liability behind.
              Oh it's been happening for years it's just not usually as public.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

              "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

              Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

              Comment


              • I’ve been trying to figure this one out. Went to the store last night to grab some condiments for a get together this weekend. Figured I would just grab the smallest bottles of each. Get to the ketchup and Heinz had 14, 20, and 32oz next to eachother. The 32oz was on sale for $3.50. The 20oz was priced regularly for $3.65. The 14oz was also priced regularly, but for $3.99.

                I kept staring at them like Mr. Burns deciding between ketchup and catsup. Surely the 14oz had to be organic, or simply, or something different, but nope, it was regular Heinz like the other two. The smaller bottles are almost always more expensive per ounce, but never more expensive in total. And then because the 32oz was on sale I ended up getting more than double what I wanted for cheaper.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                1966, 1986, 2007

                Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                Comment


                • DuPont is going down, forever chemicals
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

                  Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                    I’ve been trying to figure this one out. Went to the store last night to grab some condiments for a get together this weekend. Figured I would just grab the smallest bottles of each. Get to the ketchup and Heinz had 14, 20, and 32oz next to eachother. The 32oz was on sale for $3.50. The 20oz was priced regularly for $3.65. The 14oz was also priced regularly, but for $3.99.

                    I kept staring at them like Mr. Burns deciding between ketchup and catsup. Surely the 14oz had to be organic, or simply, or something different, but nope, it was regular Heinz like the other two. The smaller bottles are almost always more expensive per ounce, but never more expensive in total. And then because the 32oz was on sale I ended up getting more than double what I wanted for cheaper.
                    Sales get complicated in this respect. You can have a manufacturer mandated sale (Heinz says that product X will cost $z.zz from May 24-31) or stores doing their own markdowns within the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) guidelines set by a manufacturer. In the latter case, "mega deals" are designed to bring people in the door (and fill their carts with other, normal priced items). They are sold at cost or even less, since it's know that although the store is losing $0.15 on each bottle of ketchup they move, most customers will have $X.xx amount of profit in the rest of their cart that negates the loss of the ketchup.

                    Being the #1 "grilling" holiday, stores know that people will know they need to buy condiments, so using those to catch someone's eye will get them in the store.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

                      Sales get complicated in this respect. You can have a manufacturer mandated sale (Heinz says that product X will cost $z.zz from May 24-31) or stores doing their own markdowns within the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) guidelines set by a manufacturer. In the latter case, "mega deals" are designed to bring people in the door (and fill their carts with other, normal priced items). They are sold at cost or even less, since it's know that although the store is losing $0.15 on each bottle of ketchup they move, most customers will have $X.xx amount of profit in the rest of their cart that negates the loss of the ketchup.

                      Being the #1 "grilling" holiday, stores know that people will know they need to buy condiments, so using those to catch someone's eye will get them in the store.
                      I get the sale price being cheaper, that one makes sense, but the 14oz being more expensive than the 20oz, both at their normal price, I just can’t comprehend that scaling. Unless what you’re describing applies to normal pricing too.
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                      1966, 1986, 2007

                      Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

                        I get the sale price being cheaper, that one makes sense, but the 14oz being more expensive than the 20oz, both at their normal price, I just can’t comprehend that scaling. Unless what you’re describing applies to normal pricing too.
                        Compare a 20oz bottle of Coke at the register refrigerators with a 2l bottle in the aisle.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

                        Comment


                        • Looking forward to Pride Month, sponsored by the SCP Foundation, Abstergo, Weyland-Utani, the Umbrella Corporation, and Mom's Friendly Robot Company.
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

                          Comment


                          • An Ohio billionaire will attempt prove deep sea submersibles are safer after Ocean Gate by taking another one down to the ruins of the Titanic.

                            Submarine memes are back on the menu.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                              An Ohio billionaire will attempt prove deep sea submersibles are safer after Ocean Gate by taking another one down to the ruins of the Titanic.

                              Submarine memes are back on the menu.
                              We’re going to need a bigger Titanic annualized death graph.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

                              "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

                              "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

                              Comment


                              • This one made of fiberglass too?
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X