No announcement yet.

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been shut down already. There's little chance of it having an issue.

More importantly, this dam had a massive reservoir behind it. Massive. 18 cubic km of water. It also provided up to 350 MW of power.

just an absolute disaster. There is no way they are going to be able to stop this from emptying and flooding everything downstream.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Interesting. This may have just failed. Look at the images from earlier this week in the thread.

https://twitter.com/gbrumfiel/status...6n8mNDLiymZKlg

also possible this was intentional. Fill the dam as high as it goes until it fails or you blow it up.
      Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-06-2023, 09:13 AM.
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It's been shut down already. There's little chance of it having an issue.
        It still needs water intake to maintain cooling during the shutdown, so there is still a crisis looming in the coming weeks if the cooling reservoirs aren't replenished.

Agreed on the downstream disaster.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

also possible this was intentional. Fill the dam as high as it goes until it fails or you blow it up.
          Almost impossible that it wasn't intentional. Zelensky release a report saying the only way the dam could have failed would be if it was mined and detonated from inside.

So that leaves terrorism or Russia, and cui bono indicates Russia.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Also, this:

Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well, Russia milbloggers blamed Ukraine for it, so we know who did it now.
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

It still needs water intake to maintain cooling during the shutdown, so there is still a crisis looming in the coming weeks if the cooling reservoirs aren't replenished.

Agreed on the downstream disaster.
                From what I've read, the water demand is extremely low. CLoser to months rather than weeks. Could still go into a more complete shutdown if necessary, though, you generally like to avoid that.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Almost impossible that it wasn't intentional. Zelensky release a report saying the only way the dam could have failed would be if it was mined and detonated from inside.

So that leaves terrorism or Russia, and cui bono indicates Russia.
                  I mean, maybe? Dams that are overtopped typically don't stand to last very long. Especially one that hasn't been maintained properly for a year and a half... and took damage from shells. There's a reason you have emergency spillways, just in case....
                  Code:

Comment

WaPo published an absolute bombshell (no pun intended) this morning:

Edit: Here's my gift link to let everyone read it: https://wapo.st/3qv7vVI
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-07-2023, 08:44 AM.
                    Code:

Comment

Thanks for gifting. That’s an even crazier story than the divers being trained at Panama City Beach. I hope the fallout isn’t too severe, but if I were Germany, I’d be royally pis-ed off.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post

Thanks for gifting. That’s an even crazier story than the divers being trained at Panama City Beach. I hope the fallout isn’t too severe, but if I were Germany, I’d be royally pis-ed off.
                        I should gift more often. I didn't know I got ten per month.

Anyways. The German government knew for almost a year now. The German people... this could be the most important day since the war began. Most of Europe has clenched their teeth and begrudgingly supported the war. I'm sure, at least in the short term, this will really hurt that support.

If they take a step back, count to ten, and take a deep breath, I think this was ultimately the right thing to do and was inevitable (the cutting off of gas supply). Easy for me to say that, but just goes to show how being a government is significantly more complicated than we would like to admit.

Being able to quietly put this aside and continue to send weapons and aid into Ukraine shows the German government understood their complicated responsibility. I hope the German people reach that same conclusion.
                        Code:

Comment

In all honesty that's not something I would have published. Even if Ivan knew, which probably, public acknowledgement forces them to do some posturing action.

We're playing with nukes. Let's not lose life on earth for WaPo's shareprice.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Interesting. Not sure how I missed it, but the WaPo had published an article back in march about this as well.

and the article I posted was from yesterday morning. Somehow I missed it in the news cycle. Seems telling.
                            Code:

Comment

I had read that somewhere else as well.

What I don't get is, why would Ukraine do that? It's a much larger risk to their relationship with their European allies than any damage to Russia's Treasury.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I had read that somewhere else as well.

What I don't get is, why would Ukraine do that? It's a much larger risk to their relationship with their European allies than any damage to Russia's Treasury.
                                Well, do you roll the dice on Europe doing the right thing or make certain your enemy's primary income stream is cut off and risk relationships?
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X