Covid 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I think I've seen the same think about wearing helmets while riding motorcycles. It's a grand conspiracy to enrich Bell Helmets at the expense of experiencing nature. God will protect you.

Well, until he doesn't.
    Safety equipment turns you gay.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Real men don't need airbags, helmets, or safety belts!
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

If they did that, wouldn't they need to change the process? Didn't the COVID vaccine originate from a fairly new method of understanding the virus, meaning it actually can somewhat quickly react to change vs. the prediction for the flu vaccine?
        Pulling in a few threads - and please keep in mind that I'm not a scientist nor a clinical person, this is all from what I've read, what's been explained to me by clinical folks that I work with and/or trust, and that I've used to help design workflows for the healthcare system I work for. Do not substitute actual clinical information and advice for the stuff I say. See your doctor.

The Moderna and Pfizer covid vaccines are mRNA-based, which is different from previous vaccine technologies. https://www.wedovaccines.com/about-vaccines#how - some helpful info by Novavax. But there are multiple types of vaccines in use today, there aren't "covid is different and all the rest are the same" that you hear from the derps. There have been a lot of advancements in vaccine research and technology over the years. There are multiple "types". Multiple ways to administer.

There are also combination vaccines like the MMR, which blends vaccines for measles, mumps and rubella (hence the name). I hope that we can, eventually, wrap seasonal vaccines into one mRNA "shot", where Covid, influenza and possibly others can be administered all at once. I do think we'll get there, but not soon.

And yes, to whomever mentioned that the CDC is the main developer of the flu shot, and then other companies manufacture it. Absolutely correct. But no one knows or cares about that like they do with Covid.

edit to add: all of this is even more to say that the right wing anti-vax movement is 100% counter-factual and is aggressively ignorant and/or purposefully misleading.
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Why get Covid vaccine if paxlovid is effective? Am I wrong on that?
          I’m getting flu shot tomorrow while at docs for another reason and probably rsv vax at some point. I’m hesitant to get a bunch of shots at once.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Why get Covid vaccine if paxlovid is effective? Am I wrong on that?
            I’m getting flu shot tomorrow while at docs for another reason and probably rsv vax at some point. I’m hesitant to get a bunch of shots at once.
            Because prevention > treatment? And the benefit of not getting sick? Or developing a rebound case, as is common with Paxlovid? Or the literally zillion other possibilities? Paxlovid has to be administered pretty much immediately, so what if you miss that few day window? Or what if you're one of the unlucky few where it doesn't do anything?

This is like asking why wear a seatbelt if we can just cast up broken bones.
            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Why keep your hands in the bus if they have prosthetics.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Those new blade leg prosthetics are awesome. You can run like the wind with them. I'm hacking my legs off right now so I can get a pair.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Because prevention > treatment? And the benefit of not getting sick? Or developing a rebound case, as is common with Paxlovid? Or the literally zillion other possibilities? Paxlovid has to be administered pretty much immediately, so what if you miss that few day window? Or what if you're one of the unlucky few where it doesn't do anything?

It's their normal response... It's all or nothing for these people.
                  Masks don't completely stop it? Don't wear them.
                  Vaccine doesn't completely stop it? Don't get it.
                  It didn't kill you? You're fine.
                  It's how they think for some reason...it's never about diminishing effects or the efficacy of it it's all or nothing.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Why get Covid vaccine if paxlovid is effective? Am I wrong on that?
                    I get a flu in one arm then the pneumonia in the other without a problem. Then when the Covid vax came out I got that in one arm, and the other 2 in the other arm. BIG mistake. My arm turned hot to the touch and red from my shoulder to my elbow. They said it was just an antibody overload for the system getting 2 in one arm.

A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Between this and your "defamatory" quip on the Cars thread, your homophobia seems to be showing, eh Kep ...
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Those new blade leg prosthetics are awesome. You can run like the wind with them. I'm hacking my legs off right now so I can get a pair.
                        Good news then, rufus! Now maybe you can get off the dole & get back to work, I'm tired of paying for your free stuff ...

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                          I get a flu in one arm then the pneumonia in the other without a problem. Then when the Covid vax came out I got that in one arm, and the other 2 in the other arm. BIG mistake. My arm turned hot to the touch and red from my shoulder to my elbow. They said it was just an antibody overload for the system getting 2 in one arm.
                          If you just sucked it up and got two (or three) in each arm, it would've balanced itself out. Frickin' novice ...

Comment

• You've never paid a goddam thing for me. You've paid more for Donnie-boy's legal fees.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Whenever Chuck, Whalers, or Jeb2020 come to debate on here from a Republican perspective, all I can picture is Theoden from LOTR screaming “Is this all you can conjure, Saruman?!”

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Doesn't paxlovid carry some potentially very serious, albeit rare, side effects? Iirc, you can't have weak kidneys.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X