No announcement yet.

Business, Economics, and Taxes: Eat Cereal for Dinner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here in Grand Rapids, they're paying up to $16/hour.

Most employees will never see that $16.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• I made north of $11 at my fast food job in my final year. In like 2005.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

Yes. Here is what I quoted:

The food is no longer cheap and yet they're still not paying an honest wage. It was cheap before because they didn't think they could charge more. Again their margins have never been better and yet they've raised their prices not because of raised wages. Maybe you think you're making a point but it's poorly worded if so.
        No my point was made...you just are trying to jump off it to prove something else. What is happening now has zero to do with what I was saying.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          Here in Grand Rapids, they're paying up to $16/hour.

Most employees will never see that $16.
          The McD’s near my house had wages starting at $15/hr and up. The Home Depot listed at $16.50-19.50 starting, depending upon type of work. I think Walmart was starting at $12/hr and a complimentary bulletproof vest.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I made north of $11 at my fast food job in my final year. In like 2005.
            $2.90, baby!

Up from $2.35 at my first job.

That's what I call mobility.

Of course, a house only cost $38 then.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

The McD’s near my house had wages starting at $15/hr and up. The Home Depot listed at $16.50-19.50 starting, depending upon type of work. I think Walmart was starting at $12/hr and a complimentary bulletproof vest.
              Garbage truck drivers start at $27 plus full benefits. Plus if you finish early, they pay you for your full shift.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I was floored by the difference in job offers i saw driving home last Christmas, specifically the comparison of job offers for gas station cashiers.

Around my far west Chicago suburb: "Starting pay of $15/hr!"
                Driving through Green Bay, Wisconsin: "Up to $15/hr with experience."

Both were national brands owned locally (not the same brand or franchisee), but economically, both my suburb and Green Bay are similar for cost of living. Sure there's a steep drop of for COL outside Green Bay that I don't have here in Illinois, but it was still jarring to see.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• UPS is $21 an hour, moving up to $23 in a few years, plus benefits.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    UPS is $21 an hour, moving up to $23 in a few years, plus benefits.
                    According to a friend who's been a sorter (among other roles) at UPS for like 25 years, this is correct. However, at least where he works, they've reduced the staffing number requirements, and are offering to send people home if they're "over staffed" (they aren't, they never are), and are softly suggesting/requiring that those who stay work OT. So my friend, who needs to pay his bills, stays and ends up working 2-4 hours OT every night. He's cleaning up, but management has made it abundantly clear that the OT - while not "required", is absolutely required.

So they reduce headcount and punish staff for their new raises. Payroll costs stay about the same (subtract those that went home, add the OT), and remind the employees who their masters truly are.

In my friend's case, he's been there so long he would take an enormous pay cut trying to leave.
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      Both were national brands owned locally (not the same brand or franchisee), but economically, both my suburb and Green Bay are similar for cost of living. Sure there's a steep drop of for COL outside Green Bay that I don't have here in Illinois, but it was still jarring to see.
                      Green Bay is also a pretty red area, so they wouldn't have any local laws dictating a higher minimum wage, nor as much pressure to pay that high. Remember, Republicans are the kind of people who invite their waiters to pray with them as a tip.

Comment

• I’m about 2-3 weeks from pulling my house from the market. The buyer pool is just not large right now for anything over 400. Pieces of crap are going for over asking price around 350.

I spent most of my money getting house ready to sell, now I can’t sell and I can’t really afford it, either. I dropped price by 40k last week and it really didn’t generate any viewings and I’m told what I’m experiencing is being felt by many. My realtor said I could drop price more and it may not matter because there’s still no buyers.

people are waiting for rates to come down but it’s likely prices go up as soon as that happens. You’re better off buying now, making high payments and then refinancing for free when rates are lowered

I hate everything right now. I’ve made decisions to try and put myself in a decent financial position and nothing is going to plan. This just highlights why I want out of home ownership

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Green Bay is also a pretty red area, so they wouldn't have any local laws dictating a higher minimum wage, nor as much pressure to pay that high. Remember, Republicans are the kind of people who invite their waiters to pray with them as a tip.
                          Not anymore
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

According to a friend who's been a sorter (among other roles) at UPS for like 25 years, this is correct. However, at least where he works, they've reduced the staffing number requirements, and are offering to send people home if they're "over staffed" (they aren't, they never are), and are softly suggesting/requiring that those who stay work OT. So my friend, who needs to pay his bills, stays and ends up working 2-4 hours OT every night. He's cleaning up, but management has made it abundantly clear that the OT - while not "required", is absolutely required.

So they reduce headcount and punish staff for their new raises. Payroll costs stay about the same (subtract those that went home, add the OT), and remind the employees who their masters truly are.

In my friend's case, he's been there so long he would take an enormous pay cut trying to leave.
                            Except they do that, then get hit with a massive pile of grievances for contract violations (especially if anyone in management even thinks about doing anything) and end up paying out a ton in compensation.

That’s been the next step from our union president: contract enforcement.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              I’m about 2-3 weeks from pulling my house from the market. The buyer pool is just not large right now for anything over 400. Pieces of crap are going for over asking price around 350.

I spent most of my money getting house ready to sell, now I can’t sell and I can’t really afford it, either. I dropped price by 40k last week and it really didn’t generate any viewings and I’m told what I’m experiencing is being felt by many. My realtor said I could drop price more and it may not matter because there’s still no buyers.

people are waiting for rates to come down but it’s likely prices go up as soon as that happens. You’re better off buying now, making high payments and then refinancing for free when rates are lowered

I hate everything right now. I’ve made decisions to try and put myself in a decent financial position and nothing is going to plan. This just highlights why I want out of home ownership
                              Are there not as many cash buyers out there? I think the majority of sales around here now are cash so the rates impact the supply more than the demand.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Cash buyers pay more than people who finance up where you live, Drew? Because I’d think most cash buyers are offering well below market value on houses…

Comment

Working...
                                X