• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MichVandal
    replied
    Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post

If that's all you have...fine.
    Just keep showing you're a snob.
    Eventually you'll just be talking to yourself.
    I learned a long time ago that I'm not worthy to be a fan, because I also wanted to make the MLS more serious. Don't worry, the MLS won't miss you, apparently.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    Spain become the first to win the tournament four times.

Spain's men's team are European champions and the women are the World Cup champions. Not a bad 12 months for Spain.

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied
    Heck of a game! Viva Espana!!!

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    England ties it up!

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    The social media focus right now seems to be on Herve Renard. He’s the current manager of France’s women’s team. He’s one of those managers whose record looks impressive on first glance but starts to crack when you start dig into it.

Won the AFCON with Zambia (2012) and Ivory Coast (2015).

Has managed Morocco and Saudi Arabia at the World Cup, including beating Argentina in Qatar.

But when you start to dig past the accomplishments his recent history is… not great. France probably should’ve done better at the World Cup. Aside from beating Argentina, the Saudis were awful. Lost to Poland and Mexico in Qatar, went 0-3 and out at the Gulf Cup, and lost a friendly to Bolivia (one of only two wins for Bolivia lately). Morocco did qualify in 2018, no small feat, but he went 0-2-1 and out with a team that would make the semifinals four years later (granted that group had Portugal and Spain but they did also lose to Iran).

The guy seems like a mercenary, give him a load of money and two years before he moves to wherever will hire him. Maybe he’d work but I’m skeptical.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Those names look familiar. Nancy is the favorite at 6-1. Cherundolo was tied with others at 7-1. ESPN uses the odds makers from ESPNbets, so they could be based anywhere.
    Looked at the odds and yeah there are some head scratchers.

Javier Aguirre? The Mexican manager who got smoked by Bruce Arena in 2002 and then didn’t play Chicharito in 2010 and predictably lost? No thanks. Let Mexico recycle him after they inevitably lose at the Nations League and/or Gold Cup.

Matias Almeyda? Did pretty good at Chivas but was meh at San Jose. Outside of being foreign he’s not particularly different from any other candidate (unless we suddenly value Liga MX success far more than MLS success).

Didier Deschamps? Lol, no chance. He’s off to whatever big club wants him.

Frank Lampard? Because he’s done so well at Chelsea…

Vincent Kompany? Yeah, because he’s gonna leave Bayern Munich…

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

It's sad that I can't just block you because it would block the thread but you really are a *******.
    The MLS is considered a worldwide joke and I'm sorry if that offends you but it is. You want to raise the profile of soccer in this country You do it by caring about the World Cup not trying to prop up a domestic league that doesn't play by the worldwide rules and is considered by many high-end players to be nothing more than a retirement league

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied
    It's sad that I can't just block you because it would block the thread but you really are a *******.
    The MLS is considered a worldwide joke and I'm sorry if that offends you but it is. You want to raise the profile of soccer in this country You do it by caring about the World Cup not trying to prop up a domestic league that doesn't play by the worldwide rules and is considered by many high-end players to be nothing more than a retirement league

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Another MLS hire would just solidify for many that US soccer doesn't care if they blow a home World Cup.

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied
    Another MLS hire would just solidify for many that US soccer doesn't care if they blow a home World Cup.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    US or UK?

If it’s a UK oddsmaker I can kind of understand Gerard. He does manage a Saudi team and did play for the Galaxy. Still, not a real candidate.

Realistic bets, in order:

Steve Cherundolo (manager at LAFC)
    Wilfred Nancy (manager at Columbus)
    Peter Vermes (manager at Sporting Kansas City)
    Brian Schmetzer (manager at Seattle)
    Pellegrino Matarazzo (manager at Hoffenheim, US born)
    Jim Curtain (manager at Philadelphia)
    David Wagner (formerly at Norwich)
    Those names look familiar. Nancy is the favorite at 6-1. Cherundolo was tied with others at 7-1. ESPN uses the odds makers from ESPNbets, so they could be based anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The list of names the odds makers have drawn up after Klopp said no is a real head scratcher. Granted, I'm not much of a fan of MLS but I didn't even recognize half the names. Interesting to see Steven Gerrard on there at 9-to-1
    US or UK?

If it’s a UK oddsmaker I can kind of understand Gerard. He does manage a Saudi team and did play for the Galaxy. Still, not a real candidate.

Realistic bets, in order:

Steve Cherundolo (manager at LAFC)
    Wilfred Nancy (manager at Columbus)
    Peter Vermes (manager at Sporting Kansas City)
    Brian Schmetzer (manager at Seattle)
    Pellegrino Matarazzo (manager at Hoffenheim, US born)
    Jim Curtain (manager at Philadelphia)
    David Wagner (formerly at Norwich)

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    The list of names the odds makers have drawn up after Klopp said no is a real head scratcher. Granted, I'm not much of a fan of MLS but I didn't even recognize half the names. Interesting to see Steven Gerrard on there at 9-to-1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X