Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Survivor: Heroes vs. Villians

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
    I know he thinks he played everyone along the way and was control of the game, but I think it might have been the opposite this season. Parvati played him the entire way and Sandra played it brilliantly. Parvati knew she might end up going along with some things she didn't like along the way, but she also knew she could beat Russell in a jury vote because he would look like he made all of the calls because of his reactionary and aggressive nature.
    To paraphrase Parvati...

"Russell was my dragon. I kept him around the entire game like a pet"

Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Perhaps her tie to Russel was her undoing.
      Which for the heroes is ridicuous when you think about. The heroes are the ones who tried to use Russell in order to get rid of Parvati before the merge. And when that failed, they had Amanda lie to her face in order to get her to play the idol. So in reality the heroes should have had no gripe with her whatsoever
      Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        The worst thing- Russell has no idea why he lost. Twice. Not a clue. Well, or at least he just claims not to care at all. IMHO, the ONLY reason he made it that far was that nobody saw his season, and his style of play. They were *close* to doing it quick, but nobody put it all together early enough.
        He was hoping that they would reward gameplay, but they did not. The consequences of his actions was something he couldn't see. He doesn't understand that personal feeling are taken into account more often in this game than actual gameplay. Backstabbing in the end didn't get him the win.
        Originally posted by Bakunin
        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
          That said, Russell can never play this game again because he will be voted off quickly.
          I wouldn't vote him off, I'd stick right with him. Clearly people won't vote to give him the money the way he plays, and that's the kind of person I would want sitting next to me at the end.
          04-05 Pick Your Bow(e)ls Champion
          USCHO Virtual Stock Exchange Guru

Originally posted by Dirty
          I don't think you're weird, just a completely worthless sack of monkey poo.
          Originally posted by UMDBulldogHockeyIsKing
          I am saying it right here. ajoyce is the HA guru.

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
            I wouldn't vote him off, I'd stick right with him. Clearly people won't vote to give him the money the way he plays, and that's the kind of person I would want sitting next to me at the end.
            If Russell ever got invited to play again though I'd have to think that he'd consider changing up his gameplay a little bit and learn that the previous two ways he played won't win him the money.

But, then again, it sounds like he doesn't care all too much. He certainly doesn't need the money. He won over 250K in the last year between the two seasons he played on Survivor and winning the money from Sprint as the player of the season.

He might have even won the player of the season in his first season, which would give him 350K between the two bonuses and his finish place money.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
              She's done that twice now.... not win a thing until the final vote. I think Russell won the vote because of his play. Russell didn't take into account how much personal feelings are taken into account in the jury's vote. Russell thought that since they were "all stars" that they would vote based on game play and not personal feelings. He's played twice now and been burned twice by the same reason. They didn't vote based on play, they voted based on how much of an arsehole he is. (although, if based on gameplay, this one could have gone to either Parv or Russell and I'm leaning towards Parv on the greater number of challenges she won.) That said, Russell can never play this game again because he will be voted off quickly.
              This is a perfect summary of the season and the final vote.

It would be interesting if there was a show on the jury sitting around while the last few weeks (in their time, days) play out. It seems like the people who stay in the game have a very different attitude towards the inevitable deceptions -- they take it more in stride. The jurors simmer in their own resentments. It was striking how juvenile many of the jurors' remarks were this time around. I think they must drink and kvetch and sharpen their grievances while sequestered.

I think this season did prove that you can't win only on the merits -- you have to have some of Parvati's false charm or Sandra's false sincerity. Because once you can fake those...

Russell took over the top of the standings from Little B Hat as the best player of all time when he assassinated him this season, but he would rise in my estimation if he were to play one more time and be all sweetness and light. That would be truly terrifying.

Oh, and my wife suggested they fire Peachy and make Coach the host. I agree 100%.
              Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Russell took over the top of the standings from Little B Hat as the best player of all time when he assassinated him this season, but he would rise in my estimation if he were to play one more time and be all sweetness and light. That would be truly terrifying.
                Who thinks Rob is the best player of all time??? I sure don't. Good, yes. But he's never won. 3 times around, now. His best move was to get engaged to the eventual winner.

As for Russell- I honestly think he will never be given the chance to be falsely sweet or nice- he'll be gone at vote 1. What's really funny about Russell is that it would not take much change to alter his game to "play to win" as little B put it- some of those "deceptions" were pointless, and getting directly into people faces were also dumb as well as pointless. Say that time he called Rupert a Dumb-A to his face- what value does that add? Or when he's telling people to their face- "that was a bad move" or "you should not have done that" - or whatever. The #1 bad move on his part was to belittle every other player.

Even more fun- with the numbers he generally had, he could have NOT voted for some of the people going out, and been truthful saying that he didn't vote for them. Just be wishy washy a few times, and a lot of that evil label goes away.

Still, I don't think he would ever do that- personal relationships are not part of the game to him, when it's pretty much the entire game.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  What's really funny about Russell is that it would not take much change to alter his game to "play to win" as little B put it- some of those "deceptions" were pointless, and getting directly into people faces were also dumb as well as pointless. Say that time he called Rupert a Dumb-A to his face- what value does that add? Or when he's telling people to their face- "that was a bad move" or "you should not have done that" - or whatever. The #1 bad move on his part was to belittle every other player.
                  And I think the way he went about ousting Danielle was probably the last nail in the coffin.

Anyway here is an interesting take about last night.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2035...369851,00.html

And I think he stressed the point I made regarding Parvati below....

That is Russell's fatal flaw: He simply can't credit anyone else for anything. Although even he admitted that Parvati should have won this time around. And he's right. But Parvati simply couldn't get enough votes from the Heroes who had tried so desperately to get rid of her even before they had merged — think about how incredible that is. Has anyone ever been that targeted while on the other side of the island? Yet they then couldn't bring themselves to vote for her after they were so unsuccessful in their attempts. Also interesting to note: In terms of the Villains that played with Parvati and Sandra from the start, Parvati got three votes, Sandra got one.
                  Fighting the good fight

Comment

I interpreted Russell saying that Parvati should have won as just another finger in Sandra's eye. It's true that he never gives anybody else credit, even when it's the right move strategically. He and Boston Rob are both classic authoritarian personalities, but Rob knows to hide it.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      If Russell ever got invited to play again though I'd have to think that he'd consider changing up his gameplay a little bit and learn that the previous two ways he played won't win him the money.

But, then again, it sounds like he doesn't care all too much. He certainly doesn't need the money. He won over 250K in the last year between the two seasons he played on Survivor and winning the money from Sprint as the player of the season.

He might have even won the player of the season in his first season, which would give him 350K between the two bonuses and his finish place money.
                      and according to him last season he is already a millionaire
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by ajoyce02 View Post
                        That's reason #1. Reason #2 is people don't want to make a play for him and then have to deal with the aftermath if it fails. I agree with many of the comments about Russell. He's a funny contrast in that he runs so hot when he thinks anyone is out to get him, yet he has no clue about the emotional side of the game others may be experiencing when he has no idea why they wouldn't vote for him in the end on the merit he is one of the greatest pure strategists Survivor has ever seen.
                        Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                        2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                        2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                        Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

One of the reasons Survivor is so unexpectedly interesting is the personality characteristics that come up again and again. There's a type who just refuses to see some parts of the game as valid. The epitome is Russell, who actually said (and meant) that "there must be a flaw in the game" if Sandra wins over him. Other competitors over the years have followed Coach in believing that deceit is somehow outside the game.

The game is an exercise in practical ethics, mostly because of the different way players respond within it. The fact that people again and again endanger their chance at a genuine reward, money, in preference to being perceived to be a certain way, all within the bounds of a completely arbitrary game, is fascinating.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            One of the reasons Survivor is so unexpectedly interesting is the personality characteristics that come up again and again. There's a type who just refuses to see some parts of the game as valid. The epitome is Russell, who actually said (and meant) that "there must be a flaw in the game" if Sandra wins over him. Other competitors over the years have followed Coach in believing that deceit is somehow outside the game.
                            What I always find interesting is that season after season the jury shows themselves to be the biggest hypocrites when they judge the final contestants for doing things that they themselves have done and would have done. The best example this year being Candace. The holier than thou way she berated Parvati for not knowing when to get out of an "abusive relationship" with Russell was hilarious given the fact the minute she saw the numbers were against her after JT was booted she joined up with Russell. And I have no doubt she would have stayed with him if it meant advancing to the end.

Fighting the good fight

Comment

Originally posted by SPIN CONTROL View Post
                              What I always find interesting is that season after season the jury shows themselves to be the biggest hypocrites when they judge the final contestants for doing things that they themselves have done and would have done. The best example this year being Candace. The holier than thou way she berated Parvati for not knowing when to get out of an "abusive relationship" with Russell was hilarious given the fact the minute she saw the numbers were against her after JT was booted she joined up with Russell. And I have no doubt she would have stayed with him if it meant advancing to the end.

I know you could say this about a lot of things...But, Candice was the sole reason why the final three was all Villains and not all Heroes.

Stupid ^*%*%&

Looking back on the season...very disappointed that Stephenie was sent home so quickly. The Heroes eliminated one of their best assests right off the bat. She was the girl on their side that could have hung with Parvarti in the challenges.

Like i said before the final episode. Parvarti has it all. She's the complete package for this game and that's why she's never been voted off.

It will be interesting to see if she gets the chance to play again.
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

After watching the show on DVR today, Russell just doesnt get it. His "me first" attitude stinks. I'm going to send in an applicatio for the next couple of cycles, so hopefully I'll be playing one day, and make an All-Star version, then I will be the one to get out Parvati and Sandra, I'll be an idol on USCHO. LOL. Nicaragua should be interesting. I also think the next cycle of All-Stars should be from Nicaragua on, new decade, new reality stars.
                                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Working...
                                X